PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wire Wheels

JPeter
05-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I just finished sand blasting my wire wheels and they look good. I want to paint them now. I will be using epoxy primer and silver Centari with a touch of hardener. I have made 4 small lazy susan style tables so that I can rotate and flip them them easily while painting. I have successfully used this method on quite a few steel wheels - but I can forsee lots of trouble getting paint under and behind the spokes without getting a lot of runs and drips on the spokes themselves. Would any of you be willing to share your spraying techniques and tricks as it relates to wire wheels?
Thanks

dklawson
05-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I have only sprayed wires using spray cans as I didn't have good equipment at the time. It sounds like you're way ahead with your technique and planning than I was.

The only advice I feel I can and should offer is that you might want to find a wire wheel shop in your area and have the wheels checked and trued before you paint them. Once your new paint seals the threads on the spokes, future tuning will be difficult and will ruin the paint.

waltesefalcon
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Don't paint, powedercoat. We have done that on a few sets at work, they look great, and the finish is really durable. Its fairly cheap too.

lesingepsycho
05-07-2005, 10:11 PM
I painted my wheels (as you can see in the picture) and the main advice I can give anyone is 1)Clean well 2) Prime 3)Multiple light coats is always better than heavy coats. That way you won't have to worry about getting in all the cracks and crevices with runs. If you spray from further back so it is more of a mist, you won't get runs and the paint will get in everywhere. Then as long as you spray from front and back and also spray in both directions of rotation, you'll be fine.

JACK

hottvr
05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Even a well masked tire somehow gets stray beads of paint on it somehow. Paint is easily wiped off the black tire if it has been treated with a good tire dressing right before painting.
PS Where in WI do you live? I'm from New Berlin.
Rick
85 TVR 280i
78 MGB
78 Spitfire