PDA

View Full Version : Brake Failure

stob62
05-27-2005, 09:48 AM
I just drove my '76 TR6 to the store and when I hit ther brakes the first time (other than pulling out of the driveway) the pedal went to the floor. After another push or two they were fine again. I did a brake rebuild about a month ago and they have been fine. Anything quickly come to mind before I start a diagnostic session?

Mark_Gibson
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Only thing that comes to mind is the brake servo. I had a similar problem with my 70 and it turned out to be a servo failing internally. It can get to the point where brake fluid will actually leak inside the car onto the pedal box and make a huge mess. I'd take a look and see if you can see any leakage.Either that or the one way brake servo check valve that attaches to the vaccuum hose. Good luck,

Mark

AltaKnight
05-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a Master Cylinder problem, did you rebuild that when you did the brake rebuild?

stob62
05-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the posts, I'll check your ideas. No, the only thing I didn't rebuild was the master.

PC
05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Are you actually losing fluid?

If you pump the brakes up and then press firmly on the pedal does it hold? Or does is move slowly toward the floor?

PC.

ObiRichKanobi
05-27-2005, 01:39 PM
You might try a brake bleed before you do anything that costs a bunch of money, especially if you get brakes back if you pump them. May have just gotten an air bubble in a line somewhere.

Trevor Triumph
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I had an expereience several years ago after I had repaired the master cylinder. When easing the brakes the pedal went to the floor. When pushing the brake pedal quickly the response was normal. I think I must have put the worn washer back on! When going easy, the fluid could work around the washer. When pushed quickly the fluid couldn't leak around so I had brakes. The first time it happened was scary. At least I got home without incident. T.T.