• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite Story

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sometimes the topic of a Sprite will come up in the most unlikeliest of places and part of a conversation that didn't start that way....today's story:

I took a drive up to the hangar at Fawn Grove where the restoration work continues on the Cessna Bobcat. A gentleman named Bob who works on the plane usually arrives in the afternoon. He warmly welcomed me back, and asked how far I was coming from. I mentioned that I live in Damascus, which is southeast of Frederick, and he tells me that he's going to headed down in that direction as he has a friend in Great Falls. As it turns out, his friend was an old Army buddy who he had not seen or heard from in 50 years. He explained how his friend found him and reached out to him via a letter, and how he originally thought it was junk mail, or perhaps a letter from his neighbor who had a similar name.

After that, he got into the meat of the story: The two of them were stationed in Germany and when they went on leave in, they proceeded to go on a tour of Germany, Italy and France in a Bugeye Sprite. He remembered that it had about 40-something horsepower, the dual carbs that needed to be synchronized, and said him and his friend got around 40 mpg on their trips. For me, just a trip to Fawn Grove in the Sprite, a mere 130 mile round trip, is quite the adventure. I couldn't fathom driving through all of Europe in the BE. (My father did something similar when he was stationed in Germany in 1957, but they toured Europe in a '49 Mercedes). I guess that's one of those thing you do when you're young. When both of them returned from Europe, each one bought a Bugeye, although Bob was unsure if his friend bought the Bugeye or simply had the one he had in Europe shipped back. Naturally, I showed him a picture of my '69. Bob wasn't aware (or maybe didn't remember) that the Sprite also came with a "more modern look" as he described my '69.

Given that most mechanical guys tend to have an affinity for anything else mechanical, even if it isn't their primary interest, I supposed it wasn't too surprising that an "airplane guy" knew all about Sprites. It was surprising, though, that given how the conversation started, how quickly it turned into a talk about Sprites. I really do believe that these little cars are truly timeless and have a way bridging generations.

One of my favorite things is seeing the faces of the younger kids in the neighborhood light up when the see my Sprite. As yet another bridge across generations is built.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lovely, it is truly amazing how many Spridget stories there are.

G

One of my favorite things is seeing the faces of the younger kids in the neighborhood light up when the see my Sprite. As yet another bridge across generations is built.

Young men openly laugh out loud at my car and it's not a "fun" laugh.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Young men openly laugh out loud at my car and it's not a "fun" laugh.

Couple of punks in a diesel PU coal-rolled me 2 years ago... I was angry, but at the same time I figured I'd have done the same if I was them... They ran, that was good enough for me.

On the other side, when I got my first Bugeye my neighbors had this cute bi-racial child. He was a toddler with a huge blonde afro and he evidently refused to wear pants, of any kind. One day his mother is out taking Mr. Exposed for a walk and I come down the road in my red Bugeye. The look on the kids face was PRICELESS. There he is, blonde afro, stripped shirt, ding-dong out, standing barefoot in a mud puddle and he sees a Bugeye Sprite for the first time. I'm pretty sure that kid is a future Bugeye owner....:encouragement:

G

There he is, blonde afro, stripped shirt, ding-dong out, standing barefoot in a mud puddle and he sees a Bugeye Sprite for the first time. I'm pretty sure that kid is a future Bugeye owner....:encouragement:

I didn't know free willy was a sign of bugeye ownership; glad I drive Midget. :jester:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I didn't know free willy was a sign of bugeye ownership; glad I drive Midget. :jester:

The mind boggles with retorts, but I dasn't... :angel:

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's funny, most the scoffing I get from the car is from the older generation that remembers when these cars were new, as well as the litany of "issues" that they allegedly had ("Worst car I ever owned" is a typical comment). I remember one person referring to it as a "pedal car". But most younger people find the car a fascinating curiosity, especially living in an area where muscle cars are king among the vintage types. Kids too young to get their license really check the car out...they probably have never seen an LBC other than mine. I get double points when I toot the horn at them, too.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I bought my bugeye from the original owner's niece. She told me he brought it home from Germany where he was stationed in the Army. It sports this badge which appears to be a dealer's badge located in Kassel Germany. The BMHIT cert shows it was delivered new to Dusseldorf.

I've seen a similar type badge on another German-delivered bugeye:

nv8pyv.jpg

I sure wish this car could talk, the stories it could tell.

G

But most younger people find the car a fascinating curiosity, especially living in an area where muscle cars are king among the vintage types. Kids too young to get their license really check the car out...they probably have never seen an LBC other than mine. I get double points when I toot the horn at them, too.

Apparently it'll charm the pants off 'em....:jester:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
... For me, just a trip to Fawn Grove in the Sprite, a mere 130 mile round trip, is quite the adventure. I couldn't fathom driving through all of Europe in the BE.

I know what you mean. Contemplating a long trip in a Bugeye isn't something I would relish. I think the longest journey I took in my most recent running Bugeye was to drive to Stockton for the Asparagus Festival car show, A trip of 100 miles. I was rewarded with 2nd Place in my class. The buddy I went with took 1st.

Now mind you, when I was 17, I jumped in my Bugeye one morning in the middle of July (I lived in Detroit at the time) and headed out west. I drove through Chicago, and then picked up Route 66 outside of Joliet, then followed it all the way to Venice Beach. From there, I headed up Highway 1 to San Francisco, and the returned back to Detroit via the northern route. I took about 5 weeks getting to the coast, but drove back as far as Chicago in 72 hours, where I took a break for a couple days. A trip in excess of 5000 miles, not to mention back roads and detours. Ah, youth... it was quite an adventure. :p

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:iagree:but so long ago, I'm not sure I can actually trust the memory.

nomad

Yoda
I know what you mean. Contemplating a long trip in a Bugeye isn't something I would relish. I think the longest journey I took in my most recent running Bugeye was to drive to Stockton for the Asparagus Festival car show, A trip of 100 miles. I was rewarded with 2nd Place in my class. The buddy I went with took 1st.

Now mind you, when I was 17, I jumped in my Bugeye one morning in the middle of July (I lived in Detroit at the time) and headed out west. I drove through Chicago, and then picked up Route 66 outside of Joliet, then followed it all the way to Venice Beach. From there, I headed up Highway 1 to San Francisco, and the returned back to Detroit via the northern route. I took about 5 weeks getting to the coast, but drove back as far as Chicago in 72 hours, where I took a break for a couple days. A trip in excess of 5000 miles, not to mention back roads and detours. Ah, youth... it was quite an adventure. :p

I'm hoping to still repeat that kind of insanity in my retirement! Nancy and I regularly do 300 miles in my 65 Midget and have done 500 in a day in the not to distant past. 500 is a little trying though. In particular I have my eye on old US highway regular 2 lane road's that have now been bypassed by interstate highways. US20-30-12-2 all look interesting US 61-81-93 and some I haven't found yet!

Kurt