PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Gear Shifter Maintenance??

mapleaf
07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm replacing the rubber shifter boot on my 3A and was wondering if there is any maintenance or lubrication for the external shift mechanism that I should do while I am at it? TIA

charleyf
07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
I have usually found a bit of very old grease around the ball at the base of the shift lever. I have also found some levers with very little if any grease around the ball. I would put a light lube of grease around the ball. I suspect that you may have to remove the cap to get access to the ball. I will also say that I suspect that most owners totally neglect this area and never suffer for the neglect. Be aware of the spring and ball like cylinder inside the base of the shift lever ball. It is referred to as the anti rattle. My first removal had that thing shooting across the floor. So lift out the shift lever slowly and be looking for the anti rattle device. It is located at the bottom of the shift lever ball.
Charley

6TTR3A
07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Do you have gearshift rattle or chatter? Read the excerpt from the attached service bulletin. While you have it apart a little chassis grease between the top and inner covers wouldn't hurt.
Frank

mapleaf
07-15-2014, 10:22 PM
I've owned and driven the car for almost 30 years and up until the recent posts on gear shifters I never really thought about lubing the shifter. Fortunately it shifts well and doesn't rattle or chatter so I guess I'll just lube the ball and forget about it for a few more years.
Thanks guys,