PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Anyone Looking for an Overdive Transmission?

AngliaGT
02-12-2014, 01:09 AM
There's one on our local craigslist.I talked to the seller,& was told that it wasfor an MG,but found out that it's for a TR6.It's a Jtype. - Doug https://humboldt.craigslist.org/pts/4322708905.html

TR3driver
02-12-2014, 02:53 AM
That's not a TR6 box. Might be Spitfire, though. The OD itself is the same, although a TR6 unit will be set to carry more hydraulic pressure (to handle the higher torque). But, the adapter housing and mainshaft will be different, as will the speedometer drive gears.

Lotta money for "I got ripped off buying this", IMO. Caveat Emptor & all that.

trrdster2000
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Looks like a GT6 box with a late model Spitfire bell housing, (the GT6 has a aluminum housing). Wish it were closer, got a friend that would love it for his Spit. As info, TR6 transmissions have a one piece box and housing, really a pain to cut the bell housing off to stick another tranny on the back of it.

Wayne

Marvin Gruber
02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Thats a Spitfire o/d, they will fit the late MG Midgets with the 1500 Spit motor. Looks pretty rough.

Marv

AngliaGT
02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the correction - I was told that,by the seller,that he first thought that it was for an MG. - Doug

glemon
02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
The O/D box will bolt onto the Spitfire engine used in the late midgets, but I don't think it will fit on the MG tranny tunnel without modification. Lot of rust on that thing, including parts that are usually protected by a layer of dirty grease, looks like the mainshaft coming out of the tranny is rusty, trannies and presumably overdrive can also rust stuck. A good price if ready to go (doubt it) but I wouldn't buy without a pretty good face to tranny inspection.