• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Sunbeams?

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
The new?? tiger link has been out there for a couple of years now I believe.It has been discussed on the sunbeam site.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Last time I checked, the Sunbeam name, rights to the Tiger and Alpine models and the like, were all owned by DaimlerChrysler. This looks shady, at best.

Hayfever

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I checked, the Sunbeam name, rights to the Tiger and Alpine models and the like, were all owned by DaimlerChrysler. This looks shady, at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought that Sunbeam would have gone with the Talbot rights to Renault in 1981.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought that Sunbeam would have gone with the Talbot rights to Renault in 1981.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Peugeot-Citroen who bought Talbot and Sunbeam, not Renault.

Renault and Peugeot do both have claims to the Alpine name though through Alpine-Renault on one side and Sunbeam on the other.

This new "Tiger" is really a Josse Indigo from Sweden. Maybe Peugeot have sold the rights to the name. They don't seem to have any interest in using it themselves.

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
This new "Tiger" is really a Josse Indigo from Sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still and all its a nice looking car. Anybody have any data like engine/drivetrain/handling?

Radford

Jedi Knight
May guess is that the car was misnamed. All the styling queues and the six inline really suggest and AH 3000.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Sunbeam was a part of the Rootes group, which was purchased by ChryslerCorp (in late '65, I believe -- maybe '66.) I don't believe Chrysler ever sold the rights.

Alpine was a different company -- French. They partnered with Renault to produce those great rear-engined fiberglass rally cars. But Alpine as a company doesn't have rights to Alpine as a car model name (although trademarks have all expired by now -- just ask Ford, which never maintained the GT40 name -- it's now owned by a reproduction parts company.)

Does anyone know if Chrysler (now DaimlerChrysler) ever sold the Rootes Group marques?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Ford & GT40

The rights to the name belong to that company, and that company is now owned by four different people (I think...), one of those owners lives right here in Calgary and has his own Mk IV GT40 that I've personally seen, I've talked with him about that (ownership of GT40 name) and I know that the company itself has more than one owner now, as I believe the company founder passed away.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Peugeot bought the rights to all the Rootes make and model names. They continued to build Sunbeams for three years after buying the name from Chrysler.

Many of the old Rootes model names continued on well into the 1980s and 1990s in the UK, with Peugeots carrying badges such as Alpine, Rapier, Sceptre and Minx. Up until a few years ago you could still buy a Peugeot 307 Rapier. Sadly they have all been phased out now.

[ QUOTE ]
Sunbeam was a part of the Rootes group, which was purchased by ChryslerCorp (in late '65, I believe -- maybe '66.) I don't believe Chrysler ever sold the rights.

Does anyone know if Chrysler (now DaimlerChrysler) ever sold the Rootes Group marques?

[/ QUOTE ]

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Incidentally Renault have since sold their heavy truck business to Volvo, so although the names aren't used anymore Commer and Karrier are effectively part of the Volvo-Renault-Mack conglomeration.

[ QUOTE ]

See above. Talbot/Sunbeam passenger car brands were sold to Peugeot-Citroen in 1981, and the commercial vehicles & Matra brand were sold to Renault. See https://www.sunbeam.org.au/history/ for more info.

[/ QUOTE ]

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
What happened

Gee it seems it has been a long time since I was on the forum.We are still alive but there hasn't been much if any time to work on cars let alone drive them.I puy more miles on the Lister just backing out to make space and then driving back in than driving anywhere.The 62 is in a holding pattern but when I get the better T5 in it will go and hopefully I will get going again.Doubtfull if it will see the road this year as it will get a new interior and a paint job as well.
To all I hope that the highways and biways are conducive to a fun summer.
Did I mention its sunny?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Re: What happened

Great to hear from you Chuck!
I know that even when it's snowing up there, you always see the sunny side of things. Great attitude!
As you are working on your "replica-Lister", I am trying to find time to work on my "replica Austin Ulster". When I get the new crankshaft in my Spridget-racer, Ill get back to work on the Austin.
Great fun, these cars!

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Re: What happened

I'm or was working on the 62.engine compartment is painted,floor patched.new crossmember piece made and installed.Waiting to change the lighter T5 transmission for world class T5.Thats waiting for it as it should be here in the next day or two.Then can install and do the frame cutouts for the exhaust.Once I do get a little more caught up we will get back at it in force.The Lister is running fantastic but still likes to get HOT in traffic.Had it out yesterday for a change and it was so temptng to put the foot into it but I resisted the urge.Police are really cracking down on speeding and modified cars.
I will soon need to bring my 53 Meteor home (original 37000 mile car)from my sons as it needs to be moved due to the heavy equipment coming in to dig for the new addition to his house.My wife wants that one done for her plus she wants a 29/30 ford roadster because it has a rumble seat.I think a Shay would be better for her.We'll have to wait and see how sunny it can be
Yes life is so sunny and 9 grandchildren keep us busy but we love it.You know spoil them and then they go home.Well not really spoil them that much.
May your roads be sunny