PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire No good deed...

Trevor Triumph
10-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I thought I would fix the door locks on the Spitfire. The key did not lock/ unlock the passenger door. The locking routine was the same as a MKI. Spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon fussing with the locking cylinder and the inside of the door- filing the burr off the inside of the door, making sure the metal fingers were just right. Finally it went to together and then the door was permanently locked! I'll take the door off, I thought. Can't do that, the check strap needs to be disconnected. At last the door is on the car, the lock is still unusable, I'm afraid to ever lock the door again. Oh yes, this Brit car ownership is a hobby and it is fun.

T.T.

TR3driver
10-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Door locks? We don need no stinkin door locks!

Darwin
10-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Leave the doors unlocked. That way they won't cut up the top to get in. Ask me how I know?

dklawson
10-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Sorry about the lock. If you don't have a key for this lock anyway, I would drill it out so you can fit matching keyed locks should you decide you really want to lock it. I regret that drilling the lock negates all the effort you have already put into this. However, +1 on not locking to protect the top.