PDA

View Full Version : Clutch, what does this mean?

Mwalsh
05-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Pre-verto clutch. New slave cylinder and master or slave line.

Operates very close to floor when the throwout stop is properly adjusted and return spring is in place.

Works fine when throwout is backed completely off and return spring is disconnected.

dklawson
05-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Michael. I assume you've done things like check the play in all the clevis pins, the ball end of the lever arm... and the mating socket on the throw-out bearing shaft. FWIW, my clutch is all new with new hoses and rebuilt cylinders and mine engages near the floor.

ThomP
05-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Here's a link to an excellent short article on the clutch demons in a Mini. Believe this. If the items listed are not new on your car: be suspect of them. The lever arm on my clutch "looked" great, but when I replaced it, the system finally started working properly (it was slightly bent).

Clutch Parts Review (https://www.minimania.com/ArticleV.cfm?SCatagory=CLUTCH&DisplayType=Technica l%20Information&CarType=BIG%5FHEALEY%2CMINI%2CNEW% 5FMINI%2CTR%5FSPITFIRE&DisplayID=74)

Mwalsh
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
I think I'm in the same boat....."the lever arm "looked" great".

What is throwing me is that the clutch worked fine when I laid the car up for the winter last November.

So far, since I recommissioned it for this year, it's had a new clutch master, new slave, new slave hose, and just this weekend a new clutch kit.

Like I said, it works fine until I put that bloody return spring on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I guess the next step will be a new lever arm, slave push rod, and clevis pins throughout.

For the time being, since it's running fine without, I'm simply going to leave the return spring off.