PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Further to Veneering the Dash....

karls59tr
11-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Instead of using carpenters glue to fasten the veneer to the plywood and then clamping, is it feasible to use contact cement? I realize that you would probably only get one shot at laying the veneer down seeing as how it dries so quickly but does anyone know if the contact cement could actually bleed thru the veneer?:confuse:

Gliderman8
11-14-2014, 12:26 PM
I used Pre-Catalyzed Resin. It will withstand both heat and moisture better than contact cement.

TR3TR6
11-14-2014, 12:38 PM
If you use the veneer with the paper back, it doesn't bleed through. Cut a larger piece of veneer then the size of the dash and do the trimming after you have it glued down. The permatex heavy duty headliner & carpet adhesive works real well. Spray a nice even coat on both surfaces and then use a rolling pin to take out any bubbles and clamp it using a straight board for a day.

karls59tr
11-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys.:encouragement:

Popeye
11-15-2014, 03:42 PM
I believe you should veneer and finish both sides of the plywood dash. This keeps the warping uniform, and in theory therefore keeps things flat. (Obviously the visual quality of finish on the back side is not important!!)