PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Bumper stop on trailing arm - TR6

tr6web
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I just got replacement bumper stops for the trailing arms (the ones right behind the backing plate. The manual says the screw on, but I tried to unscrew one and it ripped off revealing no screw hole. It's like it was glued on. Basically it's a round coin-like top, with a small round bump on top. The bumper was right on top of this . Is am I missing something?

71tr
05-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, I just did the same thing. Beneath the coin shaped item is a screw stud. The rubber bumper is glued to the coin which is attached to a screw. Use your vice grips and remove the coin/screw combo and refresh with the new stops.

tr6web
05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks. I'll try that.

tr6web
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Just finished rebuilding the rear and still can not get these darn things off. Anybody have other suggestions? They just don't budge.

71tr
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Mine were pretty tight as well. I eventually ended-up tearing the rubber away from the metal base. I'd suggest a couple of whacks with a hammer against the side of the base plate then get some vice grips around the metal base itself.

Dugger
08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
I had a very similar problem. I tried heat, penetrating oil, a hammer, and finally vise grips, all to no avail. Mine were frozen so bad, the the *coin* base twisted off leaving the stud in the swing arm. BTW: This happened to both sides. I was determined to mount these rubber bumpers in the arm and removed the swing arms from the car so that I could get my drill press into play. I failed miserably at the attempt; the tops of the broken bolts were recessed in the casting and were angled such that I could not get a drill bit to run straight. So, I mounted the bumpers to the contact shelf above by drilling a relief hole and welding a heavy washer and nut to the panel. I filled my nasty recess (and nasty drill holes) with JB weld and filed smooth for a decent contact area. Okay, its not original but it works and I actually think it is a better solution.