PDA

View Full Version : TR6 What are Original TR6 wheels with Michelin Red Lines worth?

Jim Shangle
12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I have 4 original wheels in excellent condition with center caps, trim rings and Michelin Red Line tires with 75% tread on my 75 TR6 and an thinking about selling them and putting on a set of 16" Konigs. What do you think? Originals with Red Lines or new Konigs with performance radials?
if Konigs, what are the originals worth?
Jim

LarryK
12-06-2014, 12:21 AM
If your car looks as good as the wheels, you might want to keep them ( in case of selling or showing ) and get the Konigs for street.

trrdster2000
12-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Check the date on the tires, they do have a use by. As suggested, set them a side for show, if you have room.

Wayne

Geo Hahn
12-06-2014, 11:14 AM
here's how to determine a tire's manufacture date:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

if they are old - say 7 years or more - they are suitable for tire swings, not driving.

the rims may be easier to sell [and certainly cheaper to ship] w/o the tires.

ps - i'll add, those wheels look so great it seems a shame to separate them from the car. if you just feel like a change perhaps put them asde for a few years and bring them back when you tire of konigs look. I run an assortment of wheels - steel, wires & vintage alloy just to have some variety.

mallard
12-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Those look like the original brushed aluminum trim rings. If they don't have any curb rash on them they would be worth as much or more than the rims. I bet you could get $300.00 or more on ebay just for the trim rings.

bobh
12-08-2014, 01:49 PM
When I bought my 75 TR6 in 2005 it had the original tires and wheels. We drove it back from Seattle with no problems. I did replace the wheels and tires with a set of Minilite replicas and 215/65/15 tires. When I had the car appraised the appraiser was scheptical about those being the original tires. He lookd for a data code and couldn't find it. I think he said date codes became manditory in 1980. Based on that he agreed the tires were original. The car has 14166 miles when I bought it. We added around 3300 on the drive back to Alabama.
I have the originals in the garage. I figure they will stay with the car if I decide to sell it.
I like the look of the big tires on the TR6. My replicas are 6" wide with the 215/65/15 tires they fit without any interferrence, look great and handle well. If your car is lowered or sags I'm not sure you can go as wide as I did.

BOBH

rooster
12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
here's how to determine a tire's manufacture date:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

if they are old - say 7 years or more - they are suitable for tire swings, not driving.

Further to that, if there isn't a date code, then the tires are too old to be safe.

Geo Hahn
12-08-2014, 05:47 PM
When I bought my 75 TR6 in 2005 it had the original tires and wheels. We drove it back from Seattle with no problems...

You were fortunate. Our local club does a lot of driving and I have seen many tire failures that I would attribute to the age of the rubber. It is a lot more than just an embarrassing delay - one member nearly totaled his Healey - it is still being restored from the tread separation he had in 1998. That's one bad tire.

One day at breakfast that Healey owner (he's now a convert) and I chastised an MGA driver about the age of his tires. I do not know if he believed us then but he had two flats on the way home and after the second one he was certainly ready to concede the point.

BTW - I didn't mean to suggest that 7 years is a drop-dead limit, I was just imagining that few people would bother to buy and mount a 7 year old tire as they will be needing to replace before too long. I do not think there is a firm consensus on how old is too old -- though personally I would not drive on a 10 year-old tire.

Jim Shangle
12-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the input. The manufacture date on 2 tires is X048 and 2 are X507. That makes the December 2007 And January 2008. They ride fine and no sidewall cracks. The rims, trim ring and centers are original. Maybe I should wrap them up and put them in the shed and hold them. The car has 40K original miles but has a few body dings and needs a repaint.

Geo Hahn
12-10-2014, 09:15 AM
I have never seen a date code with an X [or any other alpha character] -- all the 21st century ones I have seen are 4 digits 'WWYY' usually wrapped in a cartouche separate from other codes. Still, it matters not for now if you plan to stash them.

mallard
12-11-2014, 10:27 AM
The 07 in the date code means the tires were made in 1997 making them almost 17 years old. To me they would have no value unless you have a spare set of tires and rims and plan on using them for shows only.

Marvin Gruber
12-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I have a set of unused G800 Goodyears, wonder how how they are?
marv