PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Gas odor in boot

Lukens
07-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Good morning and happy 4th of July.
I've been trying to track down the source of occasional gas fumes in my TR3. I find I always get a wiff of gas when I open the boot. Today I removed the panel in the boot that covers the tank. The car was restored about ten years ago... everything looks like it was installed yesterday. I could see no signs of leakage around the filler assy, the gage unit, the vent pipe, or the lower pipe connection... no residue. Am I overlooking something?
I'm reaching here, but is there some kind of "magic powder" that I could sprinkle around the fittings that would react to fuel and indicate leakage? (Okay, there's your laugh of the day.)
Edit: I was able to tighten the clamps on the tank and neck, a couple of turns. Maybe that'll solve the problem. To be continued

Russ

Marvin Gruber
07-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Russ
Is this a new tank or original. New Tank, maybe a welded seam is leaking. Original tank could be rusted from inside and weeping a little gas under the bottom. Either way you may have to pull the tank and check.

Marv

sp53
07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeh baby powder will turn yellow around a gasoline seepage, but you might just be smelling the over flow tube; they have a large opening. Moreover, the early tanks leak more because of the weld along the bottom.