PDA

View Full Version : Propane Regulators

Jerry
08-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Group,
I am visiting my daughter and she tells me that if I want the steaks cooked for dinner, I have to fix her bar b que. I tested it and found that it was not getting gas out of the tank. So I went to Home Depot and bought a new regulator. It now works fine. I am writing to you because this is the 3rd regulator that we have replaced in the last 3 years between about 3 bar b ques. Seems to be bad product to me. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Jerry

PAUL161
08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Jerry, If you'd invite us all over for a cook out, we would be glad to check it out for you!:highly_amused: PJ

Rhodyspit75
08-11-2014, 10:44 AM
For many years I have had to occasionally tap a propane regulator to get it working. Not with a hammer of course but usually with the handle of the grill brush.

John Turney
08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
The regulator on my Weber has worked fine for ~20 years now. I had to replace the burners and grills, but the regulator has been just fine. I've probably jinxed it now, though.

Jerry
08-11-2014, 11:28 PM
yea, but that regulator was made over 20 years ago. The ones that are failing are less than 5 years old. Makes me wonder about quality control.

PAUL161
08-12-2014, 03:51 PM
China has no quality control! That's where all this new junk is coming from! PJ

TOC
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
I've had a couple of instances where I thought a regulator was bad.
The new regulations, which include the new tank fittings, make it so you cannot turn on the regulator (maybe enough for a pilot light) with any control valve for the burners on.
You need to make sure they are off first, then re-open the main valve on the tank.
Dave