PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Dashboard hole identification

AHS
02-15-2014, 04:07 PM
I've just stripped my dashboard to bare metal, and before I paint & cover it I would like to weld shut any "unauthorized" holes. There's definitely one between the speedometer & tach that the PO probably used for a turn signal switch to bypass the melted mess I found coming from the control head. But there are some surrounding the glove box that puzzle me. The car is a USA LHD model TR3A from late 1957.

There is a hole just off the lower left corner of the glove box door that I am sure is for the windshield washer. It is a large hole with a smaller hole on either side. I have the original dash vinyl, and it was never cut through to expose this, so apparently the car never had the dealer installed washer option.

Above the washer hole by 1.72" is a .187" diameter hole. This ends up being centered between the glove box and center instrument cluster. It was also never cut through the covering.

Off the lower right corner of the glove box door is another 3 hole pattern identical to the washer pump pattern. Once again, this was not cut through the covering.

Just above the previous hole by .82" and slightly left is a .480" diameter hole, also not cut through the covering.

I've been pouring through my dashboard pictures and searching this forum, and I can't identify these last 3 at all. Map light, perhaps? All of them seem to be factory cut holes, and all of them were exposed. Any help identifying the purpose of these holes would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andy

TR3driver
02-15-2014, 06:44 PM
IMO, those holes were cut by a previous owner (or maybe even the dealer) and then covered over. None of my cars have had them. Even the most common washer pump only took one hole, not 3.

It can be really hard to tell 50 year old vinyl from 57 year old vinyl; but the car would have already been 7 years old by then.

CJD
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I agree, and my washer button is left of the Tach, next to the heater control knob.

toysrrus
02-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi Andy,

I too agree with all the replies above. Those holes should "NOT" be there.

Hey; There is a TR2, TR3 or TR3a dash for sale on ebay. You may want to check it out.

Have Fun,

Russ

AHS
02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
This seems like a good time for me to learn how to post a photo.

I agree the number of holes seems high, but I doubt anyone would duplicate the old type vinyl cover with the sewn in steering column notch. This car has been out of service since 1970, but you're right, it's possible it was recovered. The holes are clean & round with only slight burrs. They are obviously drilled, not punched like the D shaped heater & OD holes, but they were cleanly cut.

Thanks,
Andy

AHS
02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
And Russ, thanks for the Ebay tip! There are no unauthorized holes at all in that one, not even a washer pump. It is also from a later car, without the sewn column insert. Off I go to weld...

Geo Hahn
02-16-2014, 11:09 AM
...I doubt anyone would duplicate the old type vinyl cover with the sewn in steering column notch...

The interior kit I used (Moss I think) has the sewn steering column notch.

tinman58
02-16-2014, 11:30 AM
I have a dash that is in good shape. I if you want it it's yours. Just pay for the shipping.

AHS
02-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the generous offer, Dan. But I don't need it, all the holes are closed now & paint is drying. Thanks everyone for the info.
Andy