• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

impulse buy

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Was over at my local Ace Hardware a few minutes ago.

And while I almost always cruise the tool isle I hardly ever buy anything, partly because they don't usually have anything I need, but mostly because most of the stuff they sell is made offshore.

Today a Made in USA label caught my eye. It was a small set of picks from Craftsman. It's been a long time since I've seen anything I don't already have from Craftsman that's made in the US.

It's something I could use and they were cheap. So I had to buy them.

$_35.JPG

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 49

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Excellent!

I bought a brand new Bridgeport milling machine a few weeks ago (for work). It was actually pretty hard to find. And it cost a lot more than an import mill, but it will last a lot longer too (we have 3 other 1969 Bridgeports.....all work perfect).

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
....I bought a brand new Bridgeport milling machine a few weeks ago (for work). It was actually pretty hard to find. And it cost a lot more than an import mill, but it will last a lot longer too (we have 3 other 1969 Bridgeports.....all work perfect).
:eagerness:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I always buy American when possible, but when in Lowes a few weeks ago, I needed a set of screw drivers for working on instruments and saw this mini ratchet screw driver with multiple heads. You could say it was an impulse buy, but it worked out great as I've used it a dozen times already. They even have a larger version. American made, I don't think so, but for 12 bucks you can't beat it.

View attachment 36304
Kolbolt has changed hands a few times so I have no idea who makes them.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I presume Kobalt, like Craftsman to Sears, is basically a marketing division for their parent Company, Lowes.

Maybe they have some internal product development but I'm sure all production is outsourced.

Craftsman still sources some tools from US manufacturers. Last time I looked at Kobalt packaging in my local Lowes I didn't see a single US made tool. (But I didn't check every package of every tool on every isle, either.)

pc

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
A good, American tool brand is ~Klein~.

Almost all their tools are made in America.

This week at work we set up and ran our two new Haas ST-10 CNC lathes. Also made in USA. I had to fuss a bit with our purchasing dept. to get these, due to price. But everyone I work with knows not to argue with me on this subject.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Good for you. I might have done the same but already have a set of Chinese picks. Sad part is that you probably couldn't fill a shopping basket with everything else that's made in America in that store. I think much of the rest of the Craftsman line is now imported. Here is a list of made in USA tools from google search: https://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html
Tom

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
A good, American tool brand is ~Klein~.

Almost all their tools are made in America....

Yup, definitely good stuff. They're well represented in the electronics biz. So I've used a lot of their crimpers, strippers, pliers and drivers over the years.

I might even have one of their bottle openers in the tool chest. I'll have to check. I know I have a couple (US made) Craftsman bottle openers. If I don't have the Klein I should probably get one.
31f-H3biqVL.jpg

They have a BBQ set too.
31Z08jnD7CL.jpg

Hmm, just perusing Klein's website and found that for some reason they have a cycling jersey. Which I find odd since they don't make bike specific tools and I've never seen their general purpose tools marketed through bikie distribution channels.

Might have to get one for the upcoming riding season. (Of course, every season is riding season in SoCal :cool:)
96749_23.jpg

I mostly buy Park Tools' bike tools, which are also all US made.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Saw a boroscope (sp?) at COSTCO for a mere $58. Might be fun to poke my nose into small spaces. Might get it.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hmm, just perusing Klein's website and found that for some reason they have a cycling jersey. Which I find odd since they don't make bike specific tools and I've never seen their general purpose tools marketed through bikie distribution channels.

Might have to get one for the upcoming riding season. (Of course, every season is riding season in SoCal :cool:)
96749_23.jpg

Maybe they sponsor a bike team? Or perhaps they like the coincidence that there was a bicycle company of the same name. I still have a '98 Klein Pulse Comp mountain bike in my garage. It's sporting slick tires these days and I use it as my rain bike/commuter/trailer tug. I prefer using it on hiker/biker trails to the road bike - better riding position to see what's going on around you. 17 years old, still on the original derailleurs, but I've upgraded almost everything else. Klein road bikes were supposed to be really good, too.

Like you, I almost always turn to Park Tools first for my bicycle tools. It's amazing how the right tool can cut a job that would be a ball buster otherwise down to size.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
If they sponsored a team it was either very local or entirely internal to the company. I haven't seen any signs of any pro or amateur race team sponsored by them. Googling only gave me hits related to Klein bikes and their team sponsorship.

My guess is either they had them made up for a group of employees, maybe doing a charity ride or something, or they found jerseys on a list of swag that a brand logo supplier could produce and just thought it was a cool idea.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yup, definitely good stuff. They're well represented in the electronics biz. So I've used a lot of their crimpers, strippers, pliers and drivers over the years.

I might even have one of their bottle openers in the tool chest. I'll have to check. I know I have a couple (US made) Craftsman bottle openers. If I don't have the Klein I should probably get one.
31f-H3biqVL.jpg

They have a BBQ set too.
31Z08jnD7CL.jpg

96749_23.jpg

How about a set from Steam Dragon Forge? Did I mention I took up Blacksmithing?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 149

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks great! - and great name!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I like that. Kinda fun to know you made it yourself.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Finally pulled the trigger. Looking forward to putting it to work.

Love the details on the packaging:

"Professionally designed and rigorously tested by an expert team to handle both foreign and domestic applications"

And of course,

"Made in USA"

n5BKboOrmk0N6uLfuuQYJSVrkAt1NTiPcaWDkhmS9_ZMOGb3rPHve4o8LbLpYn-fEpfssLQtb2k-evifUXe9cn90n-Zy7b_Sg7xSg10moZQfSGLBTa6Eo2evXFB9PSUYF_MCkEihZvZvpUJQF5cE5LpKZlkjVIAOG8yiMgcFcRVWR17s2FvyVZ8BgI5jh2qrPwkdzKbrnpzNCRMHl7MeraHiQJdSr06h2xbHGKYk0PiY39ujSpT-3m7pIJmjQlHvcFkov104SFIyAwn1ocWYZughiHS_P6RdnXJ-RRWe4zLa6SzRAJpVbklhc1bc3D4CP6DMaNDZDBqS_TNg3uW8idPXYsj9XqeNYnrbMqm_ghVCN9V67-YoD8ODNyTIN5WFqfEV6BPtpr_DJqDu6sxPhwv2mjfqT4ugL87vzFX9Qk8kFIUisUXuIn37HtKFbi8VvEQ58DidCnjF3QyhwbO4FfXkmpSbiQaqL5iTIq4YXBp_hNNnZOZtbsCUl4vxh5eIqjspyGShsRhDzkGhCqYl13ePUOersRfLlsyAghypBG8rqbNT6nIpbeaLHGKrxlw5ZV78YvcYKzuoS5v_GJxp4hwxm6Gr1NlZ2njAJgZ7yN6t448OyD3EeqUSq3UbKbvK_G0jUFp8NpxLYAxfJurk6NRhSMAh7wxqB5CEyXtY60SlLxXMaieGdQx1ujuweXLDZL0po4PsrbqJMeJF_9xySVIYj16pTKy8zS4=w800-h600-no