PDA

View Full Version : A Proper license plate

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 04:54 PM
I have been wanting to get rid of the "generic antique auto" that adorns the Pennsylvania Antique plate for some time. Today was the day!
I think it looks so much better..... now all I have to hope is that the policeman that stops me feels the same way :rolleyes2:

Thanks to David at Plan B Illustration.

NutmegCT
10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
If stopped, you could always say "darn kids"!

Here in Connecticut we have a similar problem. Looks like our DMV only recognizes USA cars as antiques!

https://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/eamer.gif

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Yuck... and I thought the PA plate was bad!

DNK
10-24-2014, 05:05 PM
IS it the car or the driver that qualifies for antique:highly_amused:

Boink
10-24-2014, 05:07 PM
If stopped, you could always say "darn kids"!

Here in Connecticut we have a similar problem. Looks like our DMV only recognizes USA cars as antiques!

https://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/eamer.gif

This could mistakenly mean "old person at the wheel."

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
IS it the car or the driver that qualifies for antique:highly_amused:

I’d love to help you out Don… which way did you come in?

NutmegCT
10-24-2014, 05:29 PM
This could mistakenly mean "old person at the wheel."

In my case, it wouldn't be a mistake ...

https://mybirdie.ca/files/world2019s-oldest-driver.jpg

Boink
10-24-2014, 05:34 PM
I wonder if one can order a prescription windscreen.

NutmegCT
10-24-2014, 05:54 PM
I wonder if one can order a prescription windscreen.

You can borrow mine!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BO1m35-pjWk/TfXmwYUN9JI/AAAAAAAAEgw/NvbAXOSQqE0/s400/PatrickGlover_gradualincline_MindySolomonGallery.j pg

TOC
10-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I just today hung Horseless Carriage rear plates on my 50 Ford. Been avoiding that for decades, but when they want ninety-five bucks to license it, thread 'em.
They give you ONE. No front plate required.
So, I dug out this plate I've had for almost 30n years...from Fords and Flowers in Victoria BC in 86, I think...put it on the front....now we wait to see what law enforcement thinks about it.

Around here it is illegal to put anything on a state issued plate other than what they give you.

But yours looks good.

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Around here it is illegal to put anything on a state issued plate other than what they give you.

But yours looks good.

Thanks, I hope PA's finest feel the same way!

aeronca65t
10-24-2014, 06:49 PM
I like your style, Elliot!

NJ just gives us boring, generic-type plates. Front and rear required on a NJ classic car. All NJ classic tags have "QQ" on them.

The good news is that once I register the car, the registration and tags are free for life.

I have three cars with classic NJ tags. Each car can be driven 2000 miles max per year. No state inspection on cars with historic tags.

My street Miata has a long, Irish tag on the rear with the shorter NJ tag over it.

https://www.freewebs.com/aaplates/images/nj-a.jpg

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 07:32 PM
It's the same here Nial... no registrations, and no inspections. Additionally, the plate can be transferred if you decide to sell.

CaptRandy
10-24-2014, 07:40 PM
In PA you can use the plate that was issued the year the car was built A 58 gets a plate from 1958, one from later say 66 gets the plate issued in 1966. That way the car is period correct. You just have to go to a tag place and make sure the plate you want to use is not being used and they can do the paperwork to have that plate assigned to your car.

sail
10-24-2014, 07:47 PM
https://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/sail8222/unmaintainedroad600.jpg

SaxMan
10-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Maryland has a very generic plate, these days starting with a "Z" or "L" prefix and only the word "Historic" in italics at the bottom. This is the best shot that I have of the plate. I wonder if I substituted the Maryland Seal with the Union Jack would anyone notice?

Maryland has a 3000 mile limit per year and no inspection requirement for historic vehicles. The problem is there is no mechanism to enforce the 3000 mile limit, and with cars only needing to be 20 years old to be historic, a number of folks are using the "historic" designation to be able to obtain cheaper insurance & registration fees. There is talk afoot about changing the laws and making the more stringent, to the point where even the collector gets infringed upon. If the state would simply enforce the law in place, there wouldn't be an issue.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/12334934703_2b87e0af69_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/jMZLkZ)DSC_1401 (https://flic.kr/p/jMZLkZ) by onyxsax (https://www.flickr.com/people/13417903@N00/), on Flickr

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 08:44 PM
I wonder if I substituted the Maryland Seal with the Union Jack would anyone notice?

Be brave....do it! What's the worst that can happen? A $250 fine? What are ya; A man or a mouse? :popworm:

Boink
10-24-2014, 10:27 PM
In Oregon, if you get a "historic" plate, there is a presumption that you are not driving much... namely just to shows and such. Many who get those plates, which are indefinite and require no updates, claim "I was just out testing my brakes" if caught. I sprung for regular, custom, plates (which are expensive)... but must be regularly renewed like normal plates.

Gliderman8
10-24-2014, 10:52 PM
The PA Antique plate is only for use one day per week. I drive my Triumph and scooters more than one day per week and have never been stopped.

TOC
10-24-2014, 11:29 PM
The PA Antique plate is only for use one day per week. I drive my Triumph and scooters more than one day per week and have never been stopped.

he said, putting it in print for the PA DMV to find with google....

DrEntropy
10-25-2014, 11:14 AM
:lol:

3798j
10-25-2014, 11:44 AM
For decades, Pennsylvania's "purple" plate was considered one of the simplest and attractive of any of the states antique plates. Why they switched is unknown. Attending car shows, you see most of those that have the new plate either have a photo of their car, their club logo, or the make's insignia (Triumph owners use either "the bible" or the "wreath") covering that ugly generic old car. Really don't think you'll have a problem with your "modification" Elliot. Looks good.

https://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/3798j/20%20Automobiles/GT62010009.jpg (https://s490.photobucket.com/user/3798j/media/20%20Automobiles/GT62010009.jpg.html)

rick_ingram
10-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Illinois has two different plates available....AV plates (Antique Vehicle) and EV plates (Extended use Antique Vehicle). In wither case, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old. AV plates can only be driven on club events, to repair shoppes, etc. AV plates are renewed every 3 years. EV plates have no restrictions other than they can only be used from April through October each year. EV plates are renewed yearly.

I have "74 BGT" (AV) on my V8, "6 CLNDR" (EV) on my '69 MGC and "72 MGB" (AV) on my tourer. I have "68 MGC" (EV) on my 68 MGC. I run standard personalized plates "MOWOG 1" on my 78 MGB.

PAUL161
10-25-2014, 12:42 PM
This is Oklahoma's Antique plate, not much but, you can request special lettering and numbers, if available. $18.50 per year or $85.00 for 10 years. No driving limit that I know of. PJ

Basil
10-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Our New Mexico antique vehicle plates are about as lame as they come.

We have many different plates to choose from for various purposes. Our normal standard plate, which can be had as a vanity plate as well isn't too bad:

(I have a Vanity like this on one of my cars. Says something different)

We also have a plate celebrating our Centennial, which was in 2012. I like this one better than the standard plate (In fact this plate was selected by the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association (ALPCA) as being the best looking plate in America (yes, I know some may not agree):

A few years ago, we had a contest to design a new plate which was supposed to phase out the standard Yellow/Red plate. However, the winning design was not met with much approval by the public. In fact, most people hate this plate and they are phasing it out. Good riddance. Unless you are right on top of the car you can't tell it is supposed to be a hot air balloon:

Military Vets can get one like this, which I really like (I have this style on my Hyundai Santa Fe):

There are many other specialty plates. A couple of my favorites are:

Route 66 Commemorative (My oldest son has this on his Z06 Corvette):

And the New Mexico Wild Life - extra fees go to a good cause - wildlife conservation.

Then, another favorite is the New Mexico Patriot's plate part of the fee goes to the NM Veterans license fund:

CaptRandy
10-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Glider, check PA antique laws they have changed dramatically in recent years.

Gliderman8
10-25-2014, 06:07 PM
CaptRandy- they haven't changed regarding the "one day" rule. I copied this off of the PENN DOT website:
USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the PennsylvaniaVehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique,classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited toparticipation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.”Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

CaptRandy
10-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Glider I was meaning the plate that can be used instead of the Antique plate not the time to drive.

Gliderman8
10-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Ok, I misunderstood. Yes you are correct about using a plate from the same year as the car. My TR is a '73... Any idea where to look for one?

DNK
10-26-2014, 08:51 AM
On line- Swap meats
That big car show in your state.
The plate in my state for 80 is nothing to write home about.

CaptRandy
10-26-2014, 09:15 AM
You might find one online. There is a flea shop near me in Doylestown that has quite a few plates but that is far for you I think. Wait for Carlisle in May.

mikephillips
10-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Ohio uses year of manufature plates too. Used to be that they were supposed to be driven only to/from shows/events and actual participation in them. Couple years ago they change to allow 2500 mile yearly of unlimited use, but since they don't record starting and ending mileage, you pretty much do what you want. I have a set like this for the 38 MG when complete.

HealeyRick
10-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Don't just buy a plate without determining if it's "clear" first. What that means is the number on the plate hasn't already been assigned to another car. That's especially true if you're looking at a low-number plate the seller is looking for a premium price. Sometimes in states where an antique car can run a single plate, the sellers will split a pair and sell the same number twice. A tag place should be able to help you determining if the plate is clear.

Silverghost
10-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Even more, in Illinois, you can run year of manufacture plates on the car as long as the AV or EV plates are in the car. As far as I can determine, you don't have to have the YOM plates verified. I have 68 plates on my MGB.
Illinois has two different plates available....AV plates (Antique Vehicle) and EV plates (Extended use Antique Vehicle). In wither case, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old. AV plates can only be driven on club events, to repair shoppes, etc. AV plates are renewed every 3 years. EV plates have no restrictions other than they can only be used from April through October each year. EV plates are renewed yearly.

I have "74 BGT" (AV) on my V8, "6 CLNDR" (EV) on my '69 MGC and "72 MGB" (AV) on my tourer. I have "68 MGC" (EV) on my 68 MGC. I run standard personalized plates "MOWOG 1" on my 78 MGB.