PDA

View Full Version : General TR What Did You Do to Your Triumph Today?

glemon
03-22-2014, 05:09 PM
This is a popular topic on another make/marque forum I am on, anything goes, from I autocrossed it at the club autocross, to I put in Iradium spark plugs and waterless coolant, or whatever. Partly social the postings can also provide useful ideas or inspiration to others.

That being said, my answer today "nothing" but I give a long look at my new steering column bushes, but yet again they gave no indication of being inclined to install themselves...

Gliderman8
03-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Installed a new ignition switch, and wanted to have a word (:hammer:) with the guy who designed the padded surround that goes around the key switch on the TR6. What a royal PITA to get it on/off!
Oiled the trunnions.
Bled the brakes
Cleaned the wheel wells while the tires were off.
Installed the plugs and cleaned the wires.
More tomorrow......

sail
03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I looked at it.

charleyf
03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Our local club had its "almost annual" tour of members shops today. So off I went in my TR4 and toured three other member's shops and then ended the tour at my shop where I am working on a TR3.
Temperature today is about 75 with very light clouds.
Charley

john283
03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
I started tightening up the suspension on the tr3 and decided to change the silent blocks to nylon. Ordered them and a bunch of other parts to the restoration moving along. About 40 and cloudy here. Not quite convertible weather yet.

Tinkerman
03-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Finished sealing the windscreen frame. Put a piece of rubber sound deadning above the tranny tunnel. Also searched for a non-existing OD relay and then looked them up in one of the big three catalogs, price was scary. Posted some stuff on the BCF. Mail came and found that the OD pigtails I had ordered had arrived, fast service.
Had a good day, all in all.

Tinkerman

DNK
03-22-2014, 09:31 PM
I looked at it.

My thoughts exactly

Couldn't believe the layer of Pollen

TR4nut
03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
My wife and I drove our 3A to the Hemi Hideout: https://www.hemihideout.com/ - what a man-cave that was!

Trevor Triumph
03-22-2014, 10:41 PM
We, my wife and owner of the Spitfire, drove to the Caledonian Games in Phoenix. Hours of pipe bands, and avoiding stones and poles. Talked Brit cars for rest of the day. The sky was blue, nice breeze, high in the low eighties. The Morgan and Lotus owners were quite happy. Shoulda used sun screen.

PatGalvin
03-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Installed the dash and finished about half the wiring. Was a great day and am really happy with the way it is turning out.

Pat

BEFORE
https://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PatGalvin_bucket/Electrical%20-wiring/IMG_2247Large_zps242d634b.jpg (https://s987.photobucket.com/user/PatGalvin_bucket/media/Electrical%20-wiring/IMG_2247Large_zps242d634b.jpg.html)

AFTER
https://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PatGalvin_bucket/Electrical%20-wiring/IMG_2468_zps3337fc2e.jpg (https://s987.photobucket.com/user/PatGalvin_bucket/media/Electrical%20-wiring/IMG_2468_zps3337fc2e.jpg.html)

toysrrus
03-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Howdy Folks,

(3-22) "Really Nice Day" here in the NW SC area. Mostly Sunny & about 75deg (About time)!!

"Don"; Layer of Pollen? Really!! Next to nothing here in Pickens??

Anyways; Today, Checked all fluids (Normal procedure before venturing out). A hit with the "California Dust Buster". Top down & off to a friends house for a few pints. Crossed paths with a nice looking "Lotus Elise" in the Pumpkintown / Dacusville, RT. 135 area. Who owns that hot little number???

"Pat": Real nice looking gauge cluster!!

Forecast for wk. of 3-24; Cool / Cold (low to mid 50s). When will it end?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Happy Motoring,

Russ

glemon
03-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Pat, making your own wiring harness? Are you going Lucas Bullet Connectors or? I guess if I were going to do my own harness an early TR would be a good choice, pretty simple.

PatGalvin
03-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Pat, making your own wiring harness? Are you going Lucas Bullet Connectors or? I guess if I were going to do my own harness an early TR would be a good choice, pretty simple.

Hi Greg. It's the Advance Autowire Harness. I bought it some time ago, thinking that this resto would only take me a couple years. This is about year 7 and I'm trying to bring it to completion. So, with this harness, I have to terminate every wire. More work than I thought. Hardest part is grouping the wires and getting them to look good (same length, careful routing). Would be 20X easier if I just bought a plug-and-play harness. I'm ensuring lots of good grounds and excited to see how she works with modern wiring (relays, fuses, etc.) Hoping to make some real progress today. Art (Martx-5) has been a huge helpl with my wiring problems. Besides being an expert on this stuff, he has the same harness.

Beautiful days here in Sacramento. Almost 80 degrees and yes, a thick layer of yellow dust on everything.

Pat

RJS
03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Pushed TR4A from barn to garage. Removed wire wheels to have new tires installed at a small independent shop here in town. They have the correct adapters to mount and computer balance wire wheels. I ordered 165/15 Vredesteins but, they got the "T-Trac", not the "Sprint Classic". So, back again next Saturday.

Still not quite driving weather here in CT. Yesterday was mid 50's and today is 30's with big snow predicted for Tuesday night. While car was in garage though, cleaned her up, polished chrome, checked fluids, fogged cyliners and prepared to start it this afternoon - first since early December when I put it away. Oh, I also inspected and ordered new speedo cable and angle drive. Gave up end of season last year.

Also, started organizing my list of projects for 2014. Pretty usual, top of the list is resealing the engine (oil leaks) and rear drive-line clunk. I had Quantum Mechanics fully rebuild the diff several years ago so hoping it's not that again already. Maybe only u-joints or splines on the axel shafts.

Bob

RJS
03-23-2014, 03:06 PM
PS: Triumph started-up like champ today after 4 months under cover. My procedure, after checking everything, is spin engine on freshly charged battery with plugs removed for 10-15 seconds until oil pressure builds. Plugs back in, big shot of starter fluid in air filters, choke on. Crank and the motor fired almost instantly and settled into a nice smooth high idle! Best sound of the year!

Bob

Lukens
03-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I put my grandson in the driver's seat and let him blow the horn as long as I could stand it.

Lou Metelko
03-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I made a big three layer cake for tomorrow's gala celebration for the TR2's sixtieth birthday! The two probably will not be very impressed to be awaken since it will only be in the mid thirties here in NE Indiana tomorrow. Bet it will just grumble something about wake me when it is closer to seventy before going back to snoring loudly.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Jerry
03-23-2014, 11:28 PM
In the 70s here, I took the TR3A out for a maiden drive! A few things to fix but we had a good drive.
Jerry
TR3A

PatGalvin
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
In the 70s here, I took the TR3A out for a maiden drive! A few things to fix but we had a good drive.
Jerry
TR3A
I'm very jealous, Jerry. Glad she is mobile!

DougF
03-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Rebuilt a transmission for future installation in my TR6. OD will be installed as soon as the needed parts come in.

MarshgrassA
03-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Was finally a decent Saturday morning to run the TR4A to Cars and Coffee. Big turn out so everyone was thinking the same thing....spring is here...pollen and all.

mtlman8
03-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Drove it like i stole it!

tinman58
03-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I am taking the TR250 to the muffler shop. We are having the exhaust system done. (with dual exhaust).

DNK
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
I talked to it again today!

mtlman8
03-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Motor Mounts.

tinman58
03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Got the bonnet on. No rain tomorrow so off to the muffler shop.

glemon
03-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Dan, looking good, you are at the fun (its all starting to come together) but stressful (don't scratch the pretty new paint) part. Are you going to paint the stripe yourself? That was one of the more stressful moments for me, all that nice paint, and I am going to mask it off, hopefully even and symmetrical, hopefully sealing well, so paint won't bleed, hopefully the silver will stick and won't have any sort of adverse reaction with the color coat. To make it a little easier (if you are not there already) auto body supply stores sell tape in specific widths including the width that is supposed to be between the two thin outer stripes and the inner stripe (can't remember what it is, but know you can get the right width) this stuff is made for painting cars, seals off well, and also goes around corners and compound curves, so I used it for the two masked off areas between the three stripes as well as the on the two outer edges of the whole stripe ensemble, then supplemented the thin pin stripe tape with some masking tape then paper.

Spent 2-3 hours positioning the tape, fun fun, but I think it turned out OK. Measure twice paint once or something like that!

tinman58
03-27-2014, 12:26 AM
I am going to repaint the bonnet lay down the stripe then clear coat the bonnet and both wings. There is a imperfection that I did not see until the car was out of the paint booth. I will be getting stripe paint this week.

PeterK
03-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Still have 2 feet of snow in front of my TR shop. The 3A is asleep in the upper bunk. BWAAA

Kiowacraw
03-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Finished the electrical!! Next, exhaust and Macy fan then the open road :-)

fpstude
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Today I drove the TR4A to the CAM (California Auto Museum) in Sacramento. It is a 30 mile round trip. I volunteer there working on their cars that they use for events. (It doesn't get much better) Today I worked on a '58 TR3A. It was donated to the museum and will be sold in the near future. Obviously they are worth more in running condition so we help where we can to accomplish this. A new staring solenoid was installed today along with a few other items. Some routine tune up still needed to be done. Working with old cars equals a good day!

2long
03-27-2014, 09:02 PM
If someone donates a car to a museum and the museum turns around and sells it, is that kosher? Perhaps the donation to the museum contemplated a future sale, but that sounds odd.

Dan

fpstude
03-27-2014, 11:18 PM
There are no surprises as to the disposition of cars donated to the CAM. Obviously there are IRS considerations. It is interesting that you responded as the TR3 has Hawaii plates.

PeterK
03-28-2014, 03:47 PM
If someone donates a car to a museum and the museum turns around and sells it, is that kosher? Perhaps the donation to the museum contemplated a future sale, but that sounds odd.

Dan

If you donate a car to a museum, they see it as a contribution and if money makes more sense to them at the time, they sell it.

Trevor Triumph
03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Today we drove a short distance to take some photos of the car for a publication. Such a warm sunny day. Tried to get interior shots- with a top on the car it is difficult, too much shadow.

bigbadbluetr6
03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Today I played look under the dash at all sorts of different colors. One of the wiring diagrams I have says it has 10 colors and the other one has 12. No complications there!!! Haha

TexasKnucklehead
03-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Today the wife and I enjoyed a leisurely drive in the TR3. Top down, sun out, not too hot, not too much pollen and lots of thumbs up. Thanks to John, I now have relatively accurate speed and tach -ometers. My temperature gauge is steady at 185 and it's running great. Crossed off another 5 pictures of my challenge sheet.

At 3,000 RPMs, in 5th gear, I'm cruising at 70mph -and I can tell just by looking at the dash!

Any day you spend a few hours in a TR3 is a great day.

TRWisco
03-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I really dislike WI right now. too cold for a vert, ground is too soft to get the car out of its shed. salt on the roads yet.

rooster
03-31-2014, 03:19 PM
On Sat, I removed the windshield assembly from my 6. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, once I was able to get the two rods loosened up with some gentle tapping via hammer.

Brinkerhoff
03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
I just finished installing Moss's Restrosound stereo and speakers in the TR3. I built a console out of 18 guage steel that fits under the dash like the original but with opposing speakers like an E type . Waiting for the snow to melt here.

tinman58
03-31-2014, 10:18 PM
As I am getting ready to fire up the 250, exhaust is done, and the interior is almost done. I tested all the wiring for the overdrive before putting on the tunnel. Of course after the tunnel is on. I turned on the ignition to bump the motor and the good old Lucas smoke made his appearance. The yellow wire from the dash to somewhere on the trans just completely smoked. Have no idea why yet, but will look closer tomorrow. Hope to start it up tomorrow also..............

fpstude
03-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Today I lubricated the speedometer cable. Hopefully it will dance a little less.

charlie74
04-19-2014, 07:27 PM
not today, but it was my impulse buy for the winter:

https://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/fun_police11/000_00512_zpscb725e7e.jpg (https://s1272.photobucket.com/user/fun_police11/media/000_00512_zpscb725e7e.jpg.html)

poolboy
04-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Cool Charlie !
All I did was drive mine into town to pick up a prescription at walmart this morning..about 45 mile round TRip.

charlie74
04-19-2014, 08:33 PM
thanks Ken!

all mine has gone is about 3 miles so far this season... waiting for the nice(r) weather to make an appearance.

this spring has been a long time coming. it was nice last week, then we got another shot of winter with a final helping of salt. bugga!

i like the gauge, but it is a bit hard to see behind the wheel which is probably a good thing actually. NOS for $60 off ebay. i was really surprised that i was the only bidder!

c74

justin_mercier
04-20-2014, 01:06 AM
Installed a new stereo in the wedge with bluetooth hands free built in and an Ipod dock connection, and tried to tidy up the wiring under the dash this evening. Earlier in the day I attempted to spot weld back on the broken front tow hook attachment to the wedge, but couldnt get good penetration and a good weld, so gave up on it for now. Tomorrow I will replace the door speakers and add a small pair of rear speakers behind the seats. Getting ready for a trip up to new hampshire next weekend with the wedge, and the first New England Triumphs driving event of the year.

DNK
04-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Pulled the pass. seat out of the wedge to get some more measurements for the Patton Miata seat retrofit kit.
Pulled the new block, BACK, out of its crate and borrowed a stand to start rebuilding it.

pdplot
04-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Got the TR6 started after 3 months in Florida. Took usual 30 seconds of cranking when cold. Warmed it up and took off down the road for a couple of miles. It ran fine. I had put some fuel stabilizer in the tank before leaving.

TR4nut
04-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Did one of my least favorite things which is repack the front bearings on the 3A. Need to get the car ready for a big tour with my pals around the Great Lakes region - about 4000 miles starting the end of May. Hope the rear end holds up and I'm not talking about the TR.

Gliderman8
04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Two days ago I repacked the front bearings, and adjusted the brakes. Today I added some oil to the dash pots, got some gas and went on a 50 mile ride in the country side which included going through two covered bridges. After I exited the second bridge, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a right-hand drive Morgan roaring up my a$$... it was a fun day to drive in the beautiful sunshine!

sail
04-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Did a compression test which still looks good after a new head gasket last year, adjusted the valves, messed with the mixture and went for a nice long drive on a beautiful spring morning.

Trevor Triumph
04-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Nothing today but yesterday drove the home form the shop. Carl did a fine job adjusting the valves. Preparing the car for the Rt66 fun run.

Tugboat
04-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Drove it for about an hour to identify bugs I need to sort out before the UBSCC show in Dixon, CA next month. Ran like a dream though there is a distressing clank in the front end on the passenger side every time I hit a bump. Need to check that out.

toysrrus
04-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Happy Post Easter,

it was sunny & temps in the low 70s. Great driving weather.

We had a nice brunch buffet at a place called the "Lighthouse" on Lk. Keowee.

i have a badge with a "Ukranian" Insignia (My Nationality) mounted on my badge bar (Rare little devil). Leaving the restaurant; I find a note on my seat saying "Christ has risen" in "Ukranian! I thought that was pretty cool.

What surprised me was; No contact info was left.

Overall, It was a fun driving day in the TR.

Russ

DNK
04-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Trying to figure what the heck you're suppose to do when you buy ARP flywheel bolts and there is no clearance to put a socket

Foura
04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Took the 4A for a run to bed in the EBC GreenStuff pads that I put in the Wilwood callipers last weekend. The standard pads that Richard Good supplies are very hard, although almost fade proof. I did not have a problem with them, but my wife found the pedal pressure way too high. The car has a TR6 servo and dual circuit master cylinder with ventilated front discs (off a Peugeot!!!!). The EBC pads give better bite at a lower pressure so she should be happy. Happy wife, happy life.

glemon
04-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I started this crazy topic, and hadn't touched the TR250 since....until today, beautiful spring day, maybe even a little too warm, but perfect roadster weather after supper, so I cleared the garage (TR still 2 cars deep in the garage) and she fired right up and went for a nice drive around the neighborhood, ran great, I just love the way it pulls out of tight corners in second gear, the IRS and sway bar work well together to put the power down.

Tugboat
04-23-2014, 01:27 AM
Determined that the previously mentioned clank in the front end was from one of my shock absorbers losing the nut at the top so that it was just sitting there doing nothing.

bigbadbluetr6
04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I've been fighting a starting problem, painted the wheels and changed the center hub cap to the correct color, ordered a top boot from TRF while they are on sale along with a few other things. Had to change the starter solenoid because an wire ear broke off the old one. Got some plywood to make board to go over the tire in the trunk. I've been working on the dash and got my dash lights and taillights to work. Besides the starting problem I'm fighting trying to get the brake lights and taillights to an equal brightness. I'll add a 3rd brake light once I find one I like(any suggestions?) That's about it for now.

justin_mercier
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Installed a lighter outlet with USB ports for my GPS, and went to wire up rear speakers to the rear deck of the TR7 coupe. When I got to removing the 'buckets' behind the seat (which were always kinda useless for storing stuff in anyways) I realized that there's actually quite a bit of space there. I may now be building a speaker box with a 8 inch subwoofer and pair of nice rear surround speakers to fit the space up there instead of putting the 'buckets' back behind the seats. Originally I was just going to cut holes above the seatbelt mechanisms and put speakers there, and put the buckets back, but I think the space would be better used making a speaker box, something nice looking but which will give me good sound quality while driving, because I love cruising and listening to music. This one done in a TR6 that I have bookmarked is an example of what I could do, but I'm thinking of filling in the space flat behind the seats above the gas tank.

https://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/KR4SC/IMG_1532.jpg

Talon
04-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Pulled off the fuel line stop valve on the wall of the engine compartment -- the one that had been bypassed by the previous owner -- and contemplated whether to replace the cork with cork, replace the cork with something else, or leave well enough alone and let the bypass rig stay as it is. The valve does not seem well designed to me.

justin_mercier
05-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Scraped out the seam sealer and most of the asphalt sound deadener in the spare wheel well of the wedge today. The seam under the tire is a known rust problem spot, and I could see some bubbling in the paint at the edge of the seam sealer. Turned out to be a good thing because it was building up a good bit of rust under the sealer and paint, but now it's nice and clean (if un-painted) but wont continue rusting out under the paint.

I'm prepping the whole trunk to be lined with Dynamat Xtreme sound deadening material. I should have enough material for the whole trunk, the insides of the door (where I know i have another rust spot in the driver door too) and the floor boards under the seats. Since I have the factory sliding sunroof, I cant sound deaden the ceiling, but I may be looking at ways that I can make it a bit more air tight up there.

DNK
05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Married the flywheel to the block

Gliderman8
05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Married the flywheel to the block
Who was best man?

Bruce100
05-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Finished up refurbing the rear suspension. Installed rebuilt axles, rebushed suspension/rear spring, new shocks, painted... on the 69 Triumph Spitfire.

DNK
05-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Me,:eagerness: for as long as it took to get it done

PatGalvin
05-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Installed Foil-backed Sound Deadener throughout the interior of my car. This is a very messy activity. The Eastwood Dynamat knockoff is really soft and super sticky. Nearly time for carpet install.

Pat

https://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PatGalvin_bucket/Dyanmat%20Knockoff/photoLarge_zps9bdc5a14.jpg (https://s987.photobucket.com/user/PatGalvin_bucket/media/Dyanmat%20Knockoff/photoLarge_zps9bdc5a14.jpg.html)

justin_mercier
05-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Continued installing the Dynamat in the trunk of the TR7, and started to remove the door panels so I can do the doors next before gutting the interior to do as the above post has done =D

Bruce100
05-05-2014, 12:23 AM
I took it to thru redwoods, Big Basin in Santa Cruz mtns33009....

tinman58
05-05-2014, 09:33 AM
That is one heck of a drive! Charlotte to Santa Cruz!,

poolboy
05-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Not much so far except glance over at it under the carport while I was working in the yard this morning...but in about an hour I,m going for a drive.
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/TR6LucasBadge001.jpg (https://s233.photobucket.com/user/poolboy_album/media/TR6LucasBadge001.jpg.html)

Jerry
05-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Drove mine to the gym this am, and then to 7enterprises to buy parts for my mini. The 7 ent guys politely exclaimed over the car as they sold me another $200 in parts.
Jerry
TR3A
Austin Mini 68
austin Healey 67

tinman58
05-06-2014, 01:51 AM
I put I very nice crease in my pass anger door on the brand new painted door on the 250 !

PatGalvin
05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
I put I very nice crease in my pass anger door on the brand new painted door on the 250 !
Dan, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope it's not a serious setback. That is one beautiful car you're building!

pat

DNK
05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Worked on the Miata seat brackets
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/s526x395/10247266_681859238551867_8867862575683643983_n.jpg ?oh=a25cf54db2a6f74ecc6afc850c885e55&oe=53D036C6

justin_mercier
05-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I finished the dynamat in the trunk everywhere but the bottom of the boot lid. I'm going to take that off and do it somewhere flat to make it easier on myself. After that it's time to do the two doors, and then to gut the interior to do the rest of it.

https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/trunk1.jpg

justin_mercier
05-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Finished the trunk deck lid, and the trunk makes a nice dull "thump" when shut now instead of a clangy CLUMP. I also did the passenger door, but I didn't take any pictures before i closed it back up, the door is noticeably more thumpier instead of rattling when closing as well.

https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/trunk2.jpg

toysrrus
05-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Hi Folks,

I picked up my TR3 from the paint shop yesterday with the Inside of the "Boot & Boot Lid" re-painted. Looks "Purrity".

Happy Motoring,

Russ

glemon
05-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Was last weekend, so I am a couple days late, but drove the tr250 to Omaha for our club's spring show. Car ran like a champ. Some neat cars there including a new Morgan.

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/grglmn/Morgan_zpsbe244b51.jpg (https://s207.photobucket.com/user/grglmn/media/Morgan_zpsbe244b51.jpg.html)

justin_mercier
05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Good lord, I've been battling the glue monster all day. Took the passenger seat out and pealed up the carpets that had been contact glued to the rockers and floor. To get good adhesion with the dynamat I've got to get as much of this glue residue off, and whoever put these carpets in used a TON of spray glue. I almost think sound deadening the sides of the rocker panels, with all the holes and the way they're constructed will actually quiet down a TR7/8 more than doing the doors (which is usually one of the worst spots on a car) When driving, if you rest your hand against the inside of the rocker sill, you can just feel it vibrating and buzzing to every bit of outside noise, and resonating with the exhaust. On the inside, my wedge still has the original heavy padding directly behind the seats and ontop of the gas tank, and it's fairly effective, so I'm just going to leave it there, since dynamat is expensive and that's a big area I wont have to do. I got my LED bulbs for the interior dome light, the map light, and the trunk light today, so replaced the old dim ones with the LEDs and it's much nicer.

It's funny, with this, my 2nd wedge, because it's not such an original survivor car in such perfect shape (although it's 100% rust free, which is the most important thing in new england !) I actually feel free to do the things that I /wanted/ to do with my first one but didnt, like sound deadening the interior, putting a hood liner on the inside of the bonnet with a laurel triumph logo (which will also do some sound deadening of the engine too)

TexasKnucklehead
05-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Saturday was the clubs annual election of officers at joint meetings on Lake Livingston. I filled the TR3 with gas en route to pick up my wife after her yoga class. We made it on time to the later of the meetings and managed a few challenge pictures on the way back to get her car. We dropped her car off at the house and drove the TR3 to a friends another hour and a half into "the country" in the other direction. We spent the night and headed home in the morning with skies that looked like rain was certain. After spots of water appeared on the bugged up windshield, my wife double checked the weather with her i-phone. It was not to rain until Monday, so we figured there must be some mistake -they couldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't true, and we weren't going to stop and put the roof on. A little while later I had to run the wipers. It wasn't long until the bugs were all cleared from the windscreen. I was glad my sun visor was blown off my head on the return trip from the meeting and I was forced to wear a ball cap. The cap keeps my head much drier than the visor. We also noticed that those great looking wind visors I installed on the side of the windshield don't do much for wind, but they do a great job of keeping the rain out. The weather cooperated perfectly because every time we had to stop at a signal light in the little towns, the rain stopped with us. At 75mph, driving on 2 lane roads, the rain-x makes the wiper speed seem unimportant, and the rain just blows on by. We were probably the only people that were smiling at laughing down the road. We made it back into the garage, still as dry as when we left, and drove almost 300 miles without running out of gas (or breaking down).

In a nut shell, we went for a relatively uneventful drive in the TR3.

PatGalvin
05-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Jer, you are my hero. A casual 300 mile drive in your TR3. That is outstanding. Please post some photos!

pat

TexasKnucklehead
05-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Ok, Pat, since you asked...

Here's the signs I got pictures on Saturday. The funny thing about the Moss challenge, is it's more of a memory and organizational challenge than you might think. I know I have few pictures of towns or counties. But, I already had some for M and C, and had a county for W. I like these towns/counties better, but I'm only 1 point ahead of where I was, before talking a dozen or so pictures and watching closely for good vantage points where photography is possible (and driving 300 miles). We opted to not stop for pictures in the rain on Sunday, hoping we'd make it home dry -and we know we will be in that area again soon.

These roads have 75mph speed limits. Texas has some small towns. Maynard, Tx grew from 25 people in 1990, to 200 people in 2000. Pumpkin had a population of 150 in 2000. Coldspring is so large that most Houstonians know it's close to Lake Livingston.

justin_mercier
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
finished gutting the interior of the wedge. In removing some of the cracked and broken asphalt sound deadening under the driver side, i found the edge of the sound deadening in there, because of jack damage (which i hammered out) was trapping water and there's a 1/4 inch wide 4 inch long hole in the floor pan, bleah ! Question now is do I weld a repair (i'm a terrible sheet metal welder) or do I glass it in or whatnot. Already sprayed the whole area down with phosphoric acid (Purple Stuff rust converter) but I'll have to figure out my plan forward before i put the seats and interior back in =)

Got my hood liner from Classic 9 leather in the mail today, so need to take the hood off to install it best.

DNK
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Justin
PICS

justin_mercier
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Justin
PICS

Sorry ! =D

Here's some quick pictures.

As you can see, there was a little bit of rust perforation around the area, plus the one big line I mentioned where the front edge of the stock sound-deadening was, but in general its still very solid down there, with the original paint still intact even.

I haven't finished scraping off all the glue and gunk from the driver side just yet, though the passenger side is done, and I just need to put down the dynamat everywhere the asphalt original deadener isn't.

At the B pillar area, I'm going to just seal up and cover over with the sound deadener the 'vents' that the coup has underneath the black plastic grilles. I can get plenty of air through the sunroof or the front floor vents without holes to the outside of the car right next to my ears =)

EDIT: What you dont see in this pic is that there was extensive jacking damage right where all those little rust holes and whatnot are. Someone at some point put a jack under the floorboard there and lifted the car. I hammered it all back into shape =)
https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/rust.jpg

https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/interior1.jpg
https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/interior2.jpg

tinman58
05-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Pat
Loooooking good!!!!! Are you going to be ready for Dixon?

charleyf
05-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Today we had our annual Funkhana event. We begin with pizza in the park and then do a Funkhana with our LBC's. And then we finish it up with root beer floats for all. Having been the one to put this event on for the last several years, I tried to skip it this year. But the club members enjoy it so much that they insist on doing it again. I have to admit that I enjoy it even if it does take a bit of planning.
Charley

PatGalvin
05-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Hey Dan
No, I'm not going to finish in time. I had a set back. Installed some less expensive Eastwood sound deadener (dynamat hushmat type stuff) on floor and tunnel and it is like runny tar. I'm going to have to scrape and solvent wash the entire floor and replace with new better stuff. It is clearly defective. So, that was a couple days set back. I need an interior, steering column, scuttle vent lid, and then just minor sorting out of whatever I didn't do well. So I am very close but probably won't finish till July. Maybe I can park next to you at the Scottish Games in September?

Pat
Loooooking good!!!!! Are you going to be ready for Dixon?

Jerry
05-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Cleaned up the TR3A to get ready for the Dixon show. Of course found a few more issues with the paint that needed polishing. I find that my polishing skills are ok, but I chicken out in some places, too worried about going through the paint. So maybe it is a 10 step process. Polish, step back for two days, then polish, and so on. See some of you at Dixon. I am going to pack my tools today for setting up the field and show.
jerry

justin_mercier
05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Talked with a friend of mine who has done a good bit of body work in the past, asked him , since I suck at sheet metal welding, if he wanted to do the patch for me. He looked at it, hit the metal around it with a pick hammer and said dont bother welding. he said rest of the metal is solid enough that now that I treated it with phosphoric acid, go get some JB weld and cover over the holes, and that I may need to 'back' the bigger one while the JB weld sets, but that the holes are so small and the metal around it good enough that I can make a permanant long lasting fix that wont re-rust (assuming I dont re-dent the floor pan with a jack to trap water again in the first place) without having to cut anything out and weld.

Went out this afternoon and got some JB Weld and did just what he said to do, and it looks like I'll be able to make it so that you'd never even know there was a hole there. Saves me a bit of work, and it's sandable, paintable, and strong as all heck. If I wasnt doing this sound deadening project, I may have never known the hole was there festering away for years and years to come =P

RJS
05-17-2014, 06:27 PM
After about 6 weeks of planning and parts ordering, today was a big day for the TR4A. Started at 5:30 this morning:
1. Installed new angle drive on the tranny for the speedo cable
2. Installed rebuilt speedometer from Nisonger (with new chrome ring)
3. Installed chrome ring on tachometer
4. Drained and refilled tranny with Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL4 gear lube
5. Replaced slave cylinder. Seals were going bad. BIG bonus is that I discovered old SC had a 7/8" bore. The new SC has a 1" bore (per factory spec) so, I am really excited to try the new, light clutch pedal. I also expect it will no longer operate like an "on-off" switch.
6. Removed hub assembly and differential flange from old splined axle shafts.

Tomorrow, new splined axle shafts go in along with 4 new u-joints. Goal is to get the axles all done and back in by end of the day tomorrow.

Time for a hot shower and cold beverage (or two!)

Bob

poolboy
05-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Greased all 6 U-joints and the axle splines. Adjusted the brake shoes while I was there.
The front propeller shaft thru this access hole in the tunnel after removing the passenger seat and pulling back the carpet.
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/000_0136.jpg (https://s233.photobucket.com/user/poolboy_album/media/000_0136.jpg.html)

The outer axle U-joints were greased when I had the hubs out.
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/100_0604.jpg (https://s233.photobucket.com/user/poolboy_album/media/100_0604.jpg.html)
The only unexpected was minor..an upper bump stop needed replacing.
After a cooling dip in the pool...a test drive followed...then back home for an fried oyster po-boy.

Crankshaft
05-17-2014, 09:13 PM
"Cars & Coffee this morning and a cruise in at "Dog & Suds" tonight. What a day.

Gordon_Dedrick
05-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Nascar All Star Race is in Charlotte this weekend. I live about 30 minutes from the track so I drove out last nite on the back roads. Even the State Troopers gave me a thumb's up!
Gordon

Foura
05-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Finally got the piston in the front SU sliding reasonably well. I'm still not sure what caused it to stick after it ran well for 4600km in 3 weeks last year. I replaced the needle and re-centred the jet and cleaned everything with carby cleaner. Contemplating taking it to a guy I met at the TR club meeting last week. He runs a TR3 in historic racing and is getting 180hp out of it. I guess he knows what he is doing....:fat:

justin_mercier
05-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Installed my bonnet liner from classic9 leather (he's a Porsche guy, but sells liners for british cars too) and finished up most of the dynamat on the interior. Need to finish up the last of it tomororw and glue the floor plugs back in so I can put the carpet and seats back in. It was supposed to be pouring rain this weekend so I didnt hang out in the garage friday night getting it all done, and then it turned out to be pretty gorgeous during the days ! Missed some cruising time because of it =(

https://www.tharkis.com/images/tr7/bonnet.jpg

Tugboat
05-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Drove my TR3A to the UBSCC show in Dixon, CA and had a great time with Pat Galvin looking at Jerry's yellow TR3 and talking with Dan (tinman58) about his TR250 along with a bunch of other really neat cars. Beautiful day!

PatGalvin
05-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Here's Mike, trying to act like he's not totally consumed by the Herald's charm!!

https://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PatGalvin_bucket/IMG_2655_zps5dc5d2eb.jpg (https://s987.photobucket.com/user/PatGalvin_bucket/media/IMG_2655_zps5dc5d2eb.jpg.html)

Tugboat
05-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I knew that picture was going to come back and haunt me.

Jerry
05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
by the way, Dan and his wife won with the TR250 at the show. Nice car! I wish I could paint like Dan and Pat.

jerry

tinman58
05-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Thank you Jerry! For all of you that missed the Dixon show sponsored by the UBSCC, you missed one of the best shows in the west. Almost 300 cars at the show. Most important great people. Pat Galvin, Paul (apos) brought his sweet bug eye. Mike (tugboat) and all the rest. I did not bring my camera (left it on the desk). So I can't post any photos. What a great show! Can't wait for next year. Again thank you Jerry and Katie for a great show.

apbos
05-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Jerry
Thanks again to the club. It is always good to put a face to a name as this group has been very helpful with my projects. Dan is my hero as his work is always up to a very high standard! Hope to see you all next year with one of my TRs.
Paul

glemon
05-20-2014, 09:52 PM
I officially started my Toyota caliper front brake upgrade, Amazon has the right front caliper "loaded" (with pads) right front for $38, but no left front, but still I figured too good to pass up with free shipping so I pounced and will wait for a good deal on the other side, or pay a little more if I get impatient.

justin_mercier
05-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Put the interior back in the car, having finished putting down the dynamat everywhere that needed it. Got all the parts I need to redo the brakes on the tr8 rear axle I'll be replacing the original 4speed rear end with, new shoes, cylinders, clips, etc. Got a box from Victoria British as well... I ordered a pair of wheel bearings for the late model rear axles and a new breather, and decided to tack on an extra differential gasket, though I had already got one from MOSS. Well... i got my box from VB today... and it had the gasket and that's it, the bearings and the breather are now on back order no ETA *sigh* the whole reason I placed the order in the FIRST place was their website said that they were in stock.

DNK
05-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Put the interior back in the car, having finished putting down the dynamat everywhere that needed it. ...
Where the heck are my pics then???:friendly_wink:

TexasKnucklehead
05-23-2014, 04:03 PM
OK, actually this was yesterday, not today but...

I tweaked my latest accessory. It took a little driving to get the servo 'centered'. It doesn't work quite as good as a unit on a new car, but at 75mph, unless you were to notice the indicator light, or my foot away from the pedal -you wouldn't know I was cruising.

The servo is under the apron by the right head light. The cable pulls from my center-pull linkage on my H6Ss heat shield. The TR4 intake already had a vacuum port to power the servo. The inductive pick up in the #1 spark plug is the only obvious modification under the hood.

The only thing this really enforces is the notion that we never really get finished with our car.

tinman58
05-23-2014, 05:31 PM
You know that your door hinges are supposed to be painted!!! I left mine shiny too. I think it looks cool. Brass on a old car is cool.

justin_mercier
05-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Ack. I'm a total knuckle head =( I forgot to take more interior photos for you =/ It totally slipped my mind

Where the heck are my pics then???:friendly_wink:

TexasKnucklehead
05-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Brass on a old car is cool.

I agree. The brass hinges match my brass nuts.

Tonight I was pulled over by an off duty Tomball policeman driving a lifted pick-up truck. He has a 1959 TR3 that belonged in his family since new. We had an interesting discussion and he seems eager to get his TR3 on the road.

Trevor Triumph
05-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Today I repaired the fuel pump. It quit working last night and had to call AAA to get the car home. This morning I tested the fuse and wiring. I pulled back some insulation to test whether power was getting to the pump. When I turned on the ignition switch, the pump came on. Maybe taking things apart cleaned the connections?

Got_All_4
05-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Sanded, filled, sand blasted and primed. All in one day!

justin_mercier
05-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Took measurements for a speaker box for behind the seats and tinkered with the mixture on the carbs to try to get smoother acceleration. Spent more time cleaing and working on the refurb of this new rear-end for the TR7. TR7 brake drums are no longer available anywhere, so I need to figure out how to set up my lathe to re-surface these brake drums that Iv'e got which have a lot of rust pitting and whanot.

None of the shops in my area have brake lathes anymore, so I'm probably going to have to fabricate a mandrel and cone to center and clamp the drum and keep it parallel with the axis of rotation to do it on my lathe.

toysrrus
05-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Hi Folks,

Sat. 5-24 was a gorgeous day @ The Great Scot all English car show @ Furman Univ. in Greenville, SC. Temps were in the low 80's & sunny. There were approx. 75 cars showing & My TR3 took 2nd. place in its class.

Simply just an overall fun day.

Happy Motoring,

Russ

HerronScott
05-25-2014, 10:38 AM
None of the shops in my area have brake lathes anymore, so I'm probably going to have to fabricate a mandrel and cone to center and clamp the drum and keep it parallel with the axis of rotation to do it on my lathe.

Wow, I guess I should feel thankful we still have a shop that can turn drums. I just had a pair done on our old beater car that my son drives (96 Ford Contour) as it was cheaper than buying new ones.

Scott

glemon
05-25-2014, 06:45 PM
I autocrossed it :banana::banana::banana::banana: (Edit) much better than dancing bananas, see below)

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/grglmn/th_autoxvideo_zps70fd293b.jpg (https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/grglmn/autoxvideo_zps70fd293b.mp4)

cjimj
05-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Finished building my spreader and pulled the diff out of my leftover solid axle.

KVH
05-26-2014, 03:29 AM
new muffler for my 4A; and then tuned and set the carburetors; still battling pre-ignition, I'll dial it in somehow

glemon
06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
That being said, my answer today "nothing" but I give a long look at my new steering column bushes, but yet again they gave no indication of being inclined to install themselves...

My quote above from the very first post on this thread back in March, well today I put in the bushings and a new rubber steering column joint, showing there is hope for procrastinators everywhere, and by the way, oh what a difference, should have done it years ago.

Got_All_4
06-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Worked 14 hours on sand blasting the rockers, door seals and rear wing edges. Rust was creeping under the paint so got rid of the old stuff and used a modern day epoxy primer with better corrosion protection.