PDA

View Full Version : General TR Seeking good luck

TexasKnucklehead
06-21-2014, 10:43 PM
My wife and I plan to hit the road again in our TR3. The plan is to wait until it cools down a little, towards evening or earlier if there is good cloud cover. We will be leaving Houston on Tuesday (June 24th, 2014) and hope to sleep during the warmest part of Wednesday in El Paso. We hope to be in L.A. before heavy traffic Thursday morning, and be in Sausalito for a wedding on Saturday. Sunday we drive to Oregon, on highway 1. Monday we plan to be in Home, Washington (just outside Seattle). At some point we will head back south, returning by the 6th, via Idaho.

If you happen to be on our planned route, and see me on the side of the road, please stop and introduce yourself. -or wish me luck.

Jer

mallard
06-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Make sure you bring tons of water with you. Arizona will be having Excessive Heat Warnings this coming week, 110-112 degrees and no clouds. I'm not to far off the interstate, South East of Phoenix if you run into any trouble get in touch with me. PM me your contact information if you want, and I'll give you mine. Other than that, Good Luck and have a great trip.

tdskip
06-22-2014, 12:32 AM
I am near (more or less) LA so ping if you need help, food ideas, or want to complain about the traffic.

Keep us posted!

toysrrus
06-22-2014, 05:02 AM
LOL Jer,

Your a bigger man than me! I would`nt do it especially thru the Arizona Heat & LA Traffic.

Happy Motoring Anyway.

Russ

NutmegCT
06-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Yeehaa - another road trip!

Best wishes all along the way, from a guy who drove 7300 miles from Connecticut to California and back.

If I can do it - YOU can do it! Team BCF will support you all along the way.

Best wishes! (and share photos if possible!)

Tom

CJD
06-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Sounds like fun! Well, except for the I10 part. That's the hottest, longest drive in the country with little to see from SAT to PSP. From LA on the trip will be beautiful! One day to make it up Cali 1 will be difficult. The traffic (Sunday drivers) make progress very slow on that road.

I've done that route twice. Once in your direction, and once going the other direction. I did it in 13 days with site seeing stops ('71 Olds Cutlass convertible), and 10 days driving like a bat out of H$&& (averaging 85 in a '66 big block Vette). I logged just shy of 8000 miles on both trips.

So...luck 'O the Irish to ya!

tdskip
06-22-2014, 11:15 AM
SF Bay Area to Portland in one day is a major haul, especially if you take the scenic way via coast or up through Bend (central OR roads are wonderful).

Geo Hahn
06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
That is one tough drive in a side curtain TR.

I am right on your route so here is my phone number if you need it while in the Tucson area: five-2-zero, seven-4-nine, one-1-two-6. I am on the east side of town.

If you are planning on taking I-10 all the way into LA (and it sounds like you are) you might consider the truck route that avoids downtown **** (oops, I mean Phoenix) by taking West I-8 just south of Casa Grande, then north on AZ-85 just before you get to Gila Bend.

I love Phoenix as much as anyone but that alternate route has much less traffic and shouldn't take any more time.

Best of luck!

titanic
06-22-2014, 01:01 PM
SF Bay Area to Portland in one day is a major haul, especially if you take the scenic way via coast or up through Bend (central OR roads are wonderful).
I agree, even if you take I-5, it would be better to plan an overnight stop.
I live in Albany, which is about 70 miles south of Portland. Portland has a very large TR club (PTOA).
Berry

TR3driver
06-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Jer, I think I gave you my phone number. If not, please PM me. Don't hesitate to call if I can help.

Sounds like you are already aware, but JIC, it helps a LOT if you manage to miss the desert during the daytime. I'd suggest finding a place to hide before 10 AM and plan on staying put until at least 8 PM.
Also, somewhat counter-intuitively, put the top up if you have to drive during the day. You'll still get plenty of wind, but having the sun off you makes a big difference. I actually have an old top with the windows cut out, just for that purpose. (Someday I'll have to get it fitted to the current TR3)

PatGalvin
06-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi Jer
Let me know if you need any NorCal support. There are several of us that would be happy to help you out when you get up towards the Bay Area. You have my email address!
Have a great trip and please share lots of photos.

pat

TR4nut
06-23-2014, 09:16 PM
As I told you earlier you kids have fun now ya hear! You know every nut and bolt on that car of yours, I have complete confidence it'll run just fine. You and your wife sitting in those seats all that time, now that is where I have some questions!

Cheers
Randy

apbos
06-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Jer
If you have any problems in our neck of the woods let me know. It will be in the low 90's if you go through the Central Valley of Ca.
Paul

TexasKnucklehead
06-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

We plan to drive at night until we are in Ca. Living in Texas has taught me much about avoiding the sun in the summer. I know there are many places and drives much better suited for a TR3, but we only have so much time, and a lot of people to see. Not to mention a lot of ground to cover. I have Randalls number and plan to meet him for lunch near my sisters place. The drive up 1 is only to Wolf Creek Or, and supposed to be one of our 'shorter' driving days -just over 10 hours.

I changed oil today, topped the transmission, diff, and steering box. Last week I checked the brakes, front end, and rotated the tires. The previous week I installed cruise control. I have maps, addresses, a GPS and a packed bag that fits in the boot. We have 2 cell phones, chargers and a camera. The top is up and I have a modified set of temporary side curtains in case it rains really hard. I'm not sure if my wife or I am more excited to get started.

Cheers,
Jer

Tr3aguy
06-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Sounds fun! Be Careful.........Cruise Control.....Really??

NutmegCT
06-24-2014, 06:44 AM
ditto - cruise control on a TR3?

details! details!

TR3driver
06-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Cruise Control.....Really??
Not a bad idea at all, IMO. My right leg aches on long trips, and cruise control would let me move around. JC Whitney at least used to offer a wide variety of add-on cruise controls.

Some use a magnet on the driveshaft for a speed pickup, others get a signal from the coil. Most use manifold vacuum to operate the servo (the TR3 intake can easily be drilled and tapped for that), but some use an electric servo. After that, it's just getting things mounted.

Here's a shot showing one of the manifold vacuum taps I added to TS39781LO. It's plugged, because I never installed the planned water injection that it was for.
https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS39781LO/th_DSCF0083.jpg (https://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS39781LO/DSCF0083.jpg.html)

I also had one on the front of the manifold, for connecting a vacuum gauge. You can just barely see it in this shot, the black cap sticks out between the vacuum advance line and the exhaust manifold
https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS39781LO/th_P3170006.jpg (https://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS39781LO/P3170006.jpg.html)

TexasKnucklehead
06-24-2014, 11:43 AM
details! details!

I stand at 6'1" -I used to be 6'2", but that's another story. I am a little cramped in a TR3. I already cut 4" of foam out of the drivers seat so the top frame clears my head. The roads in Texas go on forever. It doesn't take more than a few hours until my knee gets cramped. I hope the cruise helps.

As stated, there are kits available. Since I already had a later style intake for my H6Ss, I already had a vacuum port to drive the servo. I got an Equus unit off ebay for a song, and it seems to work fine. The controls are mounted under the dash, and don't look too out of place. The servo is mounted under the apron behind the right head light and must be sought out to be seen. The throttle linkage was secured under my home-made heat shield. It uses a inductive pick-up off any spark plug wire (I used #1). I expect it to be very handy on this trip.

rnpennington
06-24-2014, 06:12 PM
You guys have fun. I envy you the drive (except maybe for the desert part). The Pacific Coast Highway is a blast - provided the fog lifts every now and then and the winds aren't too bad. I did it on the motorcycle from Oakland to Seattle.

Good Luck, I look forward to seeing you when you get back and - if you are lucky - I'll have the new dash installed.

Always remember when driving: If you have the rubber side down - good. If the rubber side is up - not good.

Bob P.

TexasKnucklehead
06-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Cruising at 80 is sweet.

We got on I10 in Houston in time to see the sun set. We got off I10 in downtown El Paso for our hotel in time to see it rise.

The same person who wrote 'a hundred bottles of beer on the wall' must have been in charge of signage between San Antonio and El Paso. The first sign I saw showing the distance was just outside San Antonio. There isnt much between but another 500 or so signs with decreasing distances. Its almost like having a kid 'how much farther now?'

Tonight, the desert...

NutmegCT
06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Hey - congrats on Day 1! I drove El Paso to Fort Worth during daytime, but it was last October and nice weather and temps.

Get the rest you need; the drone of the engine at night can be "overly relaxing". Coffee is your friend.

Best wishes to all three of you - and your TR looks *fantastic*.

Tom

TR3driver
06-25-2014, 07:35 PM
:eagerness:
Look for the sign "Next services 104 miles." That one sure got my attention, last time I drove that route in a TR3. Especially when my buddy's car broke down an hour or so later. We had a brisk discussion about whether to go back or forward.

Geo Hahn
06-25-2014, 08:17 PM
...Tonight, the desert...

Well at least it cools pretty quick once the sun goes down. I'll think of you around 11pm or so when you're buzzing past Tucson. If you need to phone for any reason, do so -- even if it is late.

titanic
06-25-2014, 11:06 PM
I salute your endurance. I remember driving about 860 miles non-stop in a TR3A (also pale yellow), but was only 20 at the time.
Berry

Geo Hahn
06-26-2014, 09:42 AM
No phone call in the night... so hopefully safely in beautiful SoCal by now.

tdskip
06-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Keen on an update

sp53
06-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Good luck Tex I have family in Home and live just over the bridge from there, so if you need something let me know.

TexasKnucklehead
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
We made it into Manhattan Beech Ca a short while ago. I10 was closed for repaving just outside El Paso, which made for a slow start. Traffic in La made for a slow ending. Otherwise, a uneventful drive.

Tucson was still a million degrees when we drove through it and my cruise control stopped controlling. Next fill-up i saw the vacuum hose turned to mush and collapsed.

Thanks all

Geo Hahn
06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
...Tucson was still a million degrees when we drove through it... Next fill-up i saw the vacuum hose turned to mush and collapsed...

Alas, many things that are solids in most of the world (rubber, asphalt, undercoating, etc) are liquids in Tucson. You must visit someday in the winter, meanwhile I'm happy to hear that is behind you and that you have reached the Pacific.

TR4nut
06-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Update time Jerry, update time! Where are you?

NutmegCT
06-27-2014, 06:00 PM
If it's now 5:55pm EST, it's 2:55pm California time. I'm betting (and hoping) they're still asleep!

TR4nut
06-27-2014, 06:04 PM
If it's now 5:55pm EST, it's 2:55pm California time. I'm betting (and hoping) they're still asleep!

They can rest when they get back - they can't stay vampires the whole trip! Then again, who knows? :emmersed:

TR3driver
06-27-2014, 07:23 PM
With any luck, they are walking into Moss Motors just about now. They left Torrance not quite 3 hours ago, headed that way. But if I had to guess, I'd say caught in traffic near Ventura :)

TexasKnucklehead
06-28-2014, 03:26 AM
We were stuck in traffic again. By the time we got to Moss, they were all gone.
My cruise is still not working.
Some of the hills on I101 are so steep and long I had to press the accelerator almost to the floor to keep up with normal traffic flow at 15 over the speed limit. Nice drive, but long, windy, cold and busy. We made it to our Oakland Bay Bridge hotel by midnight.

Tomorrow the only driving we do is to/from the wedding.

But we are still having fun.

NutmegCT
06-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Fun - and safety - is the name of the game. Glad you're still making progress, and thanks for the update.

When I was in the SF area last fall, I was close to overwhelmed by all the traffic; seems that even at 11am on a weekday all the freeways were jammed. I took CA 140 (?) out to Half Moon Bay around 1pm Monday, and it was bumper to bumper and moving only about 15mph for the whole trip to the coast. Yikes.

Anyway, hang in there!
Tom

Geo Hahn
06-28-2014, 09:22 AM
...accelerator almost to the floor to keep up with normal traffic flow at 15 over the speed limit...

At least you were moving. People would come to SoCal to visit me and worry about freeway driving - 'What if I miss my exit?'. I would assure them that they'd see the sign for their exit about fifteen minutes before they got to it.

mallard
06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
You've gone from a million degrees to windy and cold in just a few days. Glad everything is going well, safe journeys.

sp53
06-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Having fun is an art; keep up the good work.

rnpennington
06-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego aka Texas Knucklehead?

TexasKnucklehead
06-30-2014, 04:36 AM
I missed the turn off Ca1. We ended taking it to the end, where it turns into 101. That made us go the long way into Oregon. But the last 22 miles of 1 is unreal. I bet i shifted from 3rd to 2nd or 4th a hundred times in those 22 miles. I cant guess the number of switchbacks, but i know the wheel was never straight. It was like autocrossing, except without the safety nets.
So far we logged well over 2k miles but we dont start back until after Seattle -which we should be Monday.

Hwy1 is every Tr owners dream.

NutmegCT
06-30-2014, 07:29 AM
You're living the dream!

Savor every minute - and share along the way!

Tom

tdskip
06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I missed the turn off Ca1. We ended taking it to the end, where it turns into 101. That made us go the long way into Oregon. But the last 22 miles of 1 is unreal. I bet i shifted from 3rd to 2nd or 4th a hundred times in those 22 miles. I cant guess the number of switchbacks, but i know the wheel was never straight. It was like autocrossing, except without the safety nets.
So far we logged well over 2k miles but we dont start back until after Seattle -which we should be Monday.

Hwy1 is every Tr owners dream.

Fantastic!

TexasKnucklehead
06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
2597 miles to Home/Lakebay Washington without a problem. I was in the passing lane coming over the 4100' pass on I5 and was happy my Tr3 was not one of the lesser cars that could not maintain 75mph up the hill. Our butts are sore and we are happy to be half way. The weather is great. We dont want to go back to Houston heat.

NutmegCT
06-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Halfway - feels great doesn't it!

"We don't want to go back to Houston heat"

I made that decision about 40 years ago.

Drive on!

tinman58
06-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Keep on going! You guys are my hero's! Especially your Wife!

TR3TR6
07-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Jer, you might want to pick up a couple of 2" seat foams to get a little more padding. You guys are doing great!

sp53
07-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear you made it , and well Tex you brought a 90 degree day to Lake Bay and that happens about 4 times a year, maybe. We get a lot of rain here, but the summers and fall are really beautiful.

Geo Hahn
07-01-2014, 09:44 AM
...We get a lot of rain here...

I spent a week in Tacoma and it only rained twice.

Once for 3 days and once for 4.

Good suggestion on the extra padding for the ride home.

TexasKnucklehead
07-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, not without complete incident. Yesterday when we got off the freeway I thought I smelled something burning. At idle, I could hear a grinding/knocking/rattle -but only at idle. Closer inspection this morning showed a very worn rear bushing in the generator. So I pulled it off and put in the spare from the boot.

Since I had to pull the heat shield to get it out, I also found the cruise control cable clamp had come a little loose and slipped, so I hope I am back to cruising.

CJD
07-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Spare generator....and clothes for 2 weeks. Now I'm impresssed!

TR4nut
07-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Spare generator....and clothes for 2 weeks. Now I'm impresssed!

Clothes? I didn't hear him say he packed clothes!

tdskip
07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
I spent a week in Tacoma and it only rained twice.

Once for 3 days and once for 4.

Ha!

Glad the trip is going so well - and thanks for keeping us posted.

rnpennington
07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Hmmmmm. I've never heard of a rear bushing or bearing going bad on a generator :emmersed: Actually I think we both know another guy in Texas that had that problem. Must be contagious .

TR3driver
07-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Hmmmmm. I've never heard of a rear bushing or bearing going bad on a generator :emmersed:
Happens easily if you don't keep it oiled. It's not only right next to the exhaust manifold, but the fan actually sucks hot air past it.

Last time it happened to me, I was out in the middle of nowhere (near what is now the California Poppy Preserve as I recall). Fortunately, I was able to find a McDonald's drink cup in the trash by the road, and used a piece of it (waxed cardboard) to stuff the worn-out bearing. Got us home ...

TexasKnucklehead
07-03-2014, 02:03 AM
We did laundry while at Home.
Seattle set a record high of 94 yesterday. We left this morning and stopped in Spokane for dinner with my sister -it was 93 degrees when we got there. We drove the rest of the way across Washington, across Idaho and are in Missoula Mt. We may make another stop on the Snake River on the way home.

The cruise is working fine. The generator seems ok. I put the temporary side curtains on because there is lightening in the distance but getting closer.

TexasKnucklehead
07-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Today we visited family on the Snake River, Idaho. We are spending the night here in Rock Springs Wyoming. Its been raining for the past few hours. Sometimes hard. Its 57 degrees now. Good thing I brought some side curtains.

For a couple hours the oil pressure was reading 10 or 15lbs low. After the car sat while we visited, it returned to normal. Its odd because it seemed low when i started it in the morning. It was low after I got gas. And low when i pulled off to check the oil level. It was low after I filled up again. Then normal after we visited family -and been fine since.

NutmegCT
07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
oil pressure? what weight oil are you using? You're sure experiencing temperature changes on your trip.

Say ... are you taking pictures ...? <hint hint>

Tom

poolboy
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Fortunately, I was able to find a McDonald's drink cup in the trash by the road, and used a piece of it (waxed cardboard) to stuff the worn-out bearing. ...
I don't know a thing about the Poppy Preserve...but a waxed cup...that wasn't yesterday.

TR3driver
07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
.that wasn't yesterday.
True. Think it was probably 1984, just a few weeks after I got my previous TR3A (a birthday present from my late first wife). No houses for as far as the eye could see, and no cell phone. The area is a lot more built-up today and it's still several miles between houses. Nor do I get cell coverage in the Poppy Preserve, even today.

If you ever happen to be in the area at the right time, the Poppy preserve is an impressive sight. The peak only lasts a few days (and some years isn't worth the effort) but there are poppies open for a couple of months. It's about 90 miles NNW of Los Angeles, well off the beaten track.
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627

https://c3039282.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/homepage/antelopepoppieslarge.jpg

sp53
07-04-2014, 07:19 PM
That oil deal is always unsettling. I have taken many oil gauges apart and just tested some, but I can see how that little brass deal inside could get fatigued over the years, so hopefully it is the gauge. I had a gauge once that would go to zero at idle when the engine got totally warm. The oil could be breaking down also. These cars run rich at different time and pollute the oil--- coupled with the heat and constant driving-- I would change the oil.

TexasKnucklehead
07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I thought I posted when we got in last night but must have been too tired to submit.
I wish I had a pic of passing the 7000' continental divide in Wyoming with the cruise set at 85. I felt like we were on top of the world. We skirted rain all the way to Denver, but not the traffic due to the rain. We went a little east to pass thru Oklahoma and stopped in Amarillo. Now we are on final approach.

TexasKnucklehead
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
We are back home. Tired.

We were gone 11 nights, with 2 non driving days. We were in 11 different states and attended a wedding. We drove across the desert, in L.A. traffic, 200 miles of Northern California highway1, across the cold twisty mountains, over the continental divide, around several rain storms, and back across the heat of Texas. 5,812 miles. As we pulled into the driveway, we were singing 'I can't wait to be back on the road again'.

We had great luck, and appreciate all the positive thoughts.

NutmegCT
07-06-2014, 07:04 AM
It was great to follow along with you on the trip. Thanks for keeping us posted, and for the photos. Got any more?

You deserve a great write-up in a Triumph publication about this. TRA or VTR, or Moss, etc. I really recommend you contact their editors.

Mercedes-Benz did a great article this summer about my own trip. You deserve recognition of your own triumphant "cross country Triumph".

Bravo and well done!
Tom

Geo Hahn
07-06-2014, 08:37 AM
My hat's off to you -- that was a Promethean drive worthy of remembering and retelling.

I see you got a chance to meet up with a famous friend of TRs along the way.

Congratulations on your safe and successful return -- it may be a few nights before you stop dreaming that you're driving the Triumph.

TexasKnucklehead
07-06-2014, 11:52 PM
You deserve a great write-up in a Triumph publication about this. TRA or VTR, or Moss, etc. I really recommend you contact their editors.

Thanks. I have already been written up twice by Moss, and regularly contribute to our local TTR, but I will consider it. I like writing a 'trip report' as it's a great way to relive the event and take time to savor the moments that were rushed. This whole trip could have been considered rushed in a lesser car.

I did get to meet a famous friend of TRs along the way. A personal connection to the person who has helped me, and numerous others, was in order. As I told him, 'doing lunch together' seems an inadequate form of Thank-You for the advice he gives freely, but it was the best we could do given the circumstances. I remain in his debt and am glad that after years of knowing him, we actually met.

I was hoping to also meet Geo, but I did not think breaking down in the desert was worth it. Maybe next time.

Memories, like the cramps in my legs, and sores on my butt, will fade away. I'm sure the dream will last.

If anyone wants to try a trip like this, I highly recommend installing a cruise control. And making some portable side screens. And having a super tolerant companion. And being active on a forum, because everywhere you go, you will find people on the way that offer help if you need it. -the notion of help around the corner can be all we need to be confident. We may have been traveling alone, but we were never alone.

NutmegCT
07-07-2014, 06:38 AM
"And being active on a forum, because everywhere you go, you will find people on the way that offer help if you need it. -the notion of help around the corner can be all we need to be confident. We may have been traveling alone, but we were never alone."

Amen to that! I had a lot more confidence making my trip, knowing BCF members could lend a hand if needed. (and they did ...).

Tom