PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: In or Out?

arbs_53
05-05-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm wondering what some of you think would be the easiest way to re-install the engine into my TR250. I toying with the idea of removing the transmission and joining them together before re-installing the motor. I'm working alone and I'm thinking I would have an easier time lining everything up properly. And I don't mind the extra work, since I have to replace the seat tracks with new and replace the carpeting. I remember having a tough time separating the two when I took out the motor last summer for a much needed re-build and I think it would be near impossible to get them together while the transmision is still in the car. Did I mention I was working alone?

05-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Dave, how did you remove the engine without removing the tranny at the same time? Unless I am reading your post wrong, sounds like the tranny is still in there, suspended somehow. I am sure that this is not the case and both are out of the car. At any rate, it is much simpler to join the two out on the floor and reinstall as a single unit. Keep the oil pan off, build a wooden box to nestle the engine onto, sitting on the perimeter of the block, and slide the tranny right into place, bolting it up nice and tight. Then, with the car up in the air on jack stands and the front substantially lower than the rear, using a quality engine hoist that will allow tilting, slip the whole unit back into place. Not a real hastle, just a slow go. I have done it twice with no help. Kinda exhilerating.
Just make sure the hydraulics on your hoist are good and the hoist has wheels.

Good luck.

Bill

Mickey Richaud
05-05-2005, 11:07 PM
What Bill said...

And get someone to help you - exhilerating it is, but one can do without some exhileration at times!

Mickey

arbs_53
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
You read the post right, Bill- transmission is still in the car and I have it suspended from the throttle shaft with some 12-2 electrical wire...I suddenly have that sickenening feeling in my stomach that maybe I should have done things a little differently. I hope I didn't do any damage to the mainshaft.

Banjo
05-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Another possibility is to get the tranny out of the car, install the motor, then put the tranny back in through the interior after the motor is in place. But I think the previous idea is less work.
It would make dropping the motor in a piece of cake, cause all you'd have to line up is the motor mounts. And I have installed a couple of trannys by myself (it's much, much easier with help) so it could work well for a one man install.
Just a thought.

Alan_Myers
05-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Hi Dave,

I'd definitely vote for taking the gearbox out of the car and marrying it up to the engine before installing the whole thing. The gearbox by itself is not all that heavy (a gearbox w/OD is a little heavier).

With the two out of the car, it's much easier to check the alignment of gearbox to engine, torque all the bolts, etc. Do as much as possible before putting the assembly back into the car.

A really handy thing to have is an engine leveller, to hang from an engine hoist, or whatever you are using to lift. With a leveller you can tilt the engine/gearbox assembly as you gradually move it into place.

I've removed and installed quite a few engines by myself, but would suggest that it's always helpful to have someone around just in case you need a wrench that's just out of reach or run into a problem.

Good luck!

Alan

05-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Put the TUMS away, Dave, you will be alright. You didn't hurt anything. Just get it out of there and let it rest on the floor.

Bill