• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR8 brake aclipers on a Spridget

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Anyone know whether or not TR8 brake calipers will work on a Spridget?

Country flag
Never heard of that. What makes you suspect they might?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks like yes! Moss lists the same part number for both. Not sure how you found that out but...

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My son has a spare set from one of his TR8 projects. Looks like the MGB calipers sometime used on Spridgets.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks like yes! Moss lists the same part number for both. Not sure how you found that out but...

OK, let's try that again. :blush: The pads are the same - the calipers themselves (according to Moss) are different which isn't to say that they wouldn't bolt on, but, it doesn't appear to be a straight swap.

Sorry about that, my eyes read caliper and my brain heard pads. doh!

G

My stock caliper will lock the wheels just fine, no need for "better".

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Here are some questions?

The amount of braking force that is available is dependent upon a few things:
· Tire traction
· Brake disc sizes
· Pad coefficient of friction
· Caliper clamping force
· Weight shift
· Front/rear braking bias

If you locking you front brakes you’re actually losing traction for the controllability of the car. So you try to avoid that as much as possible.

Brake fade is your number one adversary that you’re trying to overcome. Brake fade is due to over heating brake fluid and friction material.

However before you go to the extent of installing larger brakes, you need to determine what enhancements to the car to justify the larger brakes.

You can use the MGB calipers with the 9" Spitfire rotors, but you will need an adapter to do so.

Country flag
Just to clarify what BlueMax is saying. You want to be able to modulate your brakes. If they are on/off like a switch you can quickly end up missing your turn in. Conversely, you certainly do not want the backs locking up before the fronts or you will have the car swap ends and go off a curve backwards and down the embankment. The rolling rear tires keep the car tracking forward.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here are some questions?

You can use the MGB calipers with the 9" Spitfire rotors, but you will need an adapter to do so.

The MGB/Spitfire conversion is the worst fitting disc brake upgrade I have ever done. For someone that wants to do a disc brake upgrade that's a straight forward install, I think the one from Steve Christiansen is the one to consider.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I chose to build mine myself; had no fitting issues since I machine everything to my specifications. But, I would say not for those with moderate mechanical or machining skills.

P1030871.jpg

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I chose to build mine myself; had no fitting issues since I machine everything to my specifications. But, I would say not for those with moderate mechanical or machining skills.

View attachment 36170

My point is, it's not a bolt on kit, even though it's promoted as such. It takes a lot of fiddle-f*cking" with it to get it to fit/work right. As a "kit" it comes very incomplete. For what it costs to buy, I think it's a very poor value, and didn't find the improvement to be that significant compared to others I have installed that were much better engineered for around the same money. That combo is a very old school combination that I believe was developed originally by Joe Huffaker when there weren't any other options. It makes little sense to use on a street car today when there are better options.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Honestly, I've been racing on the stock setup for years. It really hasn't been an issue.

In fact, I found some of the racing pads are a bit too hard (at least for vintage racing, where we have fairly moderate engines and tire sizes).

So I just run whatever "street/performance" pad I can find (like the upgraded street pads from Moss). I've always run stock rear linings too.

I usually get 3 or 4 weekends out of the pads and at least a season (8 or 9 events) out of the stock rotors.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Honestly, I've been racing on the stock setup for years. It really hasn't been an issue.

In fact, I found some of the racing pads are a bit too hard (at least for vintage racing, where we have fairly moderate engines and tire sizes).

So I just run whatever "street/performance" pad I can find (like the upgraded street pads from Moss). I've always run stock rear linings too.

I usually get 3 or 4 weekends out of the pads and at least a season (8 or 9 events) out of the stock rotors.

I think the decision was already made to not go with the TR7 calipers a number of posts ago - though the rest of the info is very valuable. :cheers:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

nomad

Yoda
Gerard, not planning on redoing my brakes but am curious as to who Steve Christiansen is and what his brake kit consist's of?

Kurt.

Country flag
You'll note that he is using a Marina hub. I guess these are available as repros? Or he is sourcing good s/h units.

Country flag
I just checked the web. Marina hubs have different bolt pattern, so I assume he is sourcing the hubs manufactured for the Morris brake conversions.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gerard, not planning on redoing my brakes but am curious as to who Steve Christiansen is and what his brake kit consist's of?

Kurt.

He makes a variety of aftermarket parts for a variety of cars, including rear disc brakes setups. Here's the Midget page.

https://www.olphartz.com/midget.html

I looked into his machinist making my 5 speed kits. The guy is quite skilled and makes some very high end parts for some exclusive customers.