PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rumble when De-accelarating

jerrybny
05-09-2005, 06:27 AM
I am hearing a rumbling minor backfiring thru the exhaust when I let off the gas and start to slow down. Espiceally when I am in 2nd or third. Any ideas on what is cauing this? Thanks in advance.

vrod
05-09-2005, 06:58 AM
This is typical with a Tr6. There is a fair amount of back preasure with the stock exhaust system, I assume you still have yours installed. With an aftermarket header and free flow system installed, most of this backfiring goes away, it did with mine.

trboost
05-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Jerry,
Some times an exhaust leak might exagerate the rumble on deceloration. A common place to start checking is right at the head. The exhaust & intake nuts have a tendancy to loosen up on this motor with many people replacing intake/exhaust gaskets when they only needed periodic tightening. I've seen this often.
Then keep going down the line to the muffler & look for leaks or holes in the pipes & muffler.
Again, as stated by Vrod, some exhaust gargle is normal to the cars sound.

waltesefalcon
05-09-2005, 09:37 AM
eh, don't worry about it, its really very common.

TR4MAN
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
You didn't say if this has always been the case or just started. It could be the result of the air/fuel mixture being too high. If it sounds like more of a metalic rattle it could be a loose baffle in the muffler. Just some guesses.

jsneddon
05-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Embrace the Rumble !!!! be sure and blip the throttle a little too - your neighbors will love it!

LastDeadLast
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I actually wish mine crackled a little more on decelleration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I thought an increase in exhaust popping can be an indication of a lean mixture, is that correct?

05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Man, it took me 6 months of fine tuning to get that great TR6 rumble-backfire-braaatt noise. Part of the joy of owning a big Triumph! Embrace it, that's what makes you not a Miata....(the California engineers actually tried to build this into the Miata when they first designed it, thank goodness they weren't successful. Kinda like a V-twin rice grinder trying to sound like a Harley. It's never quite the same.)

Bill

jerrybny
05-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Mitch, on a quick check of the exhaust manifold I found 1 or 2 nuts that I was able to tighten. As soon as it cools down I plan to check them all. A couple of them look like they are gonna be fun getting at. I'm imagining that I am probably gonna have to rebalance and adjust the mixture on the carbs.