• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Minor Electrical Success

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As part of the continuing saga to get my TR3 on the road after sitting for 10 years I've been fighting a short that kills my wipers, brake lights, and fuel guage for about a month now. It seemed easy enough since when I stuck my hand in the rats nest behind the center console sometimes they would start working again.

So I pulled it out about 2 inches (I can't get the oil line loose and I'm afraid of busting it) and attacked it. I found no less than 5 wires in there that had large portions of insulation melted completely off.

Hmmmm.

Replaced them and ran a new ground strap to the fuel guage as mine was GONE. Nothing left but a melted stub of wire and a ring connector.

Still nothing.

Turned on the wipers and started wiggling everything under the dash.

Still nothing.

Just for grins I started wiggling around the fuse block.

I FINALLY FOUND MY SHORT!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

one of the white and red wires that goes to the bottom of the fuse block makes the short come and go.

So I found a little piece of insulation rubbed off, spliced in a new wire and connector and everything started working again.

Loaded the kids for a celebratory drive around town and the stupid thing cut out again. There's a bend right where it exits the wrapping on the harness that is shorting out.

I really need to buy a new harness.

But the really exciting news is that the ignition warning light works now for the first time since I bought the car in 1984.

Small victories....

Nothing that exciting or informative for you guys but I had to share it with someone since my wife looks at me like I'm from Mongolia when I start prattling on about this stuff.

But my 6 year old is VERY excited about the new red light that comes on when I turn the key. Now he wants to know why the green one doesn't work...

ungrateful little ankle-biter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Turn signals are the next project.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know how expensive a new wiring harness is for a TR3 but I put a new one in the Mini. I wish I'd put one in the GT6. New harnesses are good investments. New insulation and clean bullet connectors make a big difference.

It sounds like you're getting there. I'm glad your 6 year old is out there with you and excited about the success. I wish I could get my kids that interested!

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Congrats on the wiring success-- I love little electrical things about as much as any other type of improvement -- mechanical, cosmetic, etc. Maybe its the flashing lights that show up!?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...one of the white and red wires that goes to the bottom of the fuse block makes the short come and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the white/red wire would orginally have not been connected to the fuse block, it would have gone to the solenoid.

[ QUOTE ]
I really need to buy a new harness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I recall standing on the passenger side floorboard and pulling the entire harness our of the car. Felt real good. Even better feeling when I got that new harness installed. I can't believe how many years I put up with that mess of patches, electrical tape and mystery wires. Does yours look a bit like this?:

MVC-851S.JPG