• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Problems with left rear turn signal

Danne

I have fixed some electrical faults now. I got the panel lights working! Wooha!:smile: But now my problem is the rear left turn signal. I have a 3000 -64 phase 2, with no separate turn signal. The right side works like a charm. On the left side only the front turn signal works. From what I have read on the forums it seems that the turn signals have two different relays that are important (correct me if I completely have misunderstood this). I have checked the rear left for voltage and it seems that it goes up and down when I have the signal for turning left swithed on, but it seems so be very low power. I also checked the power on the turn switch and it swithes power correctly. I have checked the flasher unit and I'm really not sure here. It seems strange that there are three wires going to just two pins (when there actually 3 pins on the flasher) one is separate, and two are together connected to one. See pic.

I also tried to measure the turn signal relay (if I understand this correctly this is the thing that distributes the signals to the right lights - I'm soo lost at this, sorry). When I measured the blue marked pin, it at some point stopped the relay and it started to actually burn underneath it, just very small. Must have been som kind of short end. Well, now I'm a bit afraid to measure again. This happened when I had the turn signal to the right - which is the side that works on the car.

Anyone have a clue what is wrong here?

Danne

flasher-relay.jpgturn-signal-relay.jpg

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
Just change over the two wires on the rear flasher that's not working and make sure the earth wire is well grounded. Your problem is not with the flasher relay although you probably grounded it causing the short circuit. One of the two fuses next to where your flasher goes has also probably blown..

OP
D

Danne

"Just change over the two wires on the rear flasher that's not working"..Change it to where? I'm sorry, can you explain that a bit more Andrewss? (I'm still trying to learn electrics:smile:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Changing over the wires will not solve anything. They are two live wires but they are different. You will end up with a very bright indicator and a dim brake light. Check all the groundings and make sure there are no kinks in the wiring. The indicator flasher unit is very sensitive to any change in current.

OP
D

Danne

Thanks! I'm gonna check the groundings and wires. If you look on the picture with the flasher, are the connections ok? I mean is it right that there are two wires on one pin? "L" has one, "P" has none, "X" has two wires.

Danne

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Danne,

First, the relay you referenced to as the "Turn Signal Relay" us actually called the Brake Switch Override Relay. In Healeys using dual-filament single bulb rear lights, one filament is used to provide running light and the other filament for signal functions. To allow the application of a turn signal when the brakes are applied, the brake signal on the turning side must be overridden to allow the signal to flash on and off while the brake light remains applied steadily on the opposite (brake indication).

Brake%u0025252520Switch%u0025252520Relay.jpgPlease ignore the yellow relay in the picture.

Since you have a dim light when applying the directional signal to the left side, are you applying the brake at the same time (application of the brake override relay)? What is the intensity of the brake light when not applying the directional (bright, dim, ?)? Does your dash directional indicators illuminate for the direction selected (especially the left)?

When applying the brakes alone, if your brake lights are bright and steady, the bulb and connections to the socket are good. If the left brake light is dim or out, check the socket connections and bulb (exchange the bulb with the right indicator). If all seems fine, using a voltage gauge, check the level of power coming from the #3 connector on the Brake Override Relay and then check the level of power at the socket. If much lower at the socket then at the Brake Override Relay (you will need to disconnect the existing line from the BOR and light socket and replace it with a single line or new harness). However, if you find that power readings at the BOR #3 pad is low, you may have an internal contact within that unit that must be cleaned and refaced.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
D

Danne

Ray,

Thank you so much for your detailed and easy explanations. You are on the right track here. I hadn't even thought about the brake light, if that is functional or not. No, the left brake doesn't work. It's out.

The dash indicators work like they should and illuminates selected direction. Both illuminates when I brake.

I have checked the bulb and socket connections and they are good. When the pilot light is on and the left directional signal is applied I have 11volts.

However, when I test #3 on the BOR I get very low power.

So, it seems that something is wrong in the BOR. Cleaning an internal contact in there. Is that something that I can do?

Danne

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Danne,

To clarify:
1. Is the left brake light out when only the brakes areapplied?
2. Without turning on the turn signal and with the brakes applied, yourleft brake light is not light?
3. With only the brakes applied, (turn signals not active) bothdash directional indicators are illuminated?

If #1 is yes then I would again reexamine to validate the correct wiresare connected in the proper way at your sockets or if the dual-filament bulbsare faulty.

If I understand #2 is yes and both dash directional are illuminated whenapplying the brakes, you definitely have an issue with your connections orbulbs. This should not happen and, only when selected, should only thatside dash directional indicator be light. Your dash turn signal indicatorsshould not be light by anything associated with the brakes beingapplied.

When looking at all three conditions, I would expect that power is beingincorrectly directed through the brake circuit to the dash turn signalindicators and the needed ground is also being inanother incorrect line to create a circuit that allows theturn signal dash lights to come on. again, this condition could bethe result of a short in the rear harness that could have been caused when therear license plate light filled with water and shorted to heat the rear harnessand melt insulation within the wiring bundle. As it turns out, Healeyinstalled an in-line fuse close to the light pigtail sometime in thebeginning of BJ8 Phase 2 production to eliminate that risk. My BJ8 Phase1 did not have this fuse and I discovered its necessity after experiencing thisproblem.

Since power for brake and turn signal lighting is supplied from terminal#3 at the BOR and the left Brake/Directional contact at the socket, you shouldhave the same power value at both locations. Since you have indicated a very low voltage at the #3 contact butregister 11 volts at the socket, I suggest you could be getting this powerfrom another inappropriate circuit. Also, since you indicated the leftsignal light is not bright when the turn signal is activated, I would suspectthat the bulb filament is providing a backward path to power the dashdirectional lights which are using, again, a ground for another circuit.

Again, checkeach wire for both continuity and correct attachment for ALL front and rearRunning-lights/Directional/and Brake sockets. Make sure that the correctwires are attached to activate the correct filament in your multi-filament bulbsockets. Also, be sure you are registering the same voltage at BOR #3 andthe brake and directional contact at the left rear socket and make sure yourrear ground for the lights is good.

Sorry for beingso verbose.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
D

Danne

Hi Ray,

I'm very glad that you are verbose. It helps me to understand:smile:

I'll tell the answers on the clarifying questions first. While I try to sort the rest of your tips in my head.

To clarify:
1. Is the left brake light out when only the brakes areapplied?
The rear light is lighting, but the brake light (the brighter light) doesn't get bright when I brake.

2. Without turning on the turn signal and with the brakes applied, yourleft brake light is not light?
Correct. It doesn't get brighter when brakes are applied.

3. With only the brakes applied, (turn signals not active) bothdash directional indicators are illuminated?
Correct.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I haven't read everything here, but have you checked to see if the bulb is burned out in the rear? The dash lights coming on with the brakes is most likely from the wiring on the flasher unit. The dash wire should be by itself on the "P" (for panel) terminal on the flasher can.

OP
D

Danne

Ray and all others,

I wanna thank you a thousand times. I went through the wires again and found out whats wrong. It was a cable from the rear light that had been cut off in front of the torpedo wall. They had done a bad job putting it together again and there was just no connection. I connected the two ends and now it works like it should. Well, while I sit here typing I forgot to check if both dash indicators still is lit when brake is applied.

Thank you x 1000!

Danne