PDA

View Full Version : Camber Compensator

Trevor Triumph
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I have about ten years on the rear spring on the Spitfire. It is starting to show the age by letting the rear wheels sag. I wonder if a camber compensator would help. I know it would aid the handling for that once a year autocross I do at Triumphest. Joe Curry has one for a reasonalbe price, I guess. T.T.

billspit
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't think a camber compensator will help in this case.

Andrew Mace
05-11-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have about ten years on the rear spring on the Spitfire. It is starting to show the age by letting the rear wheels sag. I wonder if a camber compensator would help...

[/ QUOTE ]

If your Spitfire is the later type with the "swing spring," then no, a camber compensator is not going to help. These were designed to work with the earlier "fixed" springs.

Some folks seem to swear by adding air shocks to the rear; personally, I think that's only a band-aid fix. The ultimate "fix" is a new spring, perhaps the heavy-duty version if you can get it (similar to the OE swing-spring from the late GT6 Mk3).

80spitlizzy
05-11-2005, 03:45 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

I tried to "fix" my spitfire sag with the air shocks and while the sag went away, I didn't like the ride and really didn't like the idea that my spring wasn't holding the rear end up as designed.

I replaced the air shocks with KYBs and installed a new spring and she's as good as new!

Darwin
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
The camber compensator is great at reducing tuck under on the older spits, but it will not help in this situation. It sounds like you need a new spring. also check for cracks, bends, etc. on the spring mounting points. New shocks will also help.

VitSport6
05-12-2005, 02:36 AM
I still need to get a CC but as with all thing's Triumph in my house, Its on hold.
WOW Andy, Good to see more posting, Still have a bunch of parts for you...Unless Darwin talks me out of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trevor Triumph
05-13-2005, 08:21 PM
A friend used the air shocks to "improve" the rear suspension but in the process has two cracked fuel tanks. It seems the added stress on the upper mounts tweaked the body and frame. I have a MkI Spit and just happen to have two early GT6s in inventory. I wonder if those could be substituted? It seems the repalcement or rearched spring is the way to go. T.T.

VitSport6
05-14-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a MkI Spit and just happen to have two early GT6s in inventory. I wonder if those could be substituted? It seems the repalcement or rearched spring is the way to go. T.T.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would stay away from rearch, Everything I have seen or heard about on them, They dont last very long and tend to be stiffer, But I have no firsthand knowlage.
I also would think you could use the early GT6 in place of your MK1 spit, But I think it might be a bit stiffer due to the GT6 being a hard top...But its hard to say, You might be better suited to have a heavier duty spring, If you have worn one out in 10 years.
Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif