PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Problems with bonnet fastners

Tinkerman
12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
So, I got some really good info on mounting the attachment fittings from a previous thread, thanks to all who participated! I even got a fastner kit from TRF. I'm ready to go this morning, YEA!
WHOA, the holes in my bonnet are 3/4 of an inch and the Al. grommet is too small. Please tell me that I'm missing something here. The grommet I'm talking about is part #552973. It drops right through the hole without touching anything. Being the clever guy that I am, I figure something is not kosher here.
Your thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.
Tinkerman

6TTR3A
12-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I think it might be bad news....The hole in the bonnet for 552971 (the Dzus fastener) should be the same diameter as 552972 (the retaining washer)

mallard
12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
I think the hole in the bonnet should be around 1/2". I hate to say this but it sounds like the bonnet was drilled out for pins instead of the original dzus fastener. It does not sound like good news unless the body work has not been done.

Tinkerman
12-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Unfortunatly alll of the body work is done. I never checked the hood before it went to the body shop. sigh.
Sounds like its time for pondering and creative thinking.

I am now opening the discussion for creative thinking!

Cheers, Dick

charleyf
12-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I just checked out the hood for a project that I am currently working on. The first hole is original and right at 1/2 inch. The second hole has been molested and is more like 5/8 inch. Thanks to you I now know it is off and will be able to work on it prior to any painting. If you are gong to try to repair your holes I should tell you that the hole is set in a flat depression of the hood. This is so that the grommet for the Dzus fastener sits parallel or flat with the top of the inner fender. If you have a 3/4 inch hole presently, I am guessing that some of that flat depression is still there.
Charley

charleyf
12-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Unfortunatly alll of the body work is done. I never checked the hood before it went to the body shop. sigh.
Sounds like its time for pondering and creative thinking.

I am now opening the discussion for creative thinking!

Cheers, Dick
Is any of the flat depression still there? If so maybe you could find some very thin washers to use on each side of the hood and hold them in with the grommet. I have seen some spring type washers like what I speak of that are very thin.
Charley

Marvin Gruber
12-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Dick,
Post us a picture to let us see what you are seeing. Sounds like double thin washers with the alum grommet or new hood or having current hood welded up

Marv

mallard
12-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Dick: Google (thru-wall bulkhead fitting) then look at the images link this might be an idea. You would have to trim the bottom side and use a c-clip on the bottom but it could work. Problem may come with clearance between the bottom of the fitting and the bracket for the dzus fitting mounted to the inner fender. I hope you find a solution without re-doing the bonnet.