• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seat belts on a BJ8 -64 Phase 2

Danne

Hi,

When I got the car, last week, it had these kind of seat belts installed. But the shoulder guide is attached on the side interior (1). This seems a bit strange, or? I mean the side interior trim cant hold a crash's weight. What do I do to correct this? What are the correct seat belt anchor points located?
Or am I missing something?

Does anyone have pictures on their 3 point belt installation?

sideview.jpgtopview.jpg

/Danne

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The seat belts should anchor on the floor next to the drivers seat , the driveshaft tunnel and the rear wheel arch . The anchor in the rear wheel arch may be rectangular in shape but in later cars like mine it was round . Your car may have had the trim panels replaced and they didn't put the trim piece back in place where the anchor point is . Look in side the rear wheel arches from outside the car and you should be able to see the reinforcement plate in the wheel arch . You may have to jack the car up and pull the wheels off.
i only have the lap belts in my car so the anchor point just have a nice dome head nut on it .

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
#1 in your first photo, those two bolts to the right of #1 are for the seat belt.
Do not use the bolt in the 2nd photo. That panel is made of thin wood and can not take any force.

OP
D

Danne

Ok! I thought those two bolts were for back seat belts. But if I put the belt in those (that would be a non-retractable belt I guess) I will still get a bit weird angle on the belt, since it's going over my shoulder. Should it be any guide holding the belt, for the shoulder?

I can get new ones that are non retractable, but aren't there any solutions for retractable 3 point belts?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Original style were not retractable. Original did not have a guide for the shoulder.
People who have installed retractable ones hopefully will post with where and how installed. Maybe some photos too.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are articles in some of the older magazines like chatter that define how to install retractable seat belts in a Healey.

OP
D

Danne

Do I need a guide for the belt at the shoulder if I use the rear wheel anchor?

TH, I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna use a tonneau, but thats a good point.

Still hoping for anyone to post pictures, both on retractable 3 point, and non-retractable 3 point.

/Danne

OP
D

Danne

Keoke, I have googled for hours on pictures and tips on retractable belt installations with no luck:( Seems like it's not very common. If if were just me riding the car it would be fine with lap belt, but I want my 8 year old son to come along too, so it's mostly for his sake I want the three point (and preferably retractable).

/Danne

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Like this ,-)

Austin-Healey-3000-RearSeatBelt.jpg

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Okay, I don't claim to be an automotive safety engineer so take what I'm saying with all due caution. But I wonder how unsafe the shoulder harness guide location really is? The retracting belt mechanism is actually mounted by the floor (#2 in your picture) and the only thing the guide does is keep the belt from slipping off your shoulder. My 3-point belts are mounted at the standard mounting point (the two bolts mentioned by AUSMHLY) and my belt does slip off my shoulder. What would happen in your car in the event of a crash? I suspect the guide would tear from the panel, but the belt would still remain anchored to the floor.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keoke, I have googled for hours on pictures and tips on retractable belt installations with no luck:( Seems like it's not very common. If if were just me riding the car it would be fine with lap belt, but I want my 8 year old son to come along too, so it's mostly for his sake I want the three point (and preferably retractable).

/Danne

"YAHOO"-:glee:[h=3] Retractable Seat Belt - MG, Triumph, Austin ...[/h] www.victoriabritish.com/features/sm/smin1.htm

P.S. Over there a Tonneau would be very comforting.

OP
D

Danne

HealeyRick, yes if I don't misunderstand you point out exactly what is wrong with my seat belt installation. It's no good. In the event of a crash I suspect my shoulder is going to be pressed downwards. My back will be compressed. So I think I have to do like on Keokes picture (like you also have I guess), non-retractable belts. If it slips off it's still better than my installation. The angle of the belt seems much better. It won't cause the same "compression" I reckon. Or what do you think?

/Danne

OP
D

Danne

Biggreen, that is a non-retractable belt on your picture, right?

Keoke, the links you provided are nice retractable belts, but how are they installed, in a safety point of perspective?:smile: I can't find any installation guides anywhere.

/Danne

Last edited:

BBH

Country flag
Danne, you may want to contact Steve Thornton, as I note that he installed retractable seat belts on his rally tribute Healey and if the installation is anything like the standard of the other upgrades Steve has done, I am sure it will answer your questions. His web site is : https://www.stevesaustinhealey.com and I am sure you can get contact info from there.

Andy

OP
D

Danne

Now I have spoken to Steve Thomton, and yes he has installed 3-point retractable belts, but he has a different kind of car - a heavily modified healey. So it's not suitable for a more "original" car:( I guess the only way to go is to go with non-retraclable, like BigGreen has... Really strange there are no retractable solutions to a "original" car.

Danne

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Can the retractable unit be bolted where the two factory seat belt bolts are in the rear side panel?
Might require making an adaptor.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The problem with mounting them in the rear is that most re-tractors require a verticle mounting because they use a pendulum setup for the locking of the retract-er. This would put the belt having to exit straight up, impossible with a rear mounting.