PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A No Start?.....Petroronix???

karls59tr
07-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Took the Tr out for a fast run this afternoon. After it sat for awhile and I tried to start it was no go. It cranks but won't fire. There is no spark to the plugs and no spark to the distributor center wire. I wonder if the Petronix has failed? Had it for years with no problem. What test should I do next? Any advice most appreciated.
Karl

Geo Hahn
07-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Many Pertronix users carry a set of points for just such a moment. If you have a set, that is what I would try.

...Had it for years with no problem...

Alas, that's the thing about electronic bits... they can work well right up until the moment they don't.

TR3driver
07-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Before that, I'd make sure you are getting power to the coil/Pertronix. Just a quick test with a voltmeter or test light.

I feel the Pertronix is most likely too; but I feel it's still worth checking the easy things first.

And, just because I've gotten burned a couple of times (on non-TRs), check that the distributor is actually turning. Just leave the cap off and hit the starter button under the hood to see if the rotor turns.

dougie
07-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I had the same problem with my '65 3000 MKiII. I had the Pertronix on it for 10+ years. Replaced the coil, dizzy cap, Pertronix unit, and nothing. Turns out a little bit of rust had developed under the rotor which cause a lack of contact. Replaced that and it fired right up. I now have a boot full of spares....

karls59tr
07-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Before that, I'd make sure you are getting power to the coil/Pertronix. Just a quick test with a voltmeter or test light.

I feel the Pertronix is most likely too; but I feel it's still worth checking the easy things first.

And, just because I've gotten burned a couple of times (on non-TRs), check that the distributor is actually turning. Just leave the cap off and hit the starter button under the hood to see if the rotor turns.

Good call Randall. The wire to the dizzy had pulled out of it's female connector at the fuse box. Best to check the simple things first.
However like CJD suggested I'm going to keep a point set in the car in case the Petronix does go south.

TR3driver
07-04-2014, 11:46 AM
However like CJD suggested I'm going to keep a point set in the car in case the Petronix does go south.
It's awfully fiddly to install points on the side of the road, especially if you drop the nut into the dizzy. I carried an entire point plate for awhile, with points installed and gapped. Then after seeing a local club member stuck on the way home from Portland by a bad rotor; I started carrying an entire distributor, with points, wires and all, in the middle of the spare tire. There is just room for a set of hoses, a fan belt, some fuel line and a Facet electric fuel pump with fittings. I've never needed the fuel pump, but it did come in handy when a member of our caravan ran out of fuel. Everything else I've needed at least once iover the years (and not always had).

doc50
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Just had Advanced Distributor make up a new one for me. I went with points because the owner, Jeff told me that Pertronix modules don't work well in these distributors. Something about random misses because the spacing is too close and there is some magnetic/electrical interference.
That explanation is from a rank amateur (me), of course.

Geo Hahn
07-04-2014, 01:50 PM
... I started carrying an entire distributor, with points, wires and all, in the middle of the spare tire...

Me too. For these cars you can just about hold an entire ignition system in one hand.

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR4/One-Hand_zps97d4a6f4.jpg

If you set it up beforehand (set gap & timing) it is just a drop in to get you going again.