PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Caliper help please

ichthos
10-04-2014, 01:43 AM
I am hoping someone can help me in determining the correct caliper parts. I have a 69 TR6, comm#CC30809L. It has 16p calipers. Moss states that after comm#CC29929, 16PB calipers were installed. Would this mean someone put in different calipers at some point? When I pulled the pistons from my 16P calipers, they had the wide groove with the spring retainer clips like you would find in what Moss shows as a 16PB. The ones they sent me have the narrow groove. Could someone have put in the wrong type of pistons at some point? The only difference I can see between the two is really just the type of dust seal each uses. Should I just install the pistons and seals Moss sent me that they say goes to a 16P? Any clarification would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

trrdster2000
10-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Kevin, What number is on the housing? 16P will require the narrow grove seal, if you use this seal in a wide grove it will never seal properly. Someone down the road had a senior moment.

Wayne

ichthos
10-04-2014, 11:38 AM
The number on the housing is definitely 16P. Late last night I downloaded a Buckeye Triumph article on overhauling brake calipers. I just finished reading it this morning. According to the article, pistons can be interchanged. The author used later style pistons with the clip type seals in his 16P calipers because he thought they would seal better. I wonder if that was a design improvement in the 16PB type?