PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Radiator Colour

Scotsman
02-26-2014, 01:44 PM
What is the original factory colour/finnish for the radiator on a 59 TR3a. Is it Gloss or Semi Gloss Black? I am having a new core put in and would like to get it right.

Thanks

trglory
02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
None of the above, it's radiator paint. Regular paint inhibits heat transfer while the specially formulated radiator paint does not. Check with your local paint supply house or go to Eastwood.com

Joe

Geo Hahn
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
You can certainly paint the tanks and sides with normal paint -- but you do not want a thick coat of paint on the core (fins) where heat transfer occurs.

As noted, there is a specialty paint for this but I just use spray lacquer and give the core a light dusting.

As for color -- The TRA judging guide (available as a download) says that "Radiators and securing hardware should be painted black. The brass tap should be unpainted". It does not specify a level of gloss -- but I would describe the original on my TR4 as semi-gloss. Not a shiny high gloss but also definitely not a satin. Then again, mine might have been a high gloss prior to 50 years of cleaning.

Just for the heck of it (as I will never have the car judged) I also painted the tags on the header tank:

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/RadiatorTags_zps616bc643.jpg

Scotsman
02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
The radiator shop gave me Three options. Gloss. Semi gloss. Flat

trglory
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Use semi-gloss.

Joe