• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear lights won't work correctly

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I'm trying to figure out a previous owners wiring on a TR4A that I bought. This my sound like a simple question, but I've never owned a TR4, so I need some help. My rear lights come on with the switch, but only the bottom/brake bulb. The brake lights also work correctly, but aren't the upper bulbs suppose to light also when I turn the lights on. All the wiring seems correct, but the upper bulbs only work with the turn signal and only on the passengers side. So, to start, I guess my question is, Should both the upper and lower bulbs light when the lights are turned on.?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
bluemiata90, Short answer, no. The lower bulb has two filaments, one for running lights and one for brakes and the top is only for signals, on the replacement lens for the light bracket the lens are yellow on top in alot of cases. As for the signal not working on drivers side, start with the bulb and ground then work backwards or replace the flasher and see what happens. Wayne

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the reply, this clears alot up. I've checked all the bulbs and wiring and they seem to be fine. I just don't get any power to the left turn signal bulb. Maybe the flasher or maybe the switch. Is there a cross reference number for a flasher that can be purchased locally instead of ordering one from the triumph distributors.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You can easily test a flasher. Without having a car to look at here is what I recall -- connect a hot lead to the common terminal then connect a test lamp to each of the other terminals in turn with the other end of the lamp grounded. Lamp should flash in each case. If yes, problem is not the flasher.

Are both the front and rear flashers not working?

OP
bluemiata90

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the replies, I figured out some of the problems. The steering wheel was removed at one time and the turn signal switch had a wire broken off. The previous owner tried to wire another wire on, but it also came off and somehow he wired the common with the lights, so the turn signals won't work without the lights being on. At least I'm getting closer to the correct wiring. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif