• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN4 and BN6 Limited Edition Prints

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
100-6-Badge-web.jpgAfter a brief foray into my Triumph catalog to complete the TR6 illustration, I'm back to the Healeys—this time with the BN4 and BN6. And yes, the 3000s are coming next.

The BN4 and BN6 standard illustration will include disc wheels (including hub caps), overdrive gearbox, and adjustable steering column. ou can customize your print with any of the available options including:

• Available factory body/interior color combinations (special colors are available upon request)
  • 48-spoke wire wheels
  • 60-spoke wire wheels
  • Octagonal wheel nuts
  • Dunlop racing wheels with competition knock-offs
  • Delete overdrive gearbox
  • Delete adjustable steering column
  • Headlamp grilles
  • Lucas 576 spot lamps
  • Wood rimmed steering wheel
  • Weber carburetters
  • Manufacturer’s plate with the serial numbers of your specific car
  • Lucas style wing-mounted mirror
  • Raydyot mirror (mounted to driver’s door)
  • Other options as may be required to personalize your print

These highly detailed illustrations based on Gerry Coker’s original line drawing, are beautifully rendered and printed on museum quality, acid-free, giclee paper. The ultimate gift for the Healey lover. Prints come in 12" x 24" and 18" x 36" sizes. Approximate delivery time is 2-3 weeks.

You can order at Sports Car Art.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
David. The 100-Sixes had two different types of interior depending on the model. Are you planning on doing both? The early cars also had an integral head and smaller carbs and a single windscreen washer, plus a few other minor differences which may or may not be visible on your drawings. I look forward to seeing the first versions.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
David. The 100-Sixes had two different types of interior depending on the model. Are you planning on doing both? The early cars also had an integral head and smaller carbs and a single windscreen washer, plus a few other minor differences which may or may not be visible on your drawings. I look forward to seeing the first versions.

The order form includes the capability to upload pictures so I can adjust each illustration to accommodate specific differences.

Tech396

Country flag
I just went to the site to order a print. I didn't see an area to go for a pre-view.
Is this possible to see what we are buying?
Thanks in advance

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just went to the site to order a print. I didn't see an area to go for a pre-view.
Is this possible to see what we are buying?
Thanks in advance

Absolutely. I'll post up some JPEGs once I get the illustration back from my technical editor. You can get a good idea of the illustration style by looking at the BN1 and BN2 drawings.

Tech396

Country flag
Thank you for the reply.
There were three types of BN4s from 56-59, I'm curious to know which one you chose to base the drawing on, early (2 Port) Middle (6 Port) Both with Longbridge interior.
Or the late (6 Port, with the newer style interior and soft top frame. "Abingdon trim"

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The base art is a bit of a mash up of various BN4s (same for the BN6). I then adjust the illustration to the specifics of each customer's car, hence the reason I ask for photogrpahs when submitting an order. When cars aren't available for my personal inspection, my "go to" resource for details is Clausager's "Original Austin Healey",

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here a few samples of the BN4 and the BN6 illustrations.

The BN4 is based on one of the early "Longbridge" cars with the carbs on the horizontal, and a few other details peculiar to the early cars. As for the Primrose over black colors well, they're not really my cup of tea but I wanted to try something other than Healey blue (not that there's anything wrong with it)/ Same for the steel wheels. If you're an afficianado of the first 100-6s let me know what things that might need changing. There's only so much accuracy I can achieve using examples from books and the Internet.

I chose to accessorize the BN6 with a wood rimmed steering wheel, Lucas "Flamethrower" spot lamp and Raydyot side mirror but you get your print with the accessories of your choice.
AH-BN6-rear.jpgAH-BN6-cockpit.jpgAH-BN6-front.jpgAH-BN6.jpgAH-BN4-rear.jpgAH-BN4-cockpit.jpgAH-BN4-front.jpgAH-BN4.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think the primrose over black is a great combo especially when you add a black hardtop to it. It is also the only colour combination that came with a yellow interior. Very rare. The primrose coloured cars (without black coves) had black interiors.

The Longbridge BN4s had a single windscreen washer while the later cars had two, same as the 3000s.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A couple more minor details.

The windscreen washer bottle on the Longbridge cars was made of glass. The piping on the seats of the later 100-Sixes did not go right round the 'ears' of the sides of the front seat where it hinges. The piping on the Longbridge car above is however correct as it was similar to the 100s. I think that some of the other differences between the models will be very difficult to see on the illustrations, such as the interior panelling behind the front seats and also the arm rests. The Longbridge car has a saddle style armrest similar to the 100s but slightly shorter while the later cars have a rectangular pad on top of the tunnel.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

The windscreen washer bottle on the Longbridge cars was made of glass. The piping on the seats of the later 100-Sixes did not go right round the 'ears' of the sides of the front seat where it hinges. The piping on the Longbridge car above is however correct as it was similar to the 100s. I think that some of the other differences between the models will be very difficult to see on the illustrations, such as the interior panelling behind the front seats and also the arm rests. The Longbridge car has a saddle style armrest similar to the 100s but slightly shorter while the later cars have a rectangular pad on top of the tunnel.

Derek,

Great help with the details. I've made note of them. This is where having folks submit pictures of their car with an order really comes in handy in helping to get things just right. Again, thanks for you assistance.

DCTownsend

Tech396

Country flag
I would like to order a print but need to know what info you need to have the correct glass washer bottle and 6 port engine, as supplied from the factory
on my Longbridge Healey
Thank you in advance

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would like to order a print but need to know what info you need to have the correct glass washer bottle and 6 port engine, as supplied from the factory
on my Longbridge Healey
Thank you in advance

I've attached the pic that I used to draw the glass bottle. Images of the engine bay, rear (interior) quarter, and the aforementioned washer bottle would be very helpful in making the details accurate. You can upload images directly to the order form and there is also a Special Instructions box where you can fill in anything you think I would need to know.

DCTownsendwasher bottle.jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
washer bottle and rear panels. Can't help with the engine bay pics as I have the 2 port engine not 6 port.

Attachments

• 2012-12-20 015.jpg
    2012-12-20 015.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2012-12-20 003.jpg
    2012-12-20 003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2012-12-20 006.jpg
    2012-12-20 006.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 83

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Note the door seals are different on the longbridge cars as well. No furflex on the perimeter, just at the front edge of the door opening.

Tech396

Country flag
moss bottle.jpgThis photo from Dereks site shows the original brackets nicely. I will upload the necessary files on your website when I place my order, but thought this may be of help for you in the meantime

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here's BN6 that's been customized a bit (customer's request) with a hardtop, Enod's petrol cap, glass washer bottle, Girling front disc brakes, and commission plate. The 100 6 badge in the background has been moved to the right side so it didn't interfere with the hardtop.
AH-BN6-hardtop.jpg