• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gremlins and Leprechauns in My Shop!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I finally figured out why my tools are missing from where I laid them! I have these little guys running around! Oh their very careful not to be seen, their great about hiding, but when I turn my back, they sneak up and move my tools somewhere else! They must be coming out of the field of clover I have. Nothing I can do about it I guess, so I'll have to just keep looking where they put the tools. I think I hear one chuckling once in a while, but I can't catch him. :rolleyes: :highly_amused: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They're ubiquitous, Paul. The crew here are wont to not just snipe things, they seem bent on placing 'em in impossibe-to-reach places occasionally. Yesterday, an Alfa clutch fork which had completely vanished when needed was discovered wedged nicely betwixt a cabinet and an MGB block... JUST out of arms reach. And I do hear 'em. Scampering around occasionally in the recesses of the piles of stuff inna garage.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
MOWOGs - If you can catch them and tame them they are good for working under dashboards, but, otherwise, watch out...

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've noticed them in my shop as well. They seem to be more active the older I get! LOL!

G

Ah the Leprechaun, the one car AMC was smart enough not to build. :grin:

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You guys are lucky. Mine have escaped the shop and are now also in the house !

D

Deleted member 8987

We had a big problem in the shop where I worked while in the Navy.
One day, due to the continuous loss of specialized tools, we ordered double the amount. When it arrived, we loaded half into a locked container, fitted the other half of the tools around a spare hand grenade we got from the grunts in the next shop.
Wrapped with a couple of layers of EB Green (submergence depth green duct tape), reached in with a pair of needle nose pliers and puled the pin.
Laid it out on the steel plate workbench when we went home that night.
About 0142 local we were awakened by a very loud noise.
We never had any more issues with stuff disappearing or being moved/hidden my entire tour.
It did take us several days to clean all the leprechaun guts from the fixtures, but, hey, it was worth it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
We had a big problem in the shop where I worked while in the Navy.
One day, due to the continuous loss of specialized tools, we ordered double the amount. When it arrived, we loaded half into a locked container, fitted the other half of the tools around a spare hand grenade we got from the grunts in the next shop.
Wrapped with a couple of layers of EB Green (submergence depth green duct tape), reached in with a pair of needle nose pliers and puled the pin.
Laid it out on the steel plate workbench when we went home that night.
About 0142 local we were awakened by a very loud noise.
We never had any more issues with stuff disappearing or being moved/hidden my entire tour.
It did take us several days to clean all the leprechaun guts from the fixtures, but, hey, it was worth it.

:lol: you are a sick man.

Of course you set in motion events that continue to play out on the international stage even to this day as leprechaun's world wide avenge the death of their loved one by senseless acts of tool and part sabotage.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Leprechauns huh? Here I was thinking it was one of these guys:
grem3.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Shame, I posted this as words of amusement and as I see, nothing is sacred. PJ :sorry:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
PJ, when you get older you have less time to look for things and really do not want to but more (HA). Traps work sometime.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Leprechaun traps cost so much though by the time you factor in the gold coins you have to bait them with and the chance of possibly loosing one or two.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
They do that just to mess with your head.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I have been known in my day to perform a "lucascism" or two. This one was a long distance setup. We used the garage at Watkins Glen International to amplify the signal. The components there include a vintage Bakelite multi-meter ,a Triumph globe, Some Whitworth wrenches, a Triumph TR4a wiring harness, a Lucas Coil, a sacrificial piece of wire in the 3rd hand, a shop rag, and a compass to verify direction. Also in the pic is a captured Lucas Gremlin. The effort seemed to work as the targeted TR6 is up and running currently. I have been known to deal in captured gremlins from time to time
1662254969_e5ee53988a.jpg
Lucascism01 by banjoben42, on Flickr
lucascism parts by banjoben42, on Flickr
Lucascism scene by banjoben42, on Flickr

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wise move. I presume the glass cylinder is to capture the smoke for later return to the wiring harness?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
wise move. I presume the glass cylinder is to capture the smoke for later return to the wiring harness?
Yes partially.. As you see in the last picture, the cylinder fits over the Lucas Gremlin when he is not at work. This keeps him contained, and also provides him with a mini atmosphere with the correct balance of air and electrical smoke to keep him happy.

G

I think some'a you guys might'a let the smoke outta something and it wasn't wiring. :jester: