PDA

View Full Version : TVR engine advice please

Jmulloy
12-26-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a 1973 TVR 2500M and I'd like to either rebuild the motor or swap in a new one. I have quite a bit of oil burn, but 125 psi across all cylinders and a good leak down test. I'm guess the valve guides are shot. I have 70k miles on the car.

Should I try and rebuild the engine? Swap in a new one? If I go with a new engine, what should I put in? Where can I find one?

John

Mickey Richaud
12-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi, John -

If it were mine, from what you say, I'd go with a top end refresh, drop the oil pan and have a look at the bearings.

You might post your question on the TR side and see what the TR6 crowd has to say.

Good luck!
Mickey

aeronca65t
12-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Agree with Mickey. Rebuild you existing engine. The 2.5 Triumph engine in your car is a nice overall match for the character of the car.

Unmolested original TVRs are getting rarer and more valuable.

Jmulloy
12-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. How much am I looking at to do a rebuild?

aeronca65t
12-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Do you mean if you do it or if you pay someone else to do it?

I did a 1500 Triumph engine (essentially 2/3 of your engine) with new pistons, rings, bearings, thrust washers plus cylinders rebored, valves ground, valve guides knurled and crank reground for about $1700 here in NJ where things are typically expensive.
That's the total for parts and machine shop work.
The machine work was all done locally and I assembled all the bits myself.

So maybe $2300 if you do all the assembly work yourself and there is no crank or block damage

I don't really have any idea how much you would pay someone else to do this. Mickey's idea of checking on this in the Triumph forum is a good one.

On the chance that you have some else do this: the engine is very straightforward and easy to work on. If any mechanic starts telling you it's "exotic" or "fancy" find a different mechanic.

JSD
02-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Hi John, What did you end up doing with your engine problem?
Regards,
Jeff

Grantura_MKI
03-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Rebuild your old lump if possible and keep it original.
best,
D.

Jmulloy
04-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi John, What did you end up doing with your engine problem?
Regards,
Jeff

I dropped in a new GT4 engine from Sam Halkias plus new SU carbs from Jeff Palya. Horsepoer went from 109 to approx. 150.