PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Tunnel installation question 1960 TR3A

Tinkerman
06-11-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm happy to say that I now have tunnel bolted (loosly) to the top three bell housing bolts. I'm un-happy to say that while the driver side lip is flat on the floor, the passenger side is not!
Major problem? Minor problem? Operator error? All of the above?
I might add that the floor is new and the only thing on the floor is a layer of heat and noise reduction material, about .25 inches thick.

Your thoughts and comments greatly appreciated!

Tinkerman

charleyf
06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
How far off of the floor is the tunnel cover?
Charley

Tinkerman
06-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Drivers side is flat passenger side at the bell housing is about 1" and just aft of the hand brake is about 1/2'
Dick

TR3TR6
06-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Is this one of those fiberglass tunnels?

TexasKnucklehead
06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Dick,
The floor pans are not difficult to bend around. You can use a floor jack with a 4" length of 4x4 (that would be a 4x4x4) to push the floor up toward the tunnel. Thread a half inch or so of each bolt starting at one end -probably the end toward the front of the car because the last two bolts near the drive shaft tunnel are the hardest. Once the first ones are started, lower the jack and move the 4x4x4 to the next one to align it. You don't want to raise the whole car by the floor pan, but you will be amazed how much it will move. The tightened tunnel bolts will hold the floor pan in position when you are done. I took some larger (over 1") fender washers and bent them 90 degrees off center to allow each bolt a better grip onto the tunnel. -The pointed bolts are helpful too.

Tinkerman
06-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I loosened up the body bolts I have going into the bell housing and was able to turn the tunnel enough to even out the spacing. It looks much more doable now. I feel that I'm
just tantilizing close to getting it allmost all there. It is also helpful to having a goodnight sleep and then returning to the little problems and find the answer was right there all the time. I have several 4X4's hanging out just waiting for a project. Sounds like I will be useing them to get it all going right. I have to drill new bolt holes because my new floor pan had none. Not a problem though.
Thanks, Dick

CJD
06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Good night's sleep...or a taller beer usually gets the job done.

Tr3aguy
06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Echo Taller thingy!!!

Crankshaft
06-14-2014, 04:18 PM
One of the few good habits I have is to start all the bolts of a group and then go back and tighten them after all have'been started. Alway's helps the wiggle room.

Tinkerman
06-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Yep Phil, you are dead on with that. I usually do that but I just didn't do it , tired or brain dead one or the other or both, heh.
Thanks, Dick

CJD
06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
These cars are definitely "alive", with personalities. I had my tunnel fitting flawlessly when I was doing the body work. I removed it to paint. But then it took hours to get it put back on. There is no explaination, except the car wanted to teach me a lesson. One more beer and I'll figure out what that lesson is...

PeterK
06-18-2014, 06:27 PM
A trick I've heard is to thread bolts up through the floor pan from below to create studs to align the tunnel. Then remove and put each one back in from above after you get it aligned.

Never actually tried it but sounds good.