PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A aluminum pedestals

sp53
07-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Well I am putting the aluminum pedestals back on a new rockershaft and the pedestals are tight. Should I boil them in hot water and do ithot with gloves or something or just pound them on with a hammer. Pounding is aspecialty of mine, but the older I get it just seems too course.

TR3driver
07-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Either way should be fine, just don't bugger up the shaft or the sides of the pedestals.

CJD
07-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Steve, have you checked the rockers to make sure they are not to tight too? I had that fun time last fall of rebuilding about 6 shaft assemblies, and not a single one had excessively tight pedestals. I don't think tight is a bad thing, but it would seem to mean the shaft may be a couple thousandths larger than normal...so the rockers should be checked to make sure they are not too tight. Just a thought...

Tinkerman
07-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Many times pounding is a great relief valve. I even have a special heavy duty work bench that I call my "pound-upon bench". That said pounding on aluminum stuff gives me the willies. I would spend some time trying to find out why pounding is needed. Just my thoughts.
Good luck
Dick