PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Steering rack placement

doughairfield
06-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi,
I recently had to loosen the Ubolts holding my steering rack in place on my 1964 TR4 and move the rack out of the way to get the fan and extension off the motor. I didn't think to mark exactly where the rack was located laterally in relation to the mount points and now my steering wheel is about 1/8 turn off center. Does the steering rack have to be in a certain position in relation to the mount points or is is ok to just reposition the steering wheel to get it back straight? It will be a major PIA to get the nuts loosened on the rack as the coolant return pipe obstructs the access to those nuts, so if I can just reposition the steering wheel, that would be awesome.

poolboy
06-15-2014, 08:59 PM
The turn signal cancellation may be affected if it's like a TR6.
See how they work with the steering column in it's current position.

KVH
06-16-2014, 03:09 AM
On mine I just loosen the upper clamp at the base of the steering tube near the firewall, then using a 7/16 wrench or socket I remove the locknut and the thru-bolt on the lower steering rod adaptor bracket, then slide the splined rod out, rotate it and put it back in. Now that can take 45 minutes--longer if the spline is locked in there tight. I confess, I'm not sure your way would work or not. The rod has to line up with the pinion. But one thing I am sure of is that when I get my steering wheel off a 1/8 turn it bugs me even though it's pure aesthetics.