• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Timing Gears dot to dot

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Putting the timing chain, gears, cover, damper, etc back together today after fixing leak (see previous thread on this).

I did not rotate engine while it has sat waiting for parts.

I think I remember rotating timing gears "dot to dot" before removing them.

Now putting it back, it appears that dot to dot on the timing gears is TDC of Piston #1 on the exhaust stroke, rather than the compression stroke.
Is this correct?

Just want to be sure before putting it all back together.

Fred

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think that if you line up the gears dot to dot they will only fit with the woodruff keys one way. In other words, if the gears will go over the woodruff keys and they are lined up dot-to-dot it has to be right.

Keith

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think that if you line up the gears dot to dot they will only fit with the woodruff keys one way. In other words, if the gears will go over the woodruff keys and they are lined up dot-to-dot it has to be right.

Keith

That makes sense, but I suppose the engine could have been rotated with gears off, in which case if the crank rotated one turn, with Cam unchanged in position, keys and marks could still line up, but be out of phase.

Right now the gears are on dot to dot and the rotor is pointing to number 4, not number 1.

G

When in doubt I always just used my own setting w/ #1 TDC and both lobes for that cylinder pointing EQUALLY down (unless OHC depending on style). Even if you sight it slightly wrong the teeth should correct you in the right direction.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That makes sense, but I suppose the engine could have been rotated with gears off, in which case if the crank rotated one turn, with Cam unchanged in position, keys and marks could still line up, but be out of phase.

Right now the gears are on dot to dot and the rotor is pointing to number 4, not number 1.

I don't think it matters because for the crankshaft, a compression stroke is the same as an exhaust stroke. Since the distributor works off the cam, you will always fire at TDC compression.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK guys, thanks.

Still, the nagging question, though...dot to dot is TDC on exhaust stroke? For some reason, I would guess that dot to dot would be TDC on compression.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can't remember if the distributor on a Sprite engine can be put in 180 degrees out. The compression vs exhaust stroke is determined by the camshaft not the crank. As long as the distributor is in correctly, you should be OK.

I just checked my service manual. It says line up the gears dot to dot and fit the woodruff keys. It doesn't say anything about making sure the distributor is pointed at 1.

G

I don't think it matters because for the crankshaft, a compression stroke is the same as an exhaust stroke. Since the distributor works off the cam, you will always fire at TDC compression.

Right but it will be 180 out because cam is half, power stroke is always dot-to-dot and exhaust would be 180 on the other side of the geR. I say that but given how squirrely these things say to be tuned, it wouldn't surprise me if they did line up on the exhaust stroke

dklawson

Yoda
Put your mind at rest. Dot-to-dot cam timing will put 1 & 4 at TDC and as you have found, #4 is on its firing stroke... not #1. Your setup is correct.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Put your mind at rest. Dot-to-dot cam timing will put 1 & 4 at TDC and as you have found, #4 is on its firing stroke... not #1. Your setup is correct.

Thanks Doug. Maybe this thread will help someone else down the road.