PDA

View Full Version : oil additive

pei
05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Has anybody used Lucas additives in there Triumph engines or diff. I use them in some of my newer old cars, and they help. I thought they might help the wear on startup. Finally got the wiring and engine finished after seven years of frame off. It was nice to drive the GT6 again even if it was only off the flatbed to the body shop for door fitting and final paint touchups.
Regards Joe

Rick O.
05-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I viewed a video demonstration of the Lucas oil stabilizer mixed with motor oil in a transparent gear box and was disappointed to see the amount of air entrainment in the product. This was not the case in the control gearbox containing motor oil alone. Where there's air, there is no lubrication. Based on that, I decided not to use any Lucas additive.

LastDeadLast
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
In my opinion, additives are pretty much snake oil. Possibly helping for the very short term, but only masking a larger problem. If you change your oil regularly and otherwise maintain your car, then is this stuff really neccessary?

donbmw
05-19-2005, 11:06 PM
The oil additive I would trust is Zmax, this company makes the only FAA approved after market additive. It has gone throught testing to show that it will do what it claims and not cause any engine problems.

05-20-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, additives are pretty much snake oil. Possibly helping for the very short term, but only masking a larger problem. If you change your oil regularly and otherwise maintain your car, then is this stuff really neccessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Most motor oil warranties are null if you use an additive. We used to get all kinds of literature when I worked for Mobil, and I remember one of the tech bulletins saying how some of these additives can completely screw up the chemistry of the additive package that is in the oil itself. Companys like Mobil and Amsoil spend millions of dollars on R&D for their additive packages, I'd trust what they put in and leave it at that. Also, some of those additives end up leaving lots of sludge and build up inside the engine. Only thing I've ever added to the normal fluids was in my Mustangs, the friction enhancer that Ford sells for their trac-lok limited slip rears. That and water wetter in the radiator.

Oh, and I used that radiator stop leak stuff once when I had a pinhole leak and didn't have time for a few days to get to it. The stuff worked like a charm but man did it crap up the inside of the radiator, they had to boil it out when they fixed the hole. Made me wonder what the inside of the water jackets looked like.

waltesefalcon
05-20-2005, 10:17 AM
If you use a decent oil, and change it regularly, there is no need to ever use an additive.

Mark Jones
05-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Most of Lucas' addtives have been shown to froth; entrained air in the product; which decreases the lubricating properties of the oil. I personally wouldn't use them.