PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire 1972 Spitfire wheel bearing dust cover

gugma1997
05-23-2005, 10:25 PM
OK, y'all gonna laugh, but I am having trouble here. I am putting calipers on my Spitfire and thought it would be a good idea to check and repack the front wheel bearings. There is a cover there over the bearing nut (dust cover) that once had a grease fitting in it (I believe) and I have gently tapped, screwed with channel locks and tried prying with a screwdriver, but I cannot get the cover off. It turns, but doesn't seem to have threads and I know those covers on other cars just popped into place, but I don't want to tear it up, so I am asking for some adviced. Be gentle with me...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ....Bob

LastDeadLast
05-23-2005, 11:01 PM
If I remember right, the covers have a hole in the center of them. Screw in a largish sized screw and pull. Just make sure the screw is big enough that you won't pull it out of the cover and bend it up even more.

Mark Jones
05-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Bob;

I got them off using a chisel and hammer. I slowly rotate the front hub and tap the cover off with the hammer and chisel.

AltaKnight
05-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Whatever you do to get them off, they won't look pretty afterwards!

05-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Slide hammer.

The type with the screw in tip, it's a little harsh but it should work. Used it on one of mine that was stubborn, came off with just one shot. Like yours I already had a hole in it, so it wasn't like I was gonna mess it up any more than it already was. I just replaced the cap with a new one afterwards.