• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other Nothing's easy

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have added a 1965 Herald to the automotive family. We can't get the car yet- a glitch in the title and DMV. Not a big deal, since I've wanted a Herald since 1960. A few more days won't hurt. I getting the trailer ready- had to buy two new tires. The old ones from maybe the eighties? H78/ 14, cracked, uneven wear. The color is "powder blue," with a white top, and blue seat fabric. My wife and her friend think it will be a good addition and look forward to driving it soon. The down side is the car has been setting for ten years. New hoses, belt, hydraulic repair are required. It is my understanding that these parts are shared with the Spitfire, true?

T.T.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
T.T. You will be very happy with this little car, and yes, Spitfire with a different body. Great run around town car but it is most out of place on the interstate. Loved them in England in the 60's. Enjoy yourself, If I was closer I would be right there with you.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Congratulations!

You may want to alter the subject line to get Andy's attention. I predict he is about to become your new best friend.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Congratulations!

You may want to alter the subject line to get Andy's attention. I predict he is about to become your new best friend.
Hi! I'm here to help! :smile: Yes, the Herald was the basis of the Spitfire (much as the Ford Falcon was the basis of the original Mustang), so mechanically there are many parts that are shared or at least very similar. I'd like very much to know more about the car you found, both for my Database and so I can better advise.

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm thinking/ hoping the hydraulic system is a match- rubber parts in the master cylinders, wheel cylinders and calipers. Also belts and hoses for the cooling system may be the same? Perhaps some Gumout in the fuel line and carbs will be enough. Oh wait, this is a Brtitish car... T.T.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Short answer is "YES" to all the above, more or less. But "carbs" (plural)? Sounds like the car has been "upgraded" at some point. Again, numbers and pictures would be helpful. :smile: Considering the car is 50 years old and apparently has seen some modification (carbs), there's a good chance other bits might not be quite as original. For example, the calipers would be "Type 12" if original to the car, but later Type 14 calipers could have been swapped in. And there are several sizes of rear wheel cylinders, all interchangeable in pairs. Odds are, though, that both brake and clutch master cylinders are (as) original. If so, they'll take the typical Girling (Lucas, TRW) SP1963 rebuild kit.

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As I looked over the, master cylinders, wheel cylinders,calipers seem to be the same as my MKI & II Spitfifes. I think this will be a rather quick process. I'm not planning on pulling the engine or transmission. The body appears to be pretty straight and clean.