PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Is this the proper Boot lid seal?

Got_All_4
06-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Gust got this from the Roadster Factory (item # 608434) and have been working on the drip edge in he boot and decited to lay in the seal to see where I need to do more work and I was surprised to see this seal in he bag. It's like the TR4 seal on my 250's boot lid. I thought all TR3 seals were glued in along the rail? My is a 60 and TS677...

TR3driver
06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Not sure I understand the question. There were two different style seals used on the TR3A, early cars had a square channel that the seal was glued into; while later ones just had a bare edge that the seal fit over. IIRC, the later seal didn't have to be glued into place (although it certainly wouldn't hurt).

TFB
06-15-2014, 06:20 PM
My post 60k seal had to be glued.I believe earlier cars have seal with cut and mitered corners while the later seal is one piece as in the photo.
Tom

Got_All_4
06-15-2014, 11:45 PM
I guess my question is I'm not sure this is the correct seal. The lip that it slips over is tall and the new seal doesn't look like it fits correctly. The only ones I have ever seen are glued in and looks like the seal on the spare tire cover. Anyone have pics of early and late installed seals? I can't be 100% sure this is the original rear end from my car. There was not a lot to work with on my original inner tube and I had it sent out to be restored and it is possible that they use a better rear clip. Although I've been driving this car for 30+ years it never had the proper trunk seal. Just a seal from another brand of cars that I had laying around.

mgedit
06-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Here are a couple from my early TR3 (56). Seal supplied by TRF. Not great pictures, but hope they help. Cheers, Mike

charleyf
06-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Gust got this from the Roadster Factory (item # 608434) and have been working on the drip edge in he boot and decited to lay in the seal to see where I need to do more work and I was surprised to see this seal in he bag. It's like the TR4 seal on my 250's boot lid. I thought all TR3 seals were glued in along the rail? My is a 60 and TS677...
The seal in the photo looks correct for the late tr3. The other issue is which direction the seal leans. Yours looks correct there also.
charley

Kleykamp
06-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Yep. Looks like my '61. I did not glue mine on, but as stated before, it surely would hurt to glue it. If it has the right amount of "tension" at the corners it should stay in place, but occasionally mine would come loose at the corner. I'd just slip it back over the metal edge. Now that it's been on a while it doesn't move.

CJD
06-17-2014, 08:30 AM
That looks like the correct seal for a 1960. I believe you have it set backwards, though, in the picture. I placed mine so the curvature was outward.

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC7362.jpg (https://s1082.photobucket.com/user/cjdurant/media/_DSC7362.jpg.html)

vivdownunder
06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Some post 60K repro seals won't fit correctly. Often the channel in the seal has to be cut deeper so it can drop down on the raised lip far enough for the trunk lid to close. To glue it down, I run silicone into the deeper channel in the seal, fit it, then lower the trunk lid so it just presses the seal down sufficient for best waterproofing. Allow 24 hrs for the silicone to cure.

Viv

Got_All_4
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Ok thanks all. I will probably put a little weather strip glue on the edge just to add a little insurance it stays put.