• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How do wipers mount to scuttle top on a 100-6?

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Again, since someone else took this BN4 apart, I'm scratching my head (and at times pulling out what's left of my hair) over how things go together.

It's time to install the windshield wiper system under the dash. I can see where the motor mounts on that small ledge beside the left hand door pillar. But what holds the two wiper blade base mounts in place? The scuttle top on the 100-6 has big gaping holes on the top surface and no small holes to mount the wiper bases to. In comparison, the BJ7 that also is under re-construction has a very different scuttle top, with small holes to hold the wiper mounts firmly in place.

Is the shroud the only thing that holds the wiper mounts in place on the 100-6? And are there any mounting points under the scuttle top for the long flexible tube that runs from the wiper motor to the wiper pivot points?

Thanks for any help!

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Go to the illustration of the wiper system, either in Moss's catalogue p92 or on their web site. See parts 61 and 60? The scuttle is sandwiched between the two, with the wheelbox (55) held in place on the underside of the scuttle by the chrome nut (58) which fits atop the chrome bezel (59) under which is the rubber washer (the aforementioned 60).

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I do have those parts, but to what do they mount? There are no holes in the scuttle that one can mount the "wheelboxes" to. Or do they just mount to the front shroud, later when that goes on.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
I'm confused by your terminology. If you are calling the structure underneath the shroud the scuttle, that's not quite correct. Nothing mounts on this structure. The hoes in the scuttle portion of the shroud (I'm calling the part of the shroud aft of the windsreeen the scuttle), through which the wheelboxes pass, are the only holes. The sandwiching of the scuttle between the wheelbox and its bush (61), and the bezel (59) and its washer (60), are what holds the wheelboxes in place.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Terminology certainly can be confusing. By the scuttle, I was referring to the horizontal part of the inner body from the firewall back to the passenger compartment, without the shroud installed. The Moss catalog refers to that piece as the Scuttle Top Inner Panel. On the BJ7, the scuttle top inner panel has holes in it through which the wheelboxes pass and fasten. The BN4 scuttle top inner panel does not have the same structure as on the BJ7, and does not have those holes or mounting points. Am I understanding you correctly that on the BN4 the wheelboxes are only held in place by where they pass through the shroud?

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
That's what I think is correct. It's that way on my BN2 and in the Moss catalogue it shows that the parts are common for the BN2, BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7, BJ7 and BJ8. I didn't know (or think) that the BJ7 was different.

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thank you, Bill. Regarding the BJ7, the wiper parts may be the same, but the scuttle top inner panel is totally different - at least on my BJ7. This BJ7 has had one or two other surprise parts, so who knows.

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Blueskies
The wiper boxes are held in place by the exterior escutcheon pieces and the large thin nuts on the spindles. There is no separate mounting for the boxes. At least that's how I remember it.
Matthew

OP
B

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks again, everyone. I plan to install this before installing the heater and defroster parts. The shroud will go on much later.

The wiper motor that I'm using is a rebuilt unit from eBay; the original did not work anymore. I will try to reuse the crosshead/rack, even though it has a few kinks in it that I hope will come out, more or less. The wheelboxes seem OK. If it later turns out that it should have had a new crosshead/rack, I suppose that isn't easy to change, once the heater, shroud etc. are in place?

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
I believe the heater might get in the way. Why don't you bench-test the whole assembly before installing the shroud? The wheelboxes are easy to disassemble, clean and re-lube.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
just a suggestion. When I disassembled my wheel boxes to relube them before installing the wiper system, I noticed the screw cable only contacts about 3 or 4 teeth on the wheel gear since the cable only rotates a few turns before it reversed to move the wiper arm back the other way. This means any wear on the gear is localized on those 3 or 4 teeth. Although I didn't see any significant wear after 54 years of use, I decided to rotate the wheel gears a half turn before appling some new grease and reassembling. That way the screw cable will contact a brand new portion of the wheel gear and I should be good for another 50 or so years.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bench testing them is a good idea. Often they still work but don't cover the full arc and and an adjustment is required to the motor. It is a pita to remove the whole system once the car is assembled and the heater is in place.