PDA

View Full Version : LED residential bulb question

Gliderman8
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM
I have been investigating replacing the CFL bulbs in my house with LED bulbs. Yes they are expensive but the energy savings could be significant.
We have a light fixture over our kitchen table that uses a 150 watt quartz bulb (long tubular one like the attached pic)
So here's my question... Does anyone know of a LED replacement for these types of bulbs?

George_H
09-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I checked my go to website...1000bulbs.com (NFI) I don't see anything like that. I can't imagine a LED will be made for that type of bulb, the circuits to run a 150w equiv.LED would be too large to fit in that type of fixture. LEDs are the way to go. I started the switch a few years ago and I'm very happy so far. Prices have come WAY down since I bought my first LED bulb.

Basil
09-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I have a couple and like them just fine. When we redid our Kitchen, we also redid all our kitchen lighting and I put a flat 12" x 12" LED light fixture (From Home Depot) above the sink. Really like it!

PS: I'm not aware of replacement for the quartz light you show there.

Gliderman8
09-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys. I also looked at Lowes and online but couldn't find it either. I think I might be out of luck on this bulb. Glad to hear you both like the LED switch. Bas- That LED over your sink looks great. We have recessed lights in our kitchen (BR30's) so replacing them with LED's won't be a problem.

DrEntropy
09-11-2014, 11:42 PM
There are now ~dimmable~ LED lights as well, I'm looking into those as under-cabinet lighting.

Rhodyspit75
09-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Just be aware that the LED bulbs require a compatible dimmer. I have been changing over to the LED bulbs but mostly in areas that I don't use a dimmer. I did install one R 30 that flickered. Other than that they are much better than the crap compact fluorescents.

https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Pages/LCE/DimmingCFLsandLEDs.aspx

HealeyRick
09-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I've been replacing our recessed kitchen lights with LEDs from Costco. They have an ongoing sale so they are about $5.99 apiece. I really like them over the CFLs, which I hated the warm-up period.

GregW
09-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Just be aware that the LED bulbs require a compatible dimmer.

Dimmable LEDs need a compatible dimmer, but that doesn't mean you need to buy a new dimmer. I'm using a Cree 1100lm bulb in my dining room with a 20 year old dimmer.

DNK
09-12-2014, 09:37 AM
I have been investigating replacing the CFL bulbs in my house with LED bulbs....

Actually the saving's between those 2 are not that significant.
Where the savings are is the longevity in the LEDs.
Be prepared to do some reading up on Kelvins and Lumins for comparisons if you're not knowledged on such things.
The color of the LED will surprise you if not.

Do you do Costco Elliot?
They have a good deal on 40 watt A base for vanity's that I have done in of our bathrooms

Gliderman8
09-12-2014, 10:41 AM
I think you're right Don... those bulbs might outlast me!
Don't belong to Costco, but we are members of BJ's, so I guess I will have a look there. I just may try retrofitting one room to see if I like it. In the end, down the road there will be no choice except for LED's as the CFL's will go the way of the incandescent bulbs.

70herald
09-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I have been investigating replacing the CFL bulbs in my house with LED bulbs. Yes they are expensive but the energy savings could be significant.
We have a light fixture over our kitchen table that uses a 150 watt quartz bulb (long tubular one like the attached pic)
So here's my question... Does anyone know of a LED replacement for these types of bulbs?

Here you go but I suspect that it may not put out as much light at a 150w halogen! Also check the size (width and depth the length will be just fine)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R7S-J118-J78-SMD-3014-5050-24-42-60-96-LED-Light-Lamp-Bulb-Warm-Pure-White-/200937936829?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&var=&hash=item2ec8d597bd

Gliderman8
09-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info 70herald but there is no way that bulb would fit in the fixture. We like the fixture so I guess that means living with the halogen bulb.

edit: I just noticed that the seller does not ship to the US