PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Brand New Speedometer Cable breaks

Bruce100
06-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi all,

Purchased a new TR6 speedometer cable from TRF, installed it, worked fine, then it broke right where it enters the gearbox after a few weeks light driving. There is no angle drive on my 72. Plastic gear is fine. I had very lightly greased it. I have heard both do and don't on the grease. I don't believe there are any sharp bends. It was a bit noisy just before it broke.

The previous cable had broken there too, from PO. Thoughts?

Geo Hahn
06-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Could be that your speedo is intermittently binding. If so, one likely cause is some dirt, dried lube, etc in the works.

If you can find a local speedo shop they can usually make just the inner cable which will be much cheaper than a full replacement.

Telly
06-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Agree that the speedo is binding. I disassembled mine, which is a little tricky, and found the rotating spindle was completely dry and had actually picked up a little aluminum from the housing. Cleaned it up and greased it and it works fine now.

1972triumph
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
in the speedo I had the same problem I just used wd40 to free it up and it's been working for over a year now no pronblems

pdplot
06-09-2014, 11:46 AM
For years I've had a problem with my tach. It's lazy. When I start the car, the needle just sits there, dead. After a few seconds, I rap on the glass and it jumps to life and works perfectly thereafter. Any ideas?

DNK
06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
The speedo and tack cables sold now are now matched to the TR's specs.
A lot of them the cable is to long or the sheath is.
Can't remember which.
There is a company that you send it to that fixes them.
Check Bobby's or Paul's sites for infop