PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A My 1959 TR3a now for sale (ugh)

NutmegCT
11-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Now in Triumph Classifieds, right here on BCF/Panjo.

Yesterday I learned I can't use the left leg (hip) much anymore, so that made my decision.

Will consider even-steven trade for a perfect Porsche 356 ... :jester:

Sometimes ,it just feels like:

https://youtu.be/2vLk1MyAcFE

trrdster2000
11-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear your fast shifting days are numbered. Please accept my condolences and let me give you some encouragement. All of the Jaguar XK8's are automatic and can give a uplifting joy just going to the store. They do have a problem or two, so get some advise if you think about it.

Take care and as they say in England, "I'm not ready for the Knackers Yard yet".

Regards, Wayne (74 and happy to wake up)

TR3driver
11-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Ditto on the condolences.

Have you considered dropping a slush box in the TR3? I'm not sure how practical it would be; but I know one of our local experts (Steve Hedke) built an automatic TR6 and claimed it went together easily. Since the standard TR6 box is an easy fit in the TR3 (I'm running one myself), maybe the auto wouldn't be so hard either.

NutmegCT
11-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks Randall. But my TR3 should stay a TR3. I'd rather have somebody drive it, than me "mod" it.

A small car with Saxomat would be cool however ... hmmmm ... I'm stuck in the 1960s ...

mallard
11-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Tom sorry to hear about your hip, as we get older it seems getting in and out of these cars and even driving them can be a challenge. Good luck and I hope you stay with the Forum. Your kind words, information, and words of encouragement are always welcome.

Keith

TexasKnucklehead
11-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Bummer. Generally I think our cars are devoid of personality, because they are machines and incapable of it. But in some cases, I think our cars develop a personality much like our own -similar to a cat or dog we think we 'own'. In TeeYah, I think the car will miss you as much as you will miss it. -and I hope we don't miss you both. Stay with us Tom. I send my best wishes for you both.

Jerry

toysrrus
11-09-2014, 03:10 AM
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the hip!! As everyone mentions; Stick around & play here for along time to come.

If you recall, about 2yrs ago, when I was in the mkt. to buy a TR3; Yours was certainly right in line. As I manuvered up North to see "My 3 Sons"; I stopped in "Reading, PA" to look at one, (Now Mine), that I did`nt feel I would be able to buy (Considerably above my budget).

There`s no doubt in my mind that your TR will sell quite quickly!!

As someone here mentioned; A "Jag XK8 Auto" or "Jag XJS Conv. Auto" would perhaps fill your need for "Brit Car"? "SPACE, GRACE & PACE"!!!

Stay Well & Best Wishes,

Russ

pdplot
11-09-2014, 05:40 AM
If I had a place to put it and a few more $$, I would buy your car for old times sake since I'm also in SW CT and as I've pointed out on this forum, I raced a TR3 back when they were new. I wrote an article for the VTR magazine a few years ago describing the adventures of that car at Lime Rock. I'll be glad to send anyone on this board a copy if you send me a PM.

BillyB62
11-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Tom, I too am sorry to hear of your ailments.... I'm right down the road from you in Moosup so if you ever need a TR3 "fix", just give me a holler and Lucy and I will be there!

3798j
11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Tom, I too am sorry to hear of your ailments.... I'm right down the road from you in Moosup so if you ever need a TR3 "fix", just give me a holler and Lucy and I will be there!
Now that sounds like a good deal Tom. Nice Bill.

Don Elliott
11-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Tom - Sorry about your hip. I remember when you bought it.

When John Warfield, former Pres. of TRA became a parapalegic, he installed an automatic in his prize-winning TR3A and drove it for years before selling it.

Don't give up ! You can still have years of fun in your TR and when it really becomes the time to sell it, sell it with the automatic installed and throw in the present gearbox as a package. Let the new owner put the original one back in.

That way you can enjoy it knowing it can be "restored" back as original at any time by the person who eventually buys it.

Cheers

Don Elliott

TR4nut
11-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Tom

i cant improve on the words already added here but I too am sorry to hear you are parting with your Triumph - I hope the wanderlust stays with you though I really enjoyed your travel blog with Mac & Phyllis - I am ready to read about the next trip!

Randy

philstr6
11-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Heres a picture of Steve Hedka tr6 automatic,that my dad bought from Steve
Philstr6
Phil

Don Elliott
11-10-2014, 12:23 PM
I saw the blue TR6 at Triumphfest in Ventura just a year after Steve did it for his dad who had suffered a partial stroke and couldn't use his clutch leg or foot.

I seem to remember Steve telling me the automatic came straight out of a Triumph 2000 or 2500 sedan.

Don

tomshobby
11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I have similar trouble due to nerve damage from diabetes. Several years ago I was looking into this and had contacted to the person that made the conversion. After I found out more I decided to make my clutch work as easy as possible. This thread has a little more information. The person that made the conversion sent me the article of how it was done but I cannot seem to find it.
https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3959-automatic-tr6/

I have had thoughts of using a servo to assist the clutch. From what others have said a vacuum servo is not the best approach. Years ago i had a '81 Pontiac with a diesel. It had a hydraulic servo powered by the power steering pump. That might be something worth pursuing. It was the best power brake system I have ever had and might be possibility to change the vacuum brake servo on the TR6 to hydraulic and also add one for the clutch. I have struggled with the TR clutch more as time goes on. Recently driving my newly restored Midget with a much easier clutch the thought has been more on my mind.

NutmegCT
11-10-2014, 02:28 PM
An idea to ponder - a lever at the wheel, to push/release the clutch pedal.

https://www.auto-handcontrols.com/102.jpg

Looks *very* simple, with no clutch modification needed. And much simpler than a full transmission replacement. Don't know if it would fit the TR3, but it's a thought. And ... it's easily removed.

https://www.auto-handcontrols.com/handicaps_inc_controls.htm

I thought about it after reading how FDR used to drive his cars. One is on display at the Hyde Park museum.

Keith_M
11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Tom,
This looks like an interesting idea; much better than selling the TR3. Besides, think how much fun you'll have installing it!:triumphant:

Gliderman8
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Good solution Tom. Why not install that device?..... you can sell the car anytime!

NutmegCT
11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks gents. I've left a message with the manufacturer, to learn details of installation, adjustability, suitability for small two seater, etc.

Time will tell ...

BillyB62
11-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Tom,

Let me know if you need help with the installation. November & December are pretty full, but I'm assuming the car in hibernation until the Spring anyway. I looked (briefly) at the site and this doesn't seem very tough.

Gliderman8
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Tom… have a look at this device. It's a lot cleaner looking and no one knows it's there but you.

https://youtu.be/oiXnVl_KZ70

Gliderman8
11-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Here's the site
https://www.pmeautoconversions.com.au/solutions/driving-controls/electronic-controls/electronic-clutch

Gliderman8
11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Here's the distributors info
elap.co.uk

TR3driver
11-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I seem to remember Steve telling me the automatic came straight out of a Triumph 2000 or 2500 sedan.

2000 I believe. He also got the mounting plate and flywheel from the same car. An important part was that the 2000 has the engine canted to the side, so using that mounting plate wound up with the BW35 sump canted the other way, so it would fit between the TR frame rails.

I've got the article that Steve wrote for the local club magazine, describing the conversion. It's somewhere deep in a big pile of documents to scan, but I could move it to the top if someone is interested.

TR3driver
11-10-2014, 04:07 PM
An idea to ponder - a lever at the wheel, to push/release the clutch pedal.

https://www.auto-handcontrols.com/102.jpg

We had a similar mechanism on my late wife's minivan, to operate the accelerator and brake pedals. It worked well, but the van had power brakes and so it didn't take much force to stop it, plus power steering so it was no problem to steer with one hand while using the other to apply the brakes. I have a feeling it would take a lot of upper body strength to operate a TR clutch with it.

Rhodyspit75
11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
How about leaving the car the way it is and getting a new hip. :tennis:

NutmegCT
11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Get a new hip? Someone already outbid me on Ebay. Still can't find one for Buy It Now.

:banana:

Keith_M
11-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Get a new hip? Someone already outbid me on Ebay. Still can't find one for Buy It Now.

:banana:

Tom,
If you want my advice, stay away from the aftermarket stuff. OEM is the only way to go. :smile-new:

NutmegCT
11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
OEM is pricey. Maybe I can get a long-term federal grant ...

<evil grin>

Geo Hahn
11-11-2014, 05:01 PM
...I've got the article that Steve wrote for the local club magazine, describing the conversion. It's somewhere deep in a big pile of documents to scan, but I could move it to the top if someone is interested.

Mine wasn't buried deep - I have the reprint it in Volume 2 of TRSC's Technical Talk. Here's a quick & dirty copy:

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Hedke1_zps5fc767a6.jpg

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Hedke2_zpsb2e54d5c.jpg

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/Hedke3_zps32aeadc5.jpg

TexasKnucklehead
11-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Here is another thought. I'm not sure there is enough difference, but you might want to find someone (like me) who has the toyota 5-speed and try it out. I know some of you are shuddering... I have the HVDA kit with the hydrolic throw-out bearing and the TR6 McLeod clutch plate in my TR3. My TR6 has the stock set-up. The TR3 clutch is *MUCH EASIER* to push than the TR6. I asterisked and capitalized 'much easier', because I wanted to emphasize it. I would have preferred to quote-ate, underline and parenthesize, but I didn't want to over do it.

Anyway, it's something that's not that hard to do, and lots of people have done it. Might be a simpler solution...

NutmegCT
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Just got more detail on the hand-operated clutch control. Looks excellent for operating the clutch, but you have to hold the lever down to keep the clutch dis-engaged. This seems dangerous, as your right hand would have to hold the wheel, and also somehow shift. Manufacturer actually admitted it's mostly sold for operating the brake on a clutchless (automatic) car.

I'll keep investigating.

tdskip
11-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Hoping you work something out, subscribing to see how this all goes and offering Encouragement in staying active with us in whatever capacity works best for you.

NutmegCT
11-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the encouragement all. Still contemplating ...

Any LBCs with a Saxomat (or similar)?