PDA

View Full Version : General TR looks vs. function?

mtlman8
11-30-2014, 09:13 PM
I've seen side view mirrors mounted on doors ( which I assume was original) And I've seen them mounted on fenders. Is it form or function? Opinions please.

TR3driver
11-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Mirrors were almost always installed by the dealers, whereever they felt they looked good.

Personally, I like the wing mirrors on my TR3 for both form and function. My neck is kind of stiff (from an old car accident) and the wing mirrors (with convex lenses) pretty much eliminate any blind spot from not being able to look over my shoulder. They're also handy when trying to pull out from a line of parked cars (when the view from a door mirror would be blocked by that Expedition that parked almost touching your bumper).

Also, the driver's door mirror on both Stags won't pivot far enough to suit me. I don't care where my rear fender is, I want to see what's in my blind spot.

mtlman8
11-30-2014, 10:35 PM
I mounted mine on the door where the original was, but it is a terrible view. I think the fender is more functional and imo. A Better look.

HerronScott
12-01-2014, 08:24 AM
My first TR4A had one bullet mirror on the driver side fender and the second has bullet mirrors on both fenders. When I restored the first one, I went back with wing convex mirrors on both fenders and will probably do the same when I restore the second one. The TR4A already has enough chrome on the front fenders with the lamp assembly so I felt the wing mirror works better from a looks standpoint and as Randall indicated they also worked well for me function-wise.

Scott

Geo Hahn
12-01-2014, 10:33 AM
tr3s certainly seemed to have been supplied w/o mirrors and almost anything [or nothing] might have been done.

tr4s seem much more consistent in both the specific mirror used and its location that I suspect dealers were offered some quasi-official kit w/ instructions.

you can't go far wrong doing what you like in regard to both safety and appearance... though I can be tough to bring yourself to drill holes in a recently painted/restored car.

if I had two hands for keying [or at least the right hand] this is where I would insert a video clip of raul Julia from 'gumball rally'. you'll just have to use your imagination.

charleyf
12-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I have two TR4s and I put the mirrors on the door. The one problem that I had was getting the passenger side mirror mounted so that it could be used by the driver. I had to align the mirror in a non parallel alignment with the door. Otherwise the mirror will not rotate far enough to be useful.
On the TR3 I use the fender mounting. The only problem that I have had with that mounting is that when in car shows or parking lots people tend to bump into the them and knock them out of alignment. I doubt the low doors of a TR3 would give a satisfactory view especially with the curtains installed.
Charley

PatGalvin
12-02-2014, 04:22 PM
My car didn't come with any mirrors installed (and no holes). So, I opted for what I think is a very cool mirror at the windscreen pillar that doubles as a Dzus fastener for the windscreen pillar. Easy to adjust (within arm's reach) and doesn't vibrate like the rear view mirror does.

Pat

charleyf
12-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Pat,
do you have any sight problems with the side curtains on the car?
Charley

TimK1955tr2
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM
I remember my father thinking that the fender-mounted mirrors function much better because you only have to avert your eyes a relatively small distance from the road ahead, compared to focusing back to a door-mounted mirror, similar to what Randall said above. I have to agree, I think in general having the mirrors on the fenders is more effective now having driven with both, although door-mounted only on modern cars. Fender-mounted mirrors look great on TR2/3 bodies I think....