• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jeremy Clarkson Suspended form Top Gear

D

Deleted member 8987

No need to watch anything on BBC anymore, then, is there?

Country flag
And here's how you can tell the story was written by an English publication rather than an American. Where else would they not only use the word fracas, but include in the story the history of the word, unrelated to the actual subject of the story...

What is a 'fracas'?
"Fracas" has French roots but it is originally from the Italian "fracassare", to cause uproar.
Its first noted use in English was in 1727, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. The
writer Lady Mary Worley Montagu wrote in a letter: "A… violent fracas took place between
the infantry-colonel and his lady."
If you speak British English, you pronounce it "frah-car", but Americans tend to pronounce
it "fray-cuss".
Neil Taylor, managing partner of The Writer, a language consultancy business, says use of the
word peaked in 1945, and has dropped off since then. "It's a nicely non-specific word," he says,
"although you do get the sense of something physical - without anything being confirmed."

G

Sounds like "nut rage" from how it reads. Looks like he may have gotten fabulous with a producer who didn't want to be served any carp. :wink:

Country flag
Jeremy Clarkson suspension leaves BBC facing multimillion-pound bill
The BBC is facing a multimillion-pound bill over its decision to suspend Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear, with foreign broadcasters eligible for compensation and rival TV companies poised to poach the embattled presenter. The programme’s suspension could have big ramifications for the BBC’s commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, which broadcasts the series to 214 territories with a record global audience of 350 million viewers.
The BBC could be liable for penalty payments, likely to run into millions of pounds, for failing to deliver the final episodes of the series on time, as well as facing having to renegotiate the original deal price for a full series.

Is this a case of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face? It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
BBC now caught between a rock and a hard place. They gave Clarkson a "if you cross this line" type ultimatum, which he did. If the reinstate him, it becomes an empty threat and Clarkson could become even more incorrigible. On the other hand, the BBC is now at risk of losing the entire Top Gear franchise, which is, by far, the most lucrative show in BBC history. There's no way Top Gear could go on with a completely new cast of characters.

Clarkson seems to be holding all the cards now. The question is whether or not the BBC will be able to reinstate him and save face at the same time.

G

Might be a calculated move on Clarkson's part. Force them to remove him so he can do the same thing elsewhere. He really has nothing to loose. It does sound like he has gotten too fabulous for his own good...or any anyone's good...

D

Deleted member 8987

BBC now caught between a rock and a hard place. The question is whether or not the BBC will be able to reinstate him and save face at the same time.

It will be something along the lines of a negotiated settlement. Jeremy will admit to doing thus and so, the producer who started this fracas will get canned (or sent to France), Jeremy will be suspended for time already off, everybody will act like nothing happened, and Rue Britannia will rust into the future.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Clarkson supporters drive a tank to the BBC:

twgzx6fvjhpkqknmpvm1.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarkson-supporters-just-drove-a-freaking-tank-t-1692575093

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's not a tank it is a mobile howitzer.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, if Clarkson, May and Hammond all jump ship, I'm sure someone like Rupert Murdoch will be right there to pick them up, if Murdoch hasn't already started talking to Clarkson. All of their contracts with the BBC expire on April 1. They won't be able to call it Top Gear, but it will be something close enough. If May and Hammond stay without Clarkson, it will only be because the BBC will make them obscenely rich to stay.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I will admit to watching and laughing at Top Gear once in a while.

But Clarkson has always reminded me of Howard Stern (who I also listened to on occasion). Both Stern and Clarkson could be funny at times but some of their humour also seemed mean-spirited to me. Particularly when it involved ethnic jokes or humour about the handicapped.

I know Clarkson likes to see himself as a champion for "non-PC" speech. But I don't. To me there's a difference between being politically correct and just being rude.

I don't feel bad for Clarkson. He's already rich and I agree that some low-rent TV channel will pick him and make him richer. Which is fine. Everyone, no matter how tiresome I find them, has a right to free speech......as long as I am not forced to listen.

I'm not a real big TV fan anyway. These days I mostly watch PBS with my grandkids. But if I'm going to watch something car-related, I'd much rather a car auction with some interesting stuff.......or better yet, Mike Joy & David Hobbs covering the Daytona 24 Hours.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag