PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A These Holes Look Too Big

Got_All_4
07-07-2014, 12:23 AM
The holes on the front fender mounting flange look too large. They measure 5/8". Some are smaller then others. What size should they be and what size washer were use on the bolts?

TR3driver
07-07-2014, 12:33 AM
The holes are deliberately oversize, to allow some leeway in mounting the components. 5/8" sounds about right for the round ones, others are oval. The washers are listed as WM0057, which the hardware catalog lists as being .75" in diameter by .065" thick.

Geo Hahn
07-07-2014, 12:44 AM
If I'm thinking of the same holes... aren't they slotted? Maybe 3/8" wide and 1" long?

I don't know what size the original washers were, I just went to Ace and got what worked.

I do recall thinking that, for once, I was actually using fender washers to attach a fender.

charleyf
07-07-2014, 12:47 AM
I agree with Randall except for the rear most bolt / washer on each side ( toward the firewall). Apparently this hole was a bit larger than the others and they put an even larger washer on this one. This information is provided for concours purposes only. And even at that most people don,t know about it. The one kicker here is that they did not do this on the TR3B because those cars were not built by standard triumph but rather by the Forward Radiator Co.
just some Triumph trivia.
Charley

Crankshaft
07-07-2014, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Geo Hahn;944630]If I'm thinking of the same holes... aren't they slotted? Maybe 3/8" wide and 1" long?

I don't know what size the original washers were, I just went to Ace and got what worked.

I do recall thinking that, for once, [I was actually using fender washers to attach a fender]

luke44
07-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I asked this question a while back. My survey from the TRA 2010 seemed to conclude the rear most 2 washers are larger diameter than the rest.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?91046-TR3-Front-Fender-Washers