PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Wooden Dash Facia vents

eyesie
10-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Hi
I am installing a replacement wooden dash on my TR4. The dash is from The Roadster Factory. I was trying to install the original plastic facia vents, which appear to just be a push in, however, they are extremely tight, to the point of them bending as I am trying to push them in, & I am afraid of cracking them. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Alan

Darrell_Walker
10-09-2014, 10:45 PM
It may be different on the TR4, but on the 4A the vents go into the metal part behind the dash, and the wood overlays them.

eyesie
10-09-2014, 10:53 PM
After doing a Google images search , I believe you are correct. It is the same for the turn signal indicator & the Ignition warning light. It looks like they forgot about these items when they added the wood.
Thanks for the response.

Geo Hahn
10-09-2014, 11:45 PM
You got it. How the dash looks when ready for the wood:

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR4/metal-dash_zps8bd558cc.jpg

rnpennington
10-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm doin the same thing this weekend - I'll let you know how it turns out for me.

eyesie
10-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Did you put Silicone or a sealant under that dash top? prior to installing windshield?

Geo Hahn
10-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I used no sealant -- but then I live in a mostly dry climate. Once the windscreen is in place everything gets clamped down by the frame really tight.

eyesie
10-10-2014, 07:28 PM
OK thanks. I am in San Diego, so no real rain issues here either. I am searching for a rheostat for the panel. Apparently the unit available is only suitable for metal dash cars, too short for wood dash. Have you come across this issue?

rnpennington
10-11-2014, 07:22 PM
The rheostat is a very simple mechanism. What I did was to get a new rheostat, spread the tabs on the back on both and then change the shaft from the old one to the new one. Works great!

rnpennington
10-12-2014, 11:55 AM
BTW,
Once you installed your dash - were the holes for the ignition and turn signal lights off? After test fitted mine, it looks like this:
This picture was taken straight on. Also, I had the original crash pads recovered, but this dash wouldn't fit with them installed. Fortunately, I had a replacement set from TRF and with those it fit fine??????

I'd be happy if the holes for the lights weren't so far off.

Any recommendations for other wood dashes?

Geo Hahn
10-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Mine are nearly perfect so I never examined whether there is any wiggle room in how the light fixtures are attached.

If you add adding wood to an original metal dash - perhaps that is the cause of the mismatch (I was replacing a wood dash).

rnpennington
10-12-2014, 01:23 PM
As there was a wood dash on it before and the paint doesn't look like it was setup as a metal dash, I am assuming it was a installed either at the dealer or early on. If it was installed at the dealer though, he had crappy woodworkers :emmersed:

HerronScott
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
I would check to see if there's any wiggle room on installing those lamps. How's the alignment on the rest of the dash and do you have a full picture? The amount that they are off to the right seems a bit odd since that would put the lamp hole awfully close to the gauge hole on the right and an unequal distance from the gauge hole on the left.

Scott

eyesie
10-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Bob
That sounds like a good fix, unfortunately, I don't have the old rheostat.
My dash is a TRF unit, I bought off a guy. I hope the lights line up.