• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back to being a Spridgeteer only household

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sold the MGB GT today -- went to a good friend in my local club. Intended to sell it later this summer, but long story short a deal came up and off it went. New owner is very happy with it. So now I'm back to being just a Sprite owner, and I'm okay with that. Time to focus!

So now I've got the shop empty and enough resources in the bank to get Penny done. Need to do some organizing out there so I'm ready for when the body shell comes back later this summer.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
Looks like we are going in opposite directions on this one! So far my MGB is a keeper and the Bugeye is going off to paint in 2 weeks and then the fun begins in earnest. I now have a 67 TR4a waiting in the wings to replace the Bugeye on the rotisserie...this should keep me busy thru retirement. I think I have more in these cars than my next door neighbor has in his R8, but I have more fun!
Rut

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
what are pros and cons of BGT? The 1275 core I purchased had a nice driver for 5K, waiting to get title. The owner passed. It isn't original color but decent enough color for a fun driver.

non a/c car and I live in South Carolina so that is major concern

G

You spend too much time playing guitar, send them all to me and I'll take good care of them so you can focus. :jester:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You spend too much time playing guitar, send them all to me and I'll take good care of them so you can focus. :jester:

It's funny, I've been through more cars/motorcycles than I have guitars by a long shot. I've owned 4 acoustic guitars, still have two. Still have 2 of 3 mandolins. Basses are similar, though a few more have passed through. Most of my main instruments I've had for almost 20 years. I have one bass to sell (bought it in 1994) when I get a moment, all other instruments are staying permanently.

Cars on the other hand...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've been alternating between driving my MGB and Midget to work this week.

Here's the dirty, little not-so-secret secret:

Even though the Midget is basically built from an old parts car plus all the scrap bits I had laying about (including a 35 horsepower 948 sedan engine)....the Midget is more fun.

I actually had an offer from a friend on the MGB last Fall. I think when I really have the Super 7 sorted out, I may look to downsize and move the B on to another owner.

I still have an ancient classical guitar that I had in high school (I think it came from Sears). It's covered with stickers and magic marker but it's still fun to play. Sort of like my crappy MG Midget.
When I get together with my brothers someone always wants to play it.

I also have a Yamaha classical guitar and some other off-brand that is similar.
All have nylon strings and all sound much better after a Guinness or two. :friendly_wink:

I also have an Ibenez electric but I rarely play it....partly because my fingers are too fat.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew,
Looks like we are going in opposite directions on this one! So far my MGB is a keeper and the Bugeye is going off to paint in 2 weeks and then the fun begins in earnest. I now have a 67 TR4a waiting in the wings to replace the Bugeye on the rotisserie...this should keep me busy thru retirement. I think I have more in these cars than my next door neighbor has in his R8, but I have more fun!
Rut

20+ years until retirement for me. Time is the real scarce resource around here. I've been tempted by some other cars recently, but I'll stick to the Buyeye only at least until the restoration is over -- then maybe I'll add a second.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
what are pros and cons of BGT? The 1275 core I purchased had a nice driver for 5K, waiting to get title. The owner passed. It isn't original color but decent enough color for a fun driver.

non a/c car and I live in South Carolina so that is major concern

As long as you're moving, the GT has great airflow. Pop the rear vents and roll down the windows and you've got lots of cooling air with little to no buffeting. Never was an issue for me, though while it can get plenty hot here in Utah, it doesn't get swampy. GT is a very practical sports car, plenty of room for 2 people and stuff.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
then maybe I'll add a second.

Don't make me come down there Drew - you are only (spiritually and emotionally) allowed one - and, we are tired of watching you fall off the wagon. :D (even if we are a tad co-dependant) :p

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Even though the Midget is basically built from an old parts car plus all the scrap bits I had laying about (including a 35 horsepower 948 sedan engine)....the Midget is more fun.

[...]

I also have a Yamaha classical guitar and some other off-brand that is similar.
All have nylon strings and all sound much better after a Guinness or two. :friendly_wink:

While I fit in the MGB better (almost infinite legroom in one) I have to agree -- I just like the Spridgets better. I've had two MGBs in a row now, and I liked them both but never loved them. Nothing wrong with them at all, just not really exciting for me. If I do wind up getting a second old car in the future it will be something very different.

I am very demanding about things that I use for the activities I am most passionate about (namely music and cars). I've always been very careful with my instrument purchases -- I'm not a collector, everything has to be for a purpose and everything gets used or out it goes.

And as the saying goes, the more they drink the better we sound!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't make me come down there Drew - you are only (spiritually and emotionally) allowed one - and, we are tired of watching you fall off the wagon. :D (even if we are a tad co-dependant) :p

While you're welcome to come down and visit anytime, you should be safe for a good long time. Don't forget, you found me one of my "second" cars. :grin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
While you're welcome to come down and visit anytime, you should be safe for a good long time. Don't forget, you found me one of my "second" cars. :grin:

yes it is true, I am an enabler :(

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I went for something different for my daily driver. Fiat 500 Abarth. It is cheap and a blast to
drive. Modern features but feels almost like a classic car. I am shocked at how much attention
it draws. If you test drive an Abarth I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.
Very intimate experience akin to the Sprite.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I went for something different for my daily driver. Fiat 500 Abarth. It is cheap and a blast to
drive. Modern features but feels almost like a classic car. I am shocked at how much attention
it draws. If you test drive an Abarth I guarantee it will put a smile on your face.
Very intimate experience akin to the Sprite.

Those Abarths look really fun -- unfortunately too small for me as a daily driver. If I can't fit an upright bass in it, I can have it for my daily driver. I get great looks when I show up at the car dealer with my big old bass to make sure it fits.

The Wrangler is actually quite a bit of fun in its own way (and yes the bass *just* fits), and I just ordered a soft top for it so I can have some top-dow driving this summer.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Those Abarths look really fun -- unfortunately too small for me as a daily driver. If I can't fit an upright bass in it, I can have it for my daily driver. I get great looks when I show up at the car dealer with my big old bass to make sure it fits.

Ummmm sunroof! (duh) :p

As an aside, I love the term Spridgeteer - Midgeteer not so much - what could we be called? (keep it clean folks! :p)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ummmm sunroof! (duh) :p

As an aside, I love the term Spridgeteer - Midgeteer not so much - what could we be called? (keep it clean folks! :p)

Sunroof isn't as helpful in the winter snow around here...

You can include your Midget under the term Spridgeteer as well, it's an inclusive term. :grin:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker

The Wrangler is actually quite a bit of fun in its own way (and yes the bass *just* fits), and I just ordered a soft top for it so I can have some top-dow driving this summer.

Jeeps with the top down and doors off are a BLAST! I do understand it is all about that bass,'bout that bass,no treble .
I have a friend who sells custom tops for Cruisers. Contact in Pakistan. Pics of the workers welding frames with no
welding shields( line er up and turn head) holding parts with bare feet is incredible.
You live in a great part of the USA for top down Jeep riding.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jeeps with the top down and doors off are a BLAST! I do understand it is all about that bass,'bout that bass,no treble .
I have a friend who sells custom tops for Cruisers. Contact in Pakistan. Pics of the workers welding frames with no
welding shields( line er up and turn head) holding parts with bare feet is incredible.
You live in a great part of the USA for top down Jeep riding.

I was looking at those Pakistani tops when I had my last FJ40. Talk about old school construction methods.

I still remember the feeling the first time I drove my first FJ40 with no top and no doors (used a forklift to get that metal top off). Fantastic. That's what I'm aiming for with the Jeep, just with a few modern conveniences like sound deadening, power, fuel economy, overdrive, etc... :grin: